Re: LinkStation ----> KUROBOX

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
      > Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a KUROBOX?

      If you mean the mips Linkstation by saying "new" there is no chance
    • schwab_one
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
        What I meant by "new Linstation" is "new out-of-the-box.

        I understand, however, from balimbabullabe's post that the Linkstation--
        ->Kurobox conversion is only possible for the PPC version (v1.0) and
        not the MEPSel version (v2.0)

        Thanks.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
        <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

        > > Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a
        KUROBOX?

        > If you mean the mips Linkstation by saying "new" there is no chance
      • Greg Holdren
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
          Yes. I dont remember if that was the procedure that I used that kept my
          files intact without reformatting. It was over a year ago on my LS160.

          It is much easier if you want to blow the disk away or if you want to put a
          new drive in it. I just upgraded my LS160 and made a LS400 out of it with
          Kuro 1.02. Now since my LS was a Kuro Box before playing with the 160GB
          drive and also installing the 400GB drive I dont know if making it a Kuro
          box is important for the steps below or if that these files below will make
          a LS into Kuro Box. You might have to follow the steps in the link you
          mentioned and now that I think more about it I think that was the link.

          This will look for the LS on the net, partition and format the drive, and
          install the files. The upgrade program with this one doesnt work. I had to
          use the one from kuro101.zip. (i'm not sure where I got it)
          http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/products/kuro-box/kuro_102.zip

          The web pages will be in Japanese so use this file to convert to English
          http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/FileSharing44.html

          Greg

          Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a KUROBOX?

          See the procedure at this link:

          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstatio
          n+into+a
          +Kuro+Box

          Pros vs Cons?

          Thanks

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
            <schwab.thomas@m...> wrote:
            > Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a KUROBOX?
            >
            > See the procedure at this link:

            http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstatio
            n+into+a
            > +Kuro+Box
            >
            > Pros vs Cons?

            I was running the kurobox kernel on my PPC LS for awhile. I run a
            Debian file system on the hard drive. I never got the USB ports to
            work in high speed (2.0) mode, only 1.x mode (12mb/sec). Other than
            that the kernel worked great. I was able to burn CD's with my USB
            CDROM, get IP filtering to work (which then enabled a DHCP server to
            work).

            I think the Kurobox kernel has telnet enabled in "EM" (mini-system in
            flash memory) mode, where as with the Linkstation you can only run the
            software updater in this mode.

            As far as the rest of the Kurobox filesystem, I don't think there is
            any great advantage to it, and you will loose the LS web Interface
            with the Kurobox.
          • Greg Holdren
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
              > As far as the rest of the Kurobox filesystem, I don't think there is
              > any great advantage to it, and you will loose the LS web Interface
              > with the Kurobox.

              How do you loose the LS web interface with the Kuro Box software. Mine has a
              web interface. It looks like it has the same options and functions as the
              stock LS web interface.

              Greg