Re: USB drive connected to LS and TS ?

  • simonashley
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
      Apologies, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"
      <simonashley@y...> wrote:
      > I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
      > directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
      > linkstation (regardless of the format).
      >
      > I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
      > (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from
      the
      > linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
      > files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
      > the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer
      is
      > going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router
      then
      > back to the linkstation.
      >
      > Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
      > formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when
      accessed
      > from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
      > to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it
      could
      > do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
      > appreciated.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
      > think
      > > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS
      on
      > the LS or
      > > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
      > you didn't
      > > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

      USB
      > > > USB
      > > > drive
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"

      TS
      > and

      > ---
      > > > --

      href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hck18go/M=362329.6886308.7839368.

      1510227/D=groups/S=1705004750:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123110920/A=2894321/R=0
      > talk

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • -/\-
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2005
        You didn't :0)
        Good points !

        "simonashley" <simonashley@...> wrote in
        message news:dct7fn+6n46@......

        <simonashley@y...> wrote:
        > I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
        > directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
        > linkstation (regardless of the format).
        >
        > I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
        > (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from
        the
        > linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
        > files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
        > the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer
        is
        > going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router
        then
        > back to the linkstation.
        >
        > Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
        > formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when
        accessed
        > from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
        > to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it
        could
        > do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
        > appreciated.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James
        > Ronald"
        > <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
        > think
        > > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS
        on
        > the LS or
        > > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
        > you didn't
        > > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

        Yahoo! Groups Links