Re: LinkStation ----> KUROBOX

  • schwab_one
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
      What I meant by "new Linstation" is "new out-of-the-box.

      I understand, however, from balimbabullabe's post that the Linkstation--
      ->Kurobox conversion is only possible for the PPC version (v1.0) and
      not the MEPSel version (v2.0)

      Thanks.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
      <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

      > > Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a
      KUROBOX?

      > If you mean the mips Linkstation by saying "new" there is no chance
    • Greg Holdren
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
        Yes. I dont remember if that was the procedure that I used that kept my
        files intact without reformatting. It was over a year ago on my LS160.

        It is much easier if you want to blow the disk away or if you want to put a
        new drive in it. I just upgraded my LS160 and made a LS400 out of it with
        Kuro 1.02. Now since my LS was a Kuro Box before playing with the 160GB
        drive and also installing the 400GB drive I dont know if making it a Kuro
        box is important for the steps below or if that these files below will make
        a LS into Kuro Box. You might have to follow the steps in the link you
        mentioned and now that I think more about it I think that was the link.

        This will look for the LS on the net, partition and format the drive, and
        install the files. The upgrade program with this one doesnt work. I had to
        use the one from kuro101.zip. (i'm not sure where I got it)
        http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/products/kuro-box/kuro_102.zip

        The web pages will be in Japanese so use this file to convert to English
        http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/FileSharing44.html

        Greg

        Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a KUROBOX?

        See the procedure at this link:

        http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstatio
        n+into+a
        +Kuro+Box

        Pros vs Cons?

        Thanks

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
          <schwab.thomas@m...> wrote:
          > Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a KUROBOX?
          >
          > See the procedure at this link:

          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstatio
          n+into+a
          > +Kuro+Box
          >
          > Pros vs Cons?

          I was running the kurobox kernel on my PPC LS for awhile. I run a
          Debian file system on the hard drive. I never got the USB ports to
          work in high speed (2.0) mode, only 1.x mode (12mb/sec). Other than
          that the kernel worked great. I was able to burn CD's with my USB
          CDROM, get IP filtering to work (which then enabled a DHCP server to
          work).

          I think the Kurobox kernel has telnet enabled in "EM" (mini-system in
          flash memory) mode, where as with the Linkstation you can only run the
          software updater in this mode.

          As far as the rest of the Kurobox filesystem, I don't think there is
          any great advantage to it, and you will loose the LS web Interface
          with the Kurobox.
        • Greg Holdren
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
            > As far as the rest of the Kurobox filesystem, I don't think there is
            > any great advantage to it, and you will loose the LS web Interface
            > with the Kurobox.

            How do you loose the LS web interface with the Kuro Box software. Mine has a
            web interface. It looks like it has the same options and functions as the
            stock LS web interface.

            Greg