Re: WIKI: Install Apache w/ PHP and MySQL

  • han320yah
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
      I would be willing to give this a go but which of the FPEs would you
      use? They are listed on the website below with reference to
      operating system. Any suggestions which package would be most
      suitable?

      Thanks.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
      <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
      > There is no reason why FPE shouldn't work, aside from perhaps a
      > missing library or an incompatability with an existing one. You
      > should be able to try it out -- just try and compile it like any of
      > the other packages explained in the WIKI (use the same prefix model
      > and read the INSTALL file for any special needs). As long as it
      will
      > compile, it should work.
      >
      > On 7/31/05, han320yah <b747@o...> wrote:
      > > I'm a newbie to Linux but am very interested in getting Apache
      running
      > > on my LS II. I currently host my website using Thttpd on the LS
      which
      > > works well but want to increase functionality. I would also be
      > > interested to install Frontpage Server Extensions along with
      Apache.
      > > Is this possible? The following website has the extensions
      package
      > > but none seem suitable for the LS:
      > >
      > > http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2002sr1_download.htm
      > >
      > > Does anyone think it's possible to add these extensions on the
      LS? I
      > > know many people would not use Frontpage at all and understand
      the
      > > reasons why. Just interested to know whether it's possible.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
      > > <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
      > > > I've added a new article about installing Apache w/ PHP and
      MySQL
      > > > available. For those familiar with the packages you should be
      able
      > > > fly right through it with what is supplied -- there are only a
      few
      > > > configure attribute that had to be found.
      > > >
      > > > If you are new to configuring these sorts of things, you may
      need to
      > > > wait a day or two. The version up is not as detailed as I
      would
      > > like,
      > > > but it is very late here... and I am tired.
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or
      berate
      > > > yourself either.
      > > > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      > yourself either.
      > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
    • Nick Pappas
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
        I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing, but thought I
        would share probably the most important one here.

        After getting everything up and running I checked the memory usage on
        my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the available LinkStation
        memory when running. This isn't particularly good.

        If you need the database, I guess you'll need to work around that.
        Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL for (a simple photo
        gallery script I wrote) and porting the database backend to a file
        system backend.

        --
        Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        yourself either.
        Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
      • johnnypirish
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
          I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
          it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
          the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
          faster when displaying static pages.

          JP

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
            Not saying that MySQL isn't going to work, it is just going to consume
            a crap load or memory while it works. :) Compared to MySQL, Apache is
            a lightweight of memory usage.

            On 8/1/05, johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...> wrote:
            > I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
            > it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
            > the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
            > faster when displaying static pages.
            >
            > JP
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
            > <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
            > > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing, but thought I
            > > would share probably the most important one here.
            > >
            > > After getting everything up and running I checked the memory usage on
            > > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the available
            > LinkStation
            > > memory when running. This isn't particularly good.
            > >
            > > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to work around that.
            > > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL for (a simple photo
            > > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database backend to a file
            > > system backend.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
            > > yourself either.
            > > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

            Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
            yourself either.
            Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
          • Art Age
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
              Check out sqlite. Perfect fit for the LinkStation. I'm
              using it as the backend database for two websites on
              my Linky as a substitute for mysql.

              If you also substitute lighttp for apache, you have a
              very light-weight platform for web apps that is
              perfectly suited to the LinkStation.

              Sam

              --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:

              > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing,
              > but thought I
              > would share probably the most important one here.
              >
              > After getting everything up and running I checked
              > the memory usage on
              > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the
              > available LinkStation
              > memory when running. This isn't particularly good.
              >
              > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to
              > work around that.
              > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL
              > for (a simple photo
              > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database
              > backend to a file
              > system backend.
              >
              > --
              > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too
              > much, or berate
              > yourself either.
              > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody
              > else's.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Nick Pappas
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                I will look into both Lighttp and Sqlite this evening and update the
                WIKI as needed.

                Art, are you running on the LS1 or the LS2? If there are any special
                configuration settings you used at compile time, please pass them
                along.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                  I run gentoo on an LS1.

                  --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:

                  > I will look into both Lighttp and Sqlite this
                  > evening and update the
                  > WIKI as needed.
                  >
                  > Art, are you running on the LS1 or the LS2? If
                  > there are any special
                  > configuration settings you used at compile time,
                  > please pass them
                  > along.
                  >
                  > On 8/1/05, Art Age <artagesw@...> wrote:
                  > > Check out sqlite. Perfect fit for the LinkStation.
                  > I'm
                  > > using it as the backend database for two websites
                  > on
                  > > my Linky as a substitute for mysql.
                  > >
                  > > If you also substitute lighttp for apache, you
                  > have a
                  > > very light-weight platform for web apps that is
                  > > perfectly suited to the LinkStation.
                  > >
                  > > Sam
                  > >
                  > > --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI
                  > listing,
                  > > > but thought I
                  > > > would share probably the most important one
                  > here.
                  > > >
                  > > > After getting everything up and running I
                  > checked
                  > > > the memory usage on
                  > > > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the
                  > > > available LinkStation
                  > > > memory when running. This isn't particularly
                  > good.
                  > > >
                  > > > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to
                  > > > work around that.
                  > > > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed
                  > MySQL
                  > > > for (a simple photo
                  > > > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database
                  > > > backend to a file
                  > > > system backend.
                  > > >
                  > > > --
                  > > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself
                  > too
                  > > > much, or berate
                  > > > yourself either.
                  > > > Your choices are half chance, and so are
                  > everybody
                  > > > else's.

                  > protection around
                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too
                  > much, or berate
                  > yourself either.
                  > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody
                  > else's.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • prb0x
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
                    I run lighttpd/PHP too but I use sqlite (2.8) - it has a very small
                    memory footprint and is only loaded when needed. I run torrentflux (a
                    web based torrent client) so need all the memory available for the
                    hungry python processes.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnypirish"
                    <irishjohnnyp-boards@y...> wrote:
                    > I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
                    > it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
                    > the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
                    > faster when displaying static pages.
                    >
                    > JP

                  • han320yah
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Did anyone manage to have a look at the FPE packages on the website
                      I posted? Just wondering which pacakge would be best to try if I
                      wanted to install them on the LS. As they are Operating System
                      based, I am unsure of which one to try first??

                      Thanks.