new user with questions

  • Dan Freidus
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      I just ordered a Linkstation (Fry's Outpost had a rebate bringing the
      160Gb version down to $170) and found this group while trying learng
      more as I wait for it to come in the mail. I'm not a Linux user but
      would like to be able to add a web server to the Linkstation in
      addition to the FTP server. I have access to WIndows machines at work
      but at home I'm a Mac user. I see there's lot of info here from people
      who have loaded Apache or other server software to their Linkstation.
      How much effort and knowledge would be needed for a rank beginner with
      Linux? Besides setting things up, would I be likely to encounter more
      maintenance problems? If it's pretty easy, serving up static web pages
      (or even running a SQL server) would be great, but I chose the
      Linkstation for backup and FTP because it sounds pretty easy and
      simple, so I don't want to get too involved. ANy advice?

      Dan
    • Nick Pappas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
        The first step in adding a new webserver to your LinkStation is
        gaining access to the root account. This is done, at the moment, by
        updating your LinkStation with a modified version of the firmware
        giving you a new account to the root account.

        As a Mac user, I am unclear how you can do this. There may be a Mac
        update program available, but I've never seen one. Then again, I've
        never really looked. If possible, it is easy to update and not
        difficult to add a new webserver beyond that.

        You will have, in general, 3 choices to making a new webserver. You can:

        1) Create a second instance of the current running web server
        (thttpd). This is probably the quickest and easiest method, but
        thttpd is not the most powerful of web servers. Depending on what you
        want to do, you might need something more powerful.

        2) Apache is a good choice, as you can always find help about it in
        many places. I wrote a guide to installing Apache + PHP + MySQL at
        http://www.linkstationwiki.org It isn't hard, but as a new Linux
        user it'll just take you a little bit longer to go through the steps.
        This is the most powerful choice, but the memory requirements of
        Apache + MySQL are huge. Which leads us to...

        3) Wait for me to get around to try Lighttpd and Sqlite. These were
        suggested to me from others on this list and is something I will
        probably get around to trying to install on a stock LinkStation (vs.
        one that has had a completely new OS installed) sometime this weekend.

        Since you haven't gotten the LinkStation yet... 3 is currently your best bet. :)

        The hardest part about getting a new web server installed is
        configuring it. Just screwing around with all the config files to
        make sure it is behaving in the way you want it to. This just takes
        reading and practice. ;)

        On 8/3/05, Dan Freidus <colonial.americana@...> wrote:
        > I just ordered a Linkstation (Fry's Outpost had a rebate bringing the
        > 160Gb version down to $170) and found this group while trying learng
        > more as I wait for it to come in the mail. I'm not a Linux user but
        > would like to be able to add a web server to the Linkstation in
        > addition to the FTP server. I have access to WIndows machines at work
        > but at home I'm a Mac user. I see there's lot of info here from people
        > who have loaded Apache or other server software to their Linkstation.
        > How much effort and knowledge would be needed for a rank beginner with
        > Linux? Besides setting things up, would I be likely to encounter more
        > maintenance problems? If it's pretty easy, serving up static web pages
        > (or even running a SQL server) would be great, but I chose the
        > Linkstation for backup and FTP because it sounds pretty easy and
        > simple, so I don't want to get too involved. ANy advice?
        >
        > Dan

        Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        yourself either.
        Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Freidus"
          <colonial.americana@u...> wrote:

          > How much effort and knowledge would be needed for a rank beginner
          > with Linux?

          To do things on the LinkStation that it wasn't originally designed to
          do, you will end up learning quite a bit about Linux before it is all
          done. This is not totally a bad thing as long as you are willing to
          take the time to learn.

          > Besides setting things up, would I be likely to encounter more
          > maintenance problems?

          Usually with Linux, once you finally get things working, they tend to
          stay working. Occasionally there might be a security related update
          that you would want to do to some of the software you are running such
          as MySQL, Apache, etc. Most of the "maintenance" you will likely do
          would be in your attempts to add features to the system since you know
          that you can.

          > If it's pretty easy, serving up static web pages
          > (or even running a SQL server) would be great, but I chose the
          > Linkstation for backup and FTP because it sounds pretty easy and
          > simple, so I don't want to get too involved. ANy advice?

          If you try to do too much over and above what the LinkStation was
          originally designed to do, many of us have believe it is easier to
          just ditch the original OS and install a "full featured" Linux on it
          such as Debian or Gentoo. Otherwise you will likely need to learn how
          to compile sets of software that would be compatible with the original
          LinkStation OS, which many have also done. If changing the OS appeals
          to you, a way to get started learning is to install Debian (or Gentoo)
          on an old PC you might have laying around and see how you like it. If
          you can make it do what you need, you can then transfer the
          configureation (including web pages, data files, etc) of it to the
          LinkStation once you get that Linux also installed on the LinkStation.
          Installing another Linux on the Linkstation is that hard part because
          an easy, straight foreward installation method is still in development.
        • Dan Freidus
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
            Well, it came yesterday but there's no documentation about a Mac with
            it, not even how to do regular setup. I'll see what docs are on the
            buffalotech web site and go from there. It sounds as if waiting for
            your experience with Lighttpd and Sqlite will probably be the way to
            go, assuming that there won't be any hassles associated with having
            used it, other than making sure any files on it are also saved to my
            laptop's HD. (I plan on using one partition, if that's what "shares"
            are, for HD backup and then setting up a share for friends to FTP
            files to me which I can then load to a web server. But if eventually
            the linkstation can BE the web server, great.)

            I don't mind learning Linux but being realistic I know that I don't
            want to invest too much time.

            THanks,
            Dan

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas