Re: USB drive connected to LS and TS ?

  • simonashley
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
      I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
      directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
      linkstation (regardless of the format).

      I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
      (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from the
      linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
      files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
      the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer is
      going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router then
      back to the linkstation.

      Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
      formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when accessed
      from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
      to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it could
      do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
      appreciated.

      <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
      think
      > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS on
      the LS or
      > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
      you didn't
      > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

      TS ?

      > >I guess I didn't explain it well :)
      > > I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB
      > > USB
      > > drive
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > >> Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
      > >> Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
      > >> files permissions when done.

      TS ?

      > >> see the
      > >> network ?

      > > --
      > >> --~-->

      href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hck18go/M=362329.6886308.7839368.

      1510227/D=groups/S=1705004750:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123110920/A=2894321/R=0
      > >> /SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992

      > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • simonashley
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
        Apologies, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"

      • -/\-
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2005
          You didn't :0)
          Good points !

          "simonashley" <simonashley@...> wrote in
          message news:dct7fn+6n46@......

          <simonashley@y...> wrote:
          > I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
          > directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
          > linkstation (regardless of the format).
          >
          > I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
          > (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from
          the
          > linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
          > files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
          > the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer
          is
          > going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router
          then
          > back to the linkstation.
          >
          > Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
          > formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when
          accessed
          > from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
          > to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it
          could
          > do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
          > appreciated.
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James
          > Ronald"
          > <jronald@c...> wrote:
          > > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
          > think
          > > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS
          on
          > the LS or
          > > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
          > you didn't
          > > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

          Yahoo! Groups Links