USB drive connected to LS and TS ?

  • -/\-
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
      Can I unplug USB drive connected to LS and plug it in to TS and see the
      files ?
      Or I have to transfer the files from drive to drive over network ?

      Thanks
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
        Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work fine.

        JR
        > Can I unplug USB drive connected to LS and plug it in to TS and see the
        > files ?
        > Or I have to transfer the files from drive to drive over network ?
        >
        > Thanks

        > href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hck18go/M=362329.6886308.7839368.1510227/D=groups/S=1705004750:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123110920/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
        > ">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk
        > back!</a>.</font>

      • lifeisfuneh
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
          Great news - Thanks !
          I will push it further by asking one more question ....
          Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS without
          using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
          data from
          USB
          drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
          network very
          busy and the computer
          that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation is
          finished

          <jronald@c...> wrote:

          > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
          fine.

          > JR

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
            Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
            Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
            files permissions when done.

            <jronald@c...> wrote:

            > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
            fine.

            > JR

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • lifeisfuneh
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
              I guess I didn't explain it well :)
              I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB to
              USB
              drive

              Thanks
              -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              <jronald@c...> wrote:
              > Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
              > Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
              > files permissions when done.

              TS ?

              > Great news - Thanks !
              > I will push it further by asking one more question ....
              > Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS
              without
              > using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
              > data from
              > USB
              > drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
              > network very
              > busy and the computer
              > that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation is
              > finished
              >
              > Thanks
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              > <jronald@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
              > fine.
              > >
              > > JR

            • Air Dave
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
                Well it sounds like you COULD get shell access to the
                LinkStation and do direct connection from telnet.
                There are apparently mods out there that will give you
                shell access to the device. Do a search in the
                archive for shell access, I know the slimdevices
                forums have some mods for the Linkstation.

                I'm waiting to see how somebody here is going to hack
                the kernel of the Terrastation before I start rolling
                SSH and telnet onto mine.

                Dave

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • johnnypirish
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
                  You can use rsync. I have it in a cron job that transfers only
                  changed files from my Kurobox to the USB drive every night at 3 am.

                  I would think that it would be similar on your configuration.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lifeisfuneh"
                  <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                  > Great news - Thanks !
                  > I will push it further by asking one more question ....
                  > Is there way to copy the data from USB drive to the TS or LS
                  without
                  > using the network ? ( direct by USB connection ) When I Copy the
                  > data from
                  > USB
                  > drive to the LS using My network places in winXP it keeps the
                  > network very
                  > busy and the computer
                  > that initiated this operation has to stay on until the operation
                  is
                  > finished
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                  > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Although I have not actually tried it with a TS, it should work
                  > fine.
                  > >
                  > > JR

                • James Ronald
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
                    I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I think
                    someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS on the LS or
                    Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also, you didn't
                    mention if this was a one time thing or not.

                    > I like to copy files from the USB HD to the new TS or LS NOT USB to
                    > USB
                    > drive
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                    > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                    >> Sure, boot your PC that normally runs XP with Knoppix CD/DVD.
                    >> Plug both USB drives in and copy away. You may need to fix the
                    >> files permissions when done.

                  • simonashley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
                      I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
                      directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
                      linkstation (regardless of the format).

                      I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
                      (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from the
                      linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
                      files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
                      the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer is
                      going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router then
                      back to the linkstation.

                      Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
                      formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when accessed
                      from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
                      to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it could
                      do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
                      appreciated.

                    • simonashley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 4, 2005
                        Apologies, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"

                      • -/\-
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 5, 2005
                          You didn't :0)
                          Good points !

                          "simonashley" <simonashley@...> wrote in
                          message news:dct7fn+6n46@......

                          <simonashley@y...> wrote:
                          > I agree it does seem odd that the linkstation cannot copy files
                          > directly from the attached external USB drive back to the
                          > linkstation (regardless of the format).
                          >
                          > I attached a USB drive to my linkstation, formatted it as required
                          > (ext3) then was able to backup files to the external drive from
                          the
                          > linkstation directly. However, there is no way of restoring the
                          > files in the same wasy, instead I have to use my computer to copy
                          > the files (My Network places in XP) which means the file transfer
                          is
                          > going from the USB drive to the Linkstation, then to the router
                          then
                          > back to the linkstation.
                          >
                          > Also something else I discovered... If the external USB drive is
                          > formatted to FAT32 the drive is effectively read only when
                          accessed
                          > from my PC (as documented). However the linkstation was still able
                          > to backup to the FAT32 drive directly. It would be nice if it
                          could
                          > do this with an NTFS drive. Any info on this would be greatly
                          > appreciated.
                          >

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James
                          > Ronald"
                          > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                          > > I assume the USB drive your talking about is formatted NTFS. I
                          > think
                          > > someone on this list or the kurobox list was able to mount NTFS
                          on
                          > the LS or
                          > > Kuro in read only mode. I have no experience with such. Also,
                          > you didn't
                          > > mention if this was a one time thing or not.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links