Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Great idea, have NSLU2, just ordered Linkstation 160 for $80 (after rebate)

  • Michael Oberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
      I think the decision comes down to buying NSLU2 If you already have
      an external USB2 drive and don't think you will really stress the
      server as far as RAM and CPU. Otherwise the Linkstation is a better
      purchase imho. I already own and abuse the NSLU2, and think I will
      buy a Linkstation, and enjoy having both. With the NSLU2 and a laptop
      HD, both combined are still smaller than my hand (and easily hidden in
      a desk drawer).

      Benefits of the Linkstation:
      - Print server
      - Unified chassis (may be a detractor to some)
      - Much easier to hack on regarding Linux (ie hacking not required,
      packages are available for pretty much everything). - Much closer to
      a "real" miniature server than the NSLU2, which is more an embedded
      system.
      - Might be Powerful enough to downsample ogg's in realtime through
      icecast, I am sure the NSLU2 is not. On my 30kB upstream connection,
      this would make the difference between only supporting a single stream
      of my music and having several (I keep my ogg's in 196kbit VBR).

      My 2 cents.

      - Michael

      On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:26:06 -0500, Stuart Stegall
      <stuart@...> wrote:

      > Two other issues ... namely that the NSLU2 will probably never compile out of box with a stock linux kernel and likely it will be so
      > with many major system utilities. The PPC platform is the 3rd best supported linux platforms (behind x86_64 and x86) and the
      > LinkStation is really not a very strange PPC box. I can already boot of a basic PPC kernel. I'll submit some trivial patches that
      > will probably take care of the problems that aren't supported generically right now. But all in all, I can boot off a 2.6.9-rc2
      > pretty easy at the moment.
      >

      > mphoust2 wrote:
      > > I just ordered a LinkStation 120 from newegg after wrestling with the
      > > same question.
      > >
      > > The main reason I chose it was the larger amount of RAM (64 MB vs
      > > 32MB, I think). I plan to run a Source Code Control system on it and
      > > 32MB seemed a bit small. Maybe a small webserver too...
      > >
      > > The LinkStation also appears to be a little easier to get telnet and
      > > root access on (might not be much harder on NSLU2 now). Plus the
      > > yellowdog binary RPMs covers a lot of the utils that I would need.
      > >
      > > The drawbacks are that Linksys is a much bigger name in the business
      > > than Buffalo. The NSLU2 has much bigger english-language following
      > > right now. I hope the Linkstation will catch up.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Inframan
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
        Thanks for the input.

        I have decided on the LinkStation, and am eagerly awaiting it's
        arrival. I'll probably start with a setting up CVS and an iTunes
        server, and eventually porting some audio/DSP related work to it, if
        I can get a USB microphone to work well enough.

        This little box seems just the solution I wasn't even looking for.
        Without having to run my development box/server 24/7, I may save
        enough on the electric bills to pay for it. That is what I'm telling
        the wife anyway!

        Thanks again!

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Michael Oberg

      • Stuart Stegall
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
          I tried something like this once with my wife. My servers used .8kWHrs ... and
          at .004USD/kWHr - They really don't cost me all that much.

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
            Stuart,

            Wow, that's cheap power .004USD/KWH. I think most of us in the US are
            paying something like 0.10USD/KWH.
            My current server is drawing about 200 Watts 24 hours a day 365 day per
            year. Which is 4.8 KWH/Day (200 * 24 / 1000 = 0.48) or $0.48/Day,
            $14.40/month or $175.20/year. The linkstation should be < 40 watts
            therefore using 80% less power saving me $140.16 per year.

            JR
            > I tried something like this once with my wife. My servers used .8kWHrs
            ... and
            > at .004USD/kWHr - They really don't cost me all that much.
            >
            > Inframan wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks for the input.
            > >
            > > I have decided on the LinkStation, and am eagerly awaiting it's
            > > arrival. I'll probably start with a setting up CVS and an iTunes
            > > server, and eventually porting some audio/DSP related work to it, if
            > > I can get a USB microphone to work well enough.
            > >
            > > This little box seems just the solution I wasn't even looking for.
            > > Without having to run my development box/server 24/7, I may save
            > > enough on the electric bills to pay for it. That is what I'm telling
            > > the wife anyway!
            > >
            > > Thanks again!
            > >

            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Michael Oberg
            > > <michael.oberg@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > >>I think the decision comes down to buying NSLU2 If you already have
            > >>an external USB2 drive and don't think you will really stress the
            > >>server as far as RAM and CPU. Otherwise the Linkstation is a better
            > >>purchase imho. I already own and abuse the NSLU2, and think I will
            > >>buy a Linkstation, and enjoy having both. With the NSLU2 and a
            > >
            > > laptop
            > >
            > >>HD, both combined are still smaller than my hand (and easily hidden
            > >
            > > in
            > >
            > >>a desk drawer).
            > >>
            > >>Benefits of the Linkstation:
            > >> - Print server
            > >> - Unified chassis (may be a detractor to some)
            > >> - Much easier to hack on regarding Linux (ie hacking not required,
            > >>packages are available for pretty much everything). - Much closer

            > >>a "real" miniature server than the NSLU2, which is more an embedded
            > >>system.
            > >> - Might be Powerful enough to downsample ogg's in realtime through
            > >>icecast, I am sure the NSLU2 is not. On my 30kB upstream
            > >
            > > connection,
            > >
            > >>this would make the difference between only supporting a single
            > >
            > > stream
            > >
            > >>of my music and having several (I keep my ogg's in 196kbit VBR).
            > >>
            > >>My 2 cents.
            > >>
            > >> - Michael

            > > compile out of box with a stock linux kernel and likely it will be so

            > > best supported linux platforms (behind x86_64 and x86) and the

            > > boot of a basic PPC kernel. I'll submit some trivial patches that

            > > generically right now. But all in all, I can boot off a 2.6.9-rc2

            > > with the

            > > vs

            > > it and

            > > telnet and

            > > the

            > > need.

            > > business

            > > following

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Oberg
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
              I think I saw somewhere (datasheet? Specs posted to this mailing
              list?) that the Linkstation is 17W. I know that the observed NSLU2
              power consumption (from the nslu2 mailing list) was about 4W (without
              including the HD).

              Less than $1 a month for the nslu2 (since my HD autospins down after 5
              minutes idle - Maxtor OneTouch).

              - Michael

            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                Michael,

                You are correct it seems the Linkstation datasheet says 17W max. I thought
                it was 17 watts when idle and something like 37 watt when being accessed. So
                guess it's more like 90% less power costing me only about $1.25/month to
                run.
                (17 * 24 * 30 / 1000 = 12.25 KWH/Month or @ $0.10/KWH $1.23 month.

                Of course these saving assume that I shut down my old server. ;-)

                JR