defunct processes in debian on ls1

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2005
      Hi all,

      Posted this on the wiki forums, but in case anyone's cruising this who
      may have some ideas/possible solutions.

      I keep getting defunct/zombie processes building up when using cacti
      (graphing program for snmp and weather data or anything else) which
      calls mysql and imapproxy (for use with mail server).
      Having searched a lot it seems a v.rare condition but it seems these
      packages make regular calls to mysql and imapproxy which don't get
      removed by the kernel reaper. clamav does it a little too.

      Wher I'm getting my guesses from:
      http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/01/msg00412.html

      This would appear to be an issue (v.rarely again) on debian 2.4.18
      special kernels (so maybe this one too) or libc6 on ppc. Its maybe
      because I've updated something a while ago I shouldn't have.
      More annoying than critical - have to run a cron job to kill/restart
      offending mysql every few hours.

      thanks