FreeLink 0.1 released: Debian via firmware updater

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
      I am releasing an alpha build of FreeLink, the Debian via firmware
      updater package. Although I was successful in installing it on my
      LinkStation I cannot guarantee your success. Please note this is a
      complete rebuild of Debian for the LinkStation (this is NOT the
      Japanese distribution) so there probably are some bugs that will need
      to be worked out. It is a barebones Debian system which unpacks to
      approximately 118MB. Also be aware that I'm packaging it with the
      Japanese 1.51 firmware which has an updated kernel. See:
      http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=49
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
        >I am releasing an alpha build of FreeLink, the Debian via firmware
        > updater package. Although I was successful in installing it on my
        > LinkStation I cannot guarantee your success. Please note this is a
        > complete rebuild of Debian for the LinkStation (this is NOT the
        > Japanese distribution) so there probably are some bugs that will need
        > to be worked out. It is a barebones Debian system which unpacks to
        > approximately 118MB. Also be aware that I'm packaging it with the
        > Japanese 1.51 firmware which has an updated kernel. See:
        > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=49

        Cool, I'll see if I can find time tonight to give it a try. You mention an
        updated kernel would this be the 2.4.20 kernel? Will the firmware updater
        attempt to update the kernel automatically?

        Also, I seem to have forgot my ID and password for the forums.

        JR
      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
          No, it's 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #997. The ramdisk.image is also
          different than the 1.47 version but I haven't taken the time to find
          out how it's different. Yes, the firmware updater will update the
          kernel/ramdisk.

          Does the mail password function work on the forums? If it doesn't let
          me know and I'll reset your password.

          > Cool, I'll see if I can find time tonight to give it a try. You
          mention an
          > updated kernel would this be the 2.4.20 kernel? Will the firmware
          updater
          > attempt to update the kernel automatically?
          >
          > Also, I seem to have forgot my ID and password for the forums.
          >
          > JR
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
              > No, it's 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #997. The ramdisk.image is also
              > different than the 1.47 version but I haven't taken the time to find
              > out how it's different. Yes, the firmware updater will update the
              > kernel/ramdisk.
              >
              > Does the mail password function work on the forums? If it doesn't let
              > me know and I'll reset your password.
              >
              >> Cool, I'll see if I can find time tonight to give it a try. You
              > mention an
              >> updated kernel would this be the 2.4.20 kernel? Will the firmware
              > updater
              >> attempt to update the kernel automatically?
              >>
              >> Also, I seem to have forgot my ID and password for the forums.
              >>
              >> JR

              I tried it and it failed for me. "Attempt to renew firmware has failed"
              message following the "Settings are being restore" step. I tried it several
              times with same result. Then I some how it got into EM-Linkstation mode and
              then the firmware version of the updated started saying ------ and then
              after rebooting it said 1.06 (Very strange). I was unable to go back to
              "1.47 Full" by removing the drive an deleting the partitions.

              The kernel was updated as I know have "Linux (none) 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint
              #997 2005" installed. Why the upgrade? I'll I noticed is that I now get
              two CR/LFs after each command.

              I'll try it again tomorrow. If I get a chance.

              BTW: the forums seem to have no way to obtain your password should you
              forget it. It would also be cool if it showed you when/if your logged on.
            • wedgemusic
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
                Another person ran into the same problem but Debian still installed
                (and worked). I wonder if it's something as simple as making sure the
                conf files/directories being stored during the firmware update exist
                in the filesystem. I'll make that change to the release tonight if you
                want to give it another try tomorrow.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
                  I was playing with the firmware updater and I noticed you can access
                  the linkstation after the firmware updater has failed and displays
                  firmware 1.06. I'm still working on why...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 2005
                    I put together an updated release which fixes a lot of problems.
                    Please try the new release (make sure to read the README).
                  • James Ronald
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 26, 2005
                      >I put together an updated release which fixes a lot of problems.
                      > Please try the new release (make sure to read the README).

                      Congratulations!! It installed with the updated image.dat perfectly!!! First
                      try!!!
                      I saw no readme file in the update directory. Also I'm still getting 2
                      CR/LFs each time I hit enter at the command prompt. I suspect it is because
                      of the new kernel. Was there a good reason to update the Kernel?

                      JR
                    • balimbabullabe
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 26, 2005
                        > CR/LFs each time I hit enter at the command prompt. I suspect it is
                        because
                        > of the new kernel. Was there a good reason to update the Kernel?

                        I had the same effects on my LS2 and it was only a matter of telnet
                        client settings and the TERM variable.
                        Is TERM set ? (echo $TERM). Mine is set to linux (export TERM=linux)
                        My putty is set to send terminal new line instead of ^M in the
                        settings/connection/telnet/