Installing Slimserver on LS - noob problem

  • oui_luv_haley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4 6:10 PM
      Hi All! I've been following the excellent directions for installing
      Slimserver on the LS-120 found at http://fieldnetworks.com The LS-120
      is running firmware 1.45. After having successfully created, executed
      and verified the script file to change the permission for the passwd
      file I am unable to make a backup copy of this file. While in the /etc
      directory and initiating 'cp passwd passwd-backup' I recieve the the
      following message: 'cp: cannot create regular file 'passwd-back':
      Permission denied' What's going on here? What am I missing?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Marc D. Field
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12 2:32 PM
        On 08/04/2005 06:10 PM, oui_luv_haley wrote:
        > Hi All! I've been following the excellent directions for installing
        > Slimserver on the LS-120 found at http://fieldnetworks.com The LS-120
        > is running firmware 1.45. After having successfully created, executed
        > and verified the script file to change the permission for the passwd
        > file I am unable to make a backup copy of this file. While in the /etc
        > directory and initiating 'cp passwd passwd-backup' I recieve the the
        > following message: 'cp: cannot create regular file 'passwd-back':
        > Permission denied' What's going on here? What am I missing?

        Hi,

        Can you try this instead to back up the file:

        mkdir /mnt/temp-backup
        cp /etc/passwd /mnt/temp-backup/passwd-backup

        If that works (and I think it will), then I overlooked something in the
        suggestion on my website to back up the /etc/passwd file, namely that
        until you are root, you do not have permission to write to /etc. Please
        confirm it works -- and I'll fix the website in the next edit. Sorry
        about that!

        Marc
      • Jim Arnold
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14 11:29 AM
          Ok, did what you outlined below and it worked like a champ.  Thanks!