Re: USB drive connected to LS and TS ?

  • lifeisfuneh
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
      I guess I didn't explain it well :)
      I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB to
      USB
      drive

      Thanks
      -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
      > Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
      > files permissions when done.

      TS ?

      > Great news - Thanks !
      > I will push it further by asking one more question ....
      > Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS
      without
      > using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
      > data from
      > USB
      > drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
      > network very
      > busy and the computer
      > that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation is
      > finished
      >
      > Thanks
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
      > fine.
      > >
      > > JR

      href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hck18go/M=362329.6886308.7839368.

      1510227/D=groups/S=1705004750:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123110920/A=2894321/R=0
      > /SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
      > > > ">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk
      > > > back!</a>.</font>

    • Air Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
        Well it sounds like you COULD get shell access to the
        LinkStation and do direct connection from telnet.
        There are apparently mods out there that will give you
        shell access to the device. Do a search in the
        archive for shell access, I know the slimdevices
        forums have some mods for the Linkstation.

        I'm waiting to see how somebody here is going to hack
        the kernel of the Terrastation before I start rolling
        SSH and telnet onto mine.

        Dave

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • johnnypirish
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
          You can use rsync. I have it in a cron job that transfers only
          changed files from my Kurobox to the USB drive every night at 3 am.

          I would think that it would be similar on your configuration.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lifeisfuneh"
          <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
          > Great news - Thanks !
          > I will push it further by asking one more question ....
          > Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS
          without
          > using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
          > data from
          > USB
          > drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
          > network very
          > busy and the computer
          > that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation
          is
          > finished
          >
          > Thanks
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
          > <jronald@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
          > fine.
          > >
          > > JR

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
            I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I think
            someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS on the LS or
            Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also, you didn't
            mention if this was a one time thing or not.

            > I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB to
            > USB
            > drive
            >
            > Thanks
            > -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            >> Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
            >> Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
            >> files permissions when done.

          • simonashley
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
              I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
              directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
              linkstation (regardless of the format).

              I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
              (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from the
              linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
              files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
              the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer is
              going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router then
              back to the linkstation.

              Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
              formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when accessed
              from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
              to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it could
              do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
              appreciated.

            • simonashley
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
                Apologies, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"

              • -/\-
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2005
                  You didn't :0)
                  Good points !

                  "simonashley" <simonashley@...> wrote in
                  message news:dct7fn+6n46@......

                  <simonashley@y...> wrote:
                  > I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
                  > directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
                  > linkstation (regardless of the format).
                  >
                  > I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
                  > (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from
                  the
                  > linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
                  > files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
                  > the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer
                  is
                  > going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router
                  then
                  > back to the linkstation.
                  >
                  > Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
                  > formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when
                  accessed
                  > from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
                  > to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it
                  could
                  > do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
                  > appreciated.
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James
                  > Ronald"
                  > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                  > > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
                  > think
                  > > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS
                  on
                  > the LS or
                  > > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
                  > you didn't
                  > > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links