Re: [LinkStation_General] USB drive connected to LS and TS ?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
      Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work fine.

      JR
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
        Great news - Thanks !
        I will push it further by asking one more question ....
        Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS without
        using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
        data from
        USB
        drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
        network very
        busy and the computer
        that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation is
        finished

        <jronald@c...> wrote:

        > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
        fine.

        > JR

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
          Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
          Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
          files permissions when done.

          <jronald@c...> wrote:

          > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
          fine.

          > JR

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • lifeisfuneh
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
            I guess I didn't explain it well :)
            I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB to
            USB
            drive

            Thanks
            -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
            > Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
            > files permissions when done.

            TS ?

            > Great news - Thanks !
            > I will push it further by asking one more question ....
            > Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS
            without
            > using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
            > data from
            > USB
            > drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
            > network very
            > busy and the computer
            > that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation is
            > finished
            >
            > Thanks
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
            > fine.
            > >
            > > JR

          • Air Dave
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
              Well it sounds like you COULD get shell access to the
              LinkStation and do direct connection from telnet.
              There are apparently mods out there that will give you
              shell access to the device. Do a search in the
              archive for shell access, I know the slimdevices
              forums have some mods for the Linkstation.

              I'm waiting to see how somebody here is going to hack
              the kernel of the Terrastation before I start rolling
              SSH and telnet onto mine.

              Dave

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • johnnypirish
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
                You can use rsync. I have it in a cron job that transfers only
                changed files from my Kurobox to the USB drive every night at 3 am.

                I would think that it would be similar on your configuration.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lifeisfuneh"
                <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                > Great news - Thanks !
                > I will push it further by asking one more question ....
                > Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS
                without
                > using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
                > data from
                > USB
                > drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
                > network very
                > busy and the computer
                > that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation
                is
                > finished
                >
                > Thanks
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
                > fine.
                > >
                > > JR

              • James Ronald
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
                  I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I think
                  someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS on the LS or
                  Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also, you didn't
                  mention if this was a one time thing or not.

                  > I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB to
                  > USB
                  > drive
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                  > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                  >> Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
                  >> Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
                  >> files permissions when done.

                • simonashley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
                    I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
                    directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
                    linkstation (regardless of the format).

                    I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
                    (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from the
                    linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
                    files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
                    the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer is
                    going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router then
                    back to the linkstation.

                    Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
                    formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when accessed
                    from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
                    to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it could
                    do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
                    appreciated.

                  • simonashley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
                      Apologies, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"

                    • -/\-
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 5, 2005
                        You didn't :0)
                        Good points !

                        "simonashley" <simonashley@...> wrote in
                        message news:dct7fn+6n46@......

                        <simonashley@y...> wrote:
                        > I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
                        > directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
                        > linkstation (regardless of the format).
                        >
                        > I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
                        > (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from
                        the
                        > linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
                        > files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
                        > the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer
                        is
                        > going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router
                        then
                        > back to the linkstation.
                        >
                        > Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
                        > formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when
                        accessed
                        > from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
                        > to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it
                        could
                        > do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
                        > appreciated.
                        >

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James
                        > Ronald"
                        > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                        > > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
                        > think
                        > > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS
                        on
                        > the LS or
                        > > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
                        > you didn't
                        > > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links