WIKI: Install Apache w/ PHP and MySQL

  • Nick Pappas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
      I've added a new article about installing Apache w/ PHP and MySQL
      available. For those familiar with the packages you should be able to
      fly right through it with what is supplied -- there are only a few
      configure attribute that had to be found.

      If you are new to configuring these sorts of things, you may need to
      wait a day or two. The version up is not as detailed as I would like,
      but it is very late here... and I am tired.

      --
      Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      yourself either.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
        I'm a newbie to Linux but am very interested in getting Apache running
        on my LS II. I currently host my website using Thttpd on the LS which
        works well but want to increase functionality. I would also be
        interested to install Frontpage Server Extensions along with Apache.
        Is this possible? The following website has the extensions package
        but none seem suitable for the LS:

        http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2002sr1_download.htm

        Does anyone think it's possible to add these extensions on the LS? I
        know many people would not use Frontpage at all and understand the
        reasons why. Just interested to know whether it's possible.

        Thanks.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
          There is no reason why FPE shouldn't work, aside from perhaps a
          missing library or an incompatability with an existing one. You
          should be able to try it out -- just try and compile it like any of
          the other packages explained in the WIKI (use the same prefix model
          and read the INSTALL file for any special needs). As long as it will
          compile, it should work.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
            I would be willing to give this a go but which of the FPEs would you
            use? They are listed on the website below with reference to
            operating system. Any suggestions which package would be most
            suitable?

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
              I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing, but thought I
              would share probably the most important one here.

              After getting everything up and running I checked the memory usage on
              my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the available LinkStation
              memory when running. This isn't particularly good.

              If you need the database, I guess you'll need to work around that.
              Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL for (a simple photo
              gallery script I wrote) and porting the database backend to a file
              system backend.

              --
              Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
              yourself either.
              Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
            • johnnypirish
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
                it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
                the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
                faster when displaying static pages.

                JP

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Not saying that MySQL isn't going to work, it is just going to consume
                  a crap load or memory while it works. :) Compared to MySQL, Apache is
                  a lightweight of memory usage.

                  On 8/1/05, johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...> wrote:
                  > I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
                  > it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
                  > the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
                  > faster when displaying static pages.
                  >
                  > JP
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
                  > <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
                  > > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing, but thought I
                  > > would share probably the most important one here.
                  > >
                  > > After getting everything up and running I checked the memory usage on
                  > > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the available
                  > LinkStation
                  > > memory when running. This isn't particularly good.
                  > >
                  > > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to work around that.
                  > > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL for (a simple photo
                  > > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database backend to a file
                  > > system backend.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
                  > > yourself either.
                  > > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

                  Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
                  yourself either.
                  Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
                • Art Age
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Check out sqlite. Perfect fit for the LinkStation. I'm
                    using it as the backend database for two websites on
                    my Linky as a substitute for mysql.

                    If you also substitute lighttp for apache, you have a
                    very light-weight platform for web apps that is
                    perfectly suited to the LinkStation.

                    Sam

                    --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:

                    > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI listing,
                    > but thought I
                    > would share probably the most important one here.
                    >
                    > After getting everything up and running I checked
                    > the memory usage on
                    > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the
                    > available LinkStation
                    > memory when running. This isn't particularly good.
                    >
                    > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to
                    > work around that.
                    > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed MySQL
                    > for (a simple photo
                    > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database
                    > backend to a file
                    > system backend.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too
                    > much, or berate
                    > yourself either.
                    > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody
                    > else's.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Nick Pappas
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                      I will look into both Lighttp and Sqlite this evening and update the
                      WIKI as needed.

                      Art, are you running on the LS1 or the LS2? If there are any special
                      configuration settings you used at compile time, please pass them
                      along.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
                        I run gentoo on an LS1.

                        --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:

                        > I will look into both Lighttp and Sqlite this
                        > evening and update the
                        > WIKI as needed.
                        >
                        > Art, are you running on the LS1 or the LS2? If
                        > there are any special
                        > configuration settings you used at compile time,
                        > please pass them
                        > along.
                        >
                        > On 8/1/05, Art Age <artagesw@...> wrote:
                        > > Check out sqlite. Perfect fit for the LinkStation.
                        > I'm
                        > > using it as the backend database for two websites
                        > on
                        > > my Linky as a substitute for mysql.
                        > >
                        > > If you also substitute lighttp for apache, you
                        > have a
                        > > very light-weight platform for web apps that is
                        > > perfectly suited to the LinkStation.
                        > >
                        > > Sam
                        > >
                        > > --- Nick Pappas <nwpappas@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I've made a few minor updates to the WIKI
                        > listing,
                        > > > but thought I
                        > > > would share probably the most important one
                        > here.
                        > > >
                        > > > After getting everything up and running I
                        > checked
                        > > > the memory usage on
                        > > > my LinkStation. MySQL takes *nearly 25%* of the
                        > > > available LinkStation
                        > > > memory when running. This isn't particularly
                        > good.
                        > > >
                        > > > If you need the database, I guess you'll need to
                        > > > work around that.
                        > > > Personally, I'm taking the web app I needed
                        > MySQL
                        > > > for (a simple photo
                        > > > gallery script I wrote) and porting the database
                        > > > backend to a file
                        > > > system backend.
                        > > >
                        > > > --
                        > > > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself
                        > too
                        > > > much, or berate
                        > > > yourself either.
                        > > > Your choices are half chance, and so are
                        > everybody
                        > > > else's.

                        > protection around
                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too
                        > much, or berate
                        > yourself either.
                        > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody
                        > else's.

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • prb0x
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
                          I run lighttpd/PHP too but I use sqlite (2.8) - it has a very small
                          memory footprint and is only loaded when needed. I run torrentflux (a
                          web based torrent client) so need all the memory available for the
                          hungry python processes.

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnypirish"
                          <irishjohnnyp-boards@y...> wrote:
                          > I am running Tikiwiki with Lighttpd/PHP (using fastcgi) and MySQL and
                          > it runs pretty well. Have you thought about changing out Apache as
                          > the memory usage on Lighttpd is much less and it runs significantly
                          > faster when displaying static pages.
                          >
                          > JP

                        • han320yah
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
                            Did anyone manage to have a look at the FPE packages on the website
                            I posted? Just wondering which pacakge would be best to try if I
                            wanted to install them on the LS. As they are Operating System
                            based, I am unsure of which one to try first??

                            Thanks.