RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: simple http server

  • Stephen Jungels
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2005
      Sjoerd-

      Put quote marks around the second expression beginning with -e. In fact, to
      be safe, put quote marks around all those expressions, ie type

      sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share\/www" -e
      "s/port=80/port=81" /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf

      In this case the quote marks are necessary. The article at the wiki has the
      quotes, but perhaps it has changed since you looked at it.

      Also where it says this in the wiki:
      I can't remember for sure, but I think if you have a Linkstation I
      you need to change /mnt/hda/share to /mnt/share wherever it occurs.
      Check to see which directory exists on your linkstation.

      I was referring to the commands the article tells you to type. So this
      would involve changing

      -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share\/www"

      -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/share\/www"

      in the sed command above

      Also the command

      mkdir -p /mnt/hda/share/www

      would change to

      mkdir -p /mnt/share/www

      Is this the directory that appears on your Linksation I? I don't have one
      anymore to check.

      Once you have rerun the sed command to create a config file for htttpd2, it
      should start up on port 81 without any problems. Then point your browser to

      http://linkstation:81

      where linkstation is the name or ip of your linkstation. Assuming you have
      some content in /mnt/share/www, voila!

      Keep in mind that you have to set the file permissions correctly for thttpd
      to serve your files. There are some posts in the newsgroup explaining how
      to use "chmod 644" to do this, try searching for that phrase and thttpd if
      you need help.

      --Stephen