Terrastation software similar to LinkStation?

  • lordboots
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
      I have a terrastation, and I'm curious if it's the same as the
      LinkStation. The reason why I ask, is that you can apparently install
      Slim Devices Slim Server (mp3 streamer) onto the LinkStation:

      http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

      I would love to run the slim server on my terrastation so that I don't
      need a pc to manage my music, etc.

      Anybody out there help with one or both of my questions?

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • itimpi50
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
        I think they are largely simlar as they are both based on the PowerPC
        processor. There will be a number of differences though as the
        TeraStation has 4 drives rather than 1 and as a result ahs software
        raidsupport built in.

        I am currently in the process of trying to rebuild the firmware to give
        myself root access without having to do any hardware hacking. I have
        unpacked the disk image and the basic binary set looks the same
        although there are a number of differences at the detailed level. I
        have then made small changes, and repacked the firmware and
        successfully reflashed. It is a bit of a time-consuming process as if
        you make a mistake and mess up the firmware refresh then when you bring
        the Terastation back up it goes through its full disk check before you
        can do anything and that takes over 5 hours. You cannot therefore
        turn around attempts very fast!

        I will be posting messages when (if?) I finally get somewhere.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lordboots"
        <lordboots@y...> wrote:
        > I have a terrastation, and I'm curious if it's the same as the
        > LinkStation. The reason why I ask, is that you can apparently install
        > Slim Devices Slim Server (mp3 streamer) onto the LinkStation:
        >
        > http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html
        >
        > I would love to run the slim server on my terrastation so that I don't
        > need a pc to manage my music, etc.
        >
        > Anybody out there help with one or both of my questions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave
      • Air Dave
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
          Well, I have to tell you that I'm in your corner,
          rooting for you to accomplish it. I've talked to some
          of the regional directors for Buffalo about just
          supporting it, as the ReadyNAS from infrant supports
          it now. I've also put in feature requests through
          Buffalo support, but we all know how support
          departments work...

          If you can hack it and put it together, I would be
          stoked to do the same to my terrastation. Also, the
          ReadyNAS is now supporting USB Wi-Fi dongles, and if
          you're in there messing with the image.... :~) It
          would be pretty cool to let the squeezebox do a direct
          wireless to the terrastation for when I've got it at
          other locations.....

          Dave

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • itimpi50
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
            I am making progress. I now have a version of the Terastation
            firmware that supports Telnet and I can login as the guest user. All
            that is now outstanding is to work out how to get root access (or
            allow the guest to edit the /etc/passwd file). I will probably do
            this by hacking one of the standard scripts supplied for
            administering the TeraStation to add a new option!

            Dave

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave

          • Air Dave
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 4, 2005
              I've heard that all you have to do is make a file in
              the /www/cgi-bin3/ called hackme.cgi or whatever,
              chmod +x the file, and have your script do this:
              #!/bin/sh
              chmod 666 /etc/passwd

              that should allow you to now change root's password by
              editing the file (copy your user's encrypted string
              over root's, then the password should match).

              Anyway, I'd be interested in getting your hacked
              binary when you're done with it....

              Dave

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • itimpi50
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 5, 2005
                I now have modified firmware that gives the TeraStation both telnet
                and root access :)

                For more details look at
                http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"

              • Air Dave
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Excellent. I will check it out today and work on
                  installing SlimServer onto the Terrastation in the
                  next couple of days. I wonder how much ram the thing
                  has and if it's going to choke on 58,000 Files being
                  indexed by the server....

                  Dave

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Air Dave
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 8, 2005
                    I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with the
                    header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I never
                    have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?

                    Dave

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • itimpi50
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 9, 2005
                      Not sure. I did change the download file at one point last night so
                      that could have been the problem. I think this evening I will
                      change it to be a ZIP file which is more appropriate to Windows users
                      (which you need to be to run the Firmware updater).

                      wrote:
                      > I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with the
                      > header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I never
                      > have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >
                      > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I now have modified firmware that gives the
                      > > TeraStation both telnet
                      > > and root access :)
                      > >
                      > > For more details look at
                      > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm
                      > >
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                      > > "itimpi50"
                      > > <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                      > > > I am making progress. I now have a version of the
                      > > Terastation
                      > > > firmware that supports Telnet and I can login as
                      > > the guest user.
                      > > All
                      > > > that is now outstanding is to work out how to get
                      > > root access (or
                      > > > allow the guest to edit the /etc/passwd file). I
                      > > will probably do
                      > > > this by hacking one of the standard scripts
                      > > supplied for
                      > > > administering the TeraStation to add a new option!
                      > > >
                      > > > Dave
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air
                      > > Dave
                      > > corner,
                      > > to some
                      > > supports
                      > > through

                      > > be
                      > > Also, the
                      > > and if
                      > > It
                      > > direct
                      > > it at

                      > > both
                      > > differences

                      > > rebuild
                      > > hardware
                      > > set
                      > > the
                      > > refresh
                      > > full
                      > > You

                      > > finally get

                      > > it's the
                      > > you
                      > > the
                      > > > > > >

                      > > http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

                      > > my

                      > > page

                      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Air Dave
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 9, 2005
                        Let me know when you have that done, as I don't want
                        to waste your bandwidth if I can help it. You're
                        going to do that to version 1.12 as well? Since 1.12
                        is only from the Japanese site, is the interface in
                        English? Please advise.

                        Dave

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • itimpi50
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 9, 2005
                          Dave,

                          The full downloads are now ZIP versions.

                          Both the 1.08 and 1.12 versions are in English. It appears all
                          firmware releases are in both languages - and after the update the
                          TeraStation remembers what language you had before the update. The
                          only component that was not in English was the actual Windows
                          firmware updater program - and for that I simply took the one from
                          the 1.08 release.

                          wrote:
                          > Let me know when you have that done, as I don't want
                          > to waste your bandwidth if I can help it. You're
                          > going to do that to version 1.12 as well? Since 1.12
                          > is only from the Japanese site, is the interface in
                          > English? Please advise.
                          >
                          > Dave
                          >

                          > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Not sure. I did change the download file at one
                          > > point last night so
                          > > that could have been the problem. I think this
                          > > evening I will
                          > > change it to be a ZIP file which is more appropriate
                          > > to Windows users
                          > > (which you need to be to run the Firmware updater).
                          > >
                          > > Dave
                          > >
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                          > > <lordboots@y...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > > I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with
                          > > the
                          > > > header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I
                          > > never
                          > > > have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?
                          > > >
                          > > > Dave

                          > > the
                          > > as
                          > > get
                          > > option!

                          > > Air
                          > > talked
                          > > just

                          > > would
                          > > dongles,
                          > > :~)
                          > > do a
                          > > got

                          > > are
                          > > as

                          > > any
                          > > binary
                          > > at
                          > > the
                          > > firmware
                          > > its
                          > > hours.

                          > > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                          > > if
                          > > that
                          > > onto

                          > > my

                          > > of

                          > > home

                          > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home
                          > > page
                          > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Air Dave
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                            No dice, I get :
                            The requested URL '/download/tera_112a_full.zip'
                            resolves to a file which is marked executable but is
                            not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.

                            Lemme know when you get the chance to change it.

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • itimpi50
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                              Fixed in a moment. One trouble with working from Windows is
                              remebering that Samba is setting the 'x' bit on all files - I might
                              need to change the default mask so that it does not.

                              Always a problem as I cannot test this link from my own system - I
                              cannot get the route back to my system from the internet through my
                              firewall to work when I am already inside it!

                              <lordboots@y...> wrote:
                              > No dice, I get :
                              > The requested URL '/download/tera_112a_full.zip'
                              > resolves to a file which is marked executable but is
                              > not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.
                              >
                              > Lemme know when you get the chance to change it.

                              > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Not sure. I did change the download file at one
                              > > point last night so
                              > > that could have been the problem. I think this
                              > > evening I will
                              > > change it to be a ZIP file which is more appropriate
                              > > to Windows users
                              > > (which you need to be to run the Firmware updater).
                              > >
                              > > Dave
                              > >
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                              > > <lordboots@y...>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > > I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with
                              > > the
                              > > > header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I
                              > > never
                              > > > have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?
                              > > >
                              > > > Dave

                              > > the
                              > > as
                              > > get
                              > > option!

                              > > Air
                              > > talked
                              > > just

                              > > would
                              > > dongles,
                              > > :~)
                              > > do a
                              > > got

                              > > are
                              > > as

                              > > any
                              > > binary
                              > > at
                              > > the
                              > > firmware
                              > > its
                              > > hours.

                              > > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                              > > if
                              > > that
                              > > onto

                              > > my

                              > > of

                              > > home

                              > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home
                              > > page
                              > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Air Dave
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                                Cool, 403 error gone, downloading now. Thanks.

                                Dave

                                --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > internet through my
                                > firewall to work when I am already inside it!
                                >
                                > Dave
                                >
                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                                >
                                > <lordboots@y...> wrote:
                                > > No dice, I get :
                                > > The requested URL '/download/tera_112a_full.zip'
                                > > resolves to a file which is marked executable but
                                > is
                                > > not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.
                                > >
                                > > Lemme know when you get the chance to change it.

                                > > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Not sure. I did change the download file at
                                > one
                                > > > point last night so
                                > > > that could have been the problem. I think this
                                > > > evening I will
                                > > > change it to be a ZIP file which is more
                                > appropriate
                                > > > to Windows users
                                > > > (which you need to be to run the Firmware

                                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                              • Air Dave
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                                  Okay, so a stumbling along I go. I got into the
                                  Terrastation with the new version 1.12 (thanks Dave).
                                  It appears to have a Motorola processor (MIPS?). I
                                  found
                                  http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz.
                                  , but I think it's for the old PowerPC version of the
                                  linkstation.

                                  My ultimate goal here, of course is to put the
                                  SlimServer onto my Terrastation. I have root now, I
                                  guess the next is to see if I can update perl and put
                                  the SlimServer code on it. Anybody have the MIPS
                                  version of the new perl???

                                  Dave

                                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                • Trevor
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                                    wrote:
                                    > Okay, so a stumbling along I go. I got into the
                                    > Terrastation with the new version 1.12 (thanks Dave).
                                    > It appears to have a Motorola processor (MIPS?). I

                                    The TeraStation has a Motorola PowerPC processor.

                                    - Trevor
                                  • Air Dave
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                                      It does! So the perl at
                                      http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz.
                                      should work. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your
                                      time.

                                      Dave

                                      --- Trevor <tman_yahoo@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                                      > <lordboots@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > Okay, so a stumbling along I go. I got into the
                                      > > Terrastation with the new version 1.12 (thanks
                                      > Dave).
                                      > > It appears to have a Motorola processor (MIPS?).
                                      >
                                      > The TeraStation has a Motorola PowerPC processor.
                                      >
                                      > - Trevor

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Air Dave
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 11, 2005
                                        Have you seen any wierdness with the .12 release? I
                                        get a bunch of duplicate file names when I try to make
                                        playlists in both the slimserver software and iTunes,
                                        but not file copies.... Strange

                                        It didn't do it from day one. Any thoughts?

                                        Dave

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com