simple http server

  • sjoerdkoers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2005
      It is possible to make my MIPS based Linkstation in less than an hour
      a functional HTTP / FTP server ?

      All the other standard functions can be deleted / disabled..

      I have no knowledge about Linux or whatsoever.. But if there is a
      package which is (almost) selfinstalling.. that would be perfect for
      my needs !

      The standard FTP server is already functioning ofcourse, but there is
      no HTTP server in the factory-package. (?) Or is it maybe easy to add ?

      thanks in advance!
      Sjoerd, netherlands.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2005
        http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralThttpd

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjoerdkoers"
        <sjoerdkoers@h...> wrote:
        > It is possible to make my MIPS based Linkstation in less than an hour
        > a functional HTTP / FTP server ?
        >
        > All the other standard functions can be deleted / disabled..
        >
        > I have no knowledge about Linux or whatsoever.. But if there is a
        > package which is (almost) selfinstalling.. that would be perfect for
        > my needs !
        >
        > The standard FTP server is already functioning ofcourse, but there is
        > no HTTP server in the factory-package. (?) Or is it maybe easy to add ?
        >
        > thanks in advance!
        > Sjoerd, netherlands.
      • Nick Pappas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2005
          As wedgemusic points out, it is possible to get a basic http server up
          and running very quickly. It may, however, take more then an hour for
          someone who has no Linux experience as you will be digging around in
          the file system and having to modify several files in order to get
          things working the way you want/need.

          There is no one-click script that will do it all for you. You'll have
          to get your hands dirty. :)

          Before starting the guide wedgemusic points to, you will need to
          download this file:
          http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/mipsel-openlink-051b.zip

          Follow the instructions inside to update the firmware on your
          Linkstation (the firmware update program is included in the archive).
          Once you have it installed you will be able to telnet into your
          Linkstation and execute the commands in the GeneralThttpd guide.

          A few of us are working on getting Apache (a much more powerful web
          server) up and running on the Linkstation. If you find that this
          method does not work for you, there are efforts out there to get
          something stronger up and running. I've installed Apache on my
          Linkstation (it is not at all hard, even if you have no Linux
          experience), but am trying to tweak it some.

          --
          Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
          yourself either.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2005
            Thanks for your great information ! I got to work right away.

            I did everything as the Readme (firmware 2.06) told me to do. And I
            followed the Thttpd information:
            (http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralThttpd)
            but I got an error copy/pasting this line (here is the error:)

            bash-2.05a# sed -e s/thttpd/thttpd2/g -e
            s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share/www -
            e s/port=80/port=81/ /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
            sed: -e expression #2, char 12: Unknown option to 's'

            All the other lines which I had to enter, did ok. But I cannot surf
            to: 192.168.1.160 (the static IP) :80 of :81
            I presume one of these should connect to the started HTTP server ?
            Instead I enter the factory HTTP server (The buffalo settings)..

            Thanks in advance !!
            Sjoerd

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2005
              And for I forget.. I think I have to edit a config file. I cannot see
              any data of config files while connecting to the Linkstation
              webbased. I probably have to edit files with Telnet ?

              In the ThttpD section on linkstationwiki.org it says:

              I can't remember for sure, but I think if you have a Linkstation I
              you need to change /mnt/hda/share to /mnt/share wherever it occurs.
              Check to see which directory exists on your linkstation.

              How to I do that ?
              thanks a lot !!

              Sjoerd

            • Stephen Jungels
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2005
                Sjoerd-

                Put quote marks around the second expression beginning with -e. In fact, to
                be safe, put quote marks around all those expressions, ie type

                sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share\/www" -e
                "s/port=80/port=81" /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf

                In this case the quote marks are necessary. The article at the wiki has the
                quotes, but perhaps it has changed since you looked at it.

                Also where it says this in the wiki:
                I can't remember for sure, but I think if you have a Linkstation I
                you need to change /mnt/hda/share to /mnt/share wherever it occurs.
                Check to see which directory exists on your linkstation.

                I was referring to the commands the article tells you to type. So this
                would involve changing

                -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share\/www"

                -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/share\/www"

                in the sed command above

                Also the command

                mkdir -p /mnt/hda/share/www

                would change to

                mkdir -p /mnt/share/www

                Is this the directory that appears on your Linksation I? I don't have one
                anymore to check.

                Once you have rerun the sed command to create a config file for htttpd2, it
                should start up on port 81 without any problems. Then point your browser to

                http://linkstation:81

                where linkstation is the name or ip of your linkstation. Assuming you have
                some content in /mnt/share/www, voila!

                Keep in mind that you have to set the file permissions correctly for thttpd
                to serve your files. There are some posts in the newsgroup explaining how
                to use "chmod 644" to do this, try searching for that phrase and thttpd if
                you need help.

                --Stephen

                Thanks for your great information ! I got to work right away.

                I did everything as the Readme (firmware 2.06) told me to do. And I
                followed the Thttpd information:
                (http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralThttpd)
                but I got an error copy/pasting this line (here is the error:)

                bash-2.05a# sed -e s/thttpd/thttpd2/g -e
                s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share/www -
                e s/port=80/port=81/ /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
                sed: -e expression #2, char 12: Unknown option to 's'

                All the other lines which I had to enter, did ok. But I cannot surf
                to: 192.168.1.160 (the static IP) :80 of :81
                I presume one of these should connect to the started HTTP server ?
                Instead I enter the factory HTTP server (The buffalo settings)..

                Thanks in advance !!
                Sjoerd

                > As wedgemusic points out, it is possible to get a basic http server
                up
                > and running very quickly. It may, however, take more then an hour
                for
                > someone who has no Linux experience as you will be digging around in
                > the file system and having to modify several files in order to get
                > things working the way you want/need.
                >
                > There is no one-click script that will do it all for you. You'll
                have
                > to get your hands dirty. :)
                >
                > Before starting the guide wedgemusic points to, you will need to
                > download this file:
                > http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/mipsel-openlink-
                051b.zip

                > Follow the instructions inside to update the firmware on your
                > Linkstation (the firmware update program is included in the
                archive).
                > Once you have it installed you will be able to telnet into your
                > Linkstation and execute the commands in the GeneralThttpd guide.
                >
                > A few of us are working on getting Apache (a much more powerful web
                > server) up and running on the Linkstation. If you find that this
                > method does not work for you, there are efforts out there to get
                > something stronger up and running. I've installed Apache on my
                > Linkstation (it is not at all hard, even if you have no Linux
                > experience), but am trying to tweak it some.
                >
                > --
                > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
                > yourself either.
                > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "LinkStation_General" on the web.