Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: WIKI: Install Apache w/ PHP and MySQL

  • Nick Pappas
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
      Not saying that MySQL isn't going to work, it is just going to consume
      a crap load or memory while it works. :) Compared to MySQL, Apache is
      a lightweight of memory usage.

      On 8/1/05, johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...> wrote:
      > I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
      > it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
      > the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
      > faster when displaying static pages.
      >
      > JP
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
      > <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
      > > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing, but thought I
      > > would share probably the most important one here.
      > >
      > > After getting everything up and running I checked the memory usage on
      > > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the available
      > LinkStation
      > > memory when running. This isn't particularly good.
      > >
      > > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to work around that.
      > > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL for (a simple photo
      > > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database backend to a file
      > > system backend.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      > > yourself either.
      > > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

      Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      yourself either.
      Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
    • Art Age
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
        Check out sqlite. Perfect fit for the LinkStation. I'm
        using it as the backend database for two websites on
        my Linky as a substitute for mysql.

        If you also substitute lighttp for apache, you have a
        very light-weight platform for web apps that is
        perfectly suited to the LinkStation.

        Sam

        --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:

        > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing,
        > but thought I
        > would share probably the most important one here.
        >
        > After getting everything up and running I checked
        > the memory usage on
        > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the
        > available LinkStation
        > memory when running. This isn't particularly good.
        >
        > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to
        > work around that.
        > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL
        > for (a simple photo
        > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database
        > backend to a file
        > system backend.
        >
        > --
        > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too
        > much, or berate
        > yourself either.
        > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody
        > else's.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Nick Pappas
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
          I will look into both Lighttp and Sqlite this evening and update the
          WIKI as needed.

          Art, are you running on the LS1 or the LS2? If there are any special
          configuration settings you used at compile time, please pass them
          along.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
            I run gentoo on an LS1.

            --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:

            > I will look into both Lighttp and Sqlite this
            > evening and update the
            > WIKI as needed.
            >
            > Art, are you running on the LS1 or the LS2? If
            > there are any special
            > configuration settings you used at compile time,
            > please pass them
            > along.
            >
            > On 8/1/05, Art Age <artagesw@...> wrote:
            > > Check out sqlite. Perfect fit for the LinkStation.
            > I'm
            > > using it as the backend database for two websites
            > on
            > > my Linky as a substitute for mysql.
            > >
            > > If you also substitute lighttp for apache, you
            > have a
            > > very light-weight platform for web apps that is
            > > perfectly suited to the LinkStation.
            > >
            > > Sam
            > >
            > > --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI
            > listing,
            > > > but thought I
            > > > would share probably the most important one
            > here.
            > > >
            > > > After getting everything up and running I
            > checked
            > > > the memory usage on
            > > > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the
            > > > available LinkStation
            > > > memory when running. This isn't particularly
            > good.
            > > >
            > > > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to
            > > > work around that.
            > > > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed
            > MySQL
            > > > for (a simple photo
            > > > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database
            > > > backend to a file
            > > > system backend.
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself
            > too
            > > > much, or berate
            > > > yourself either.
            > > > Your choices are half chance, and so are
            > everybody
            > > > else's.

            > protection around
            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too
            > much, or berate
            > yourself either.
            > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody
            > else's.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
              I run lighttpd/PHP too but I use sqlite (2.8) - it has a very small
              memory footprint and is only loaded when needed. I run torrentflux (a
              web based torrent client) so need all the memory available for the
              hungry python processes.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnypirish"
              <irishjohnnyp-boards@y...> wrote:
              > I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
              > it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
              > the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
              > faster when displaying static pages.
              >
              > JP

            • han320yah
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
                Did anyone manage to have a look at the FPE packages on the website
                I posted? Just wondering which pacakge would be best to try if I
                wanted to install them on the LS. As they are Operating System
                based, I am unsure of which one to try first??

                Thanks.