LS1 / SlimServer Issues

  • morituri64
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
      Hello,

      Hope someone here can help, I only have 2 days to sort this problem
      out before I lose the option of returning the Squeezebox.

      I have a LS1 running PPC Openlink 0.51b, SlimServer 6.1b2 installed, a
      Belkin Pre-N wireless AP and a Squeezebox2 running v14 of the firmware.

      Now just to start I am not a Linux expert but I can find my way round
      an O/S.

      For some reason the Squeezebox2 keeps losing contact with the
      SlimServer, the audio stutters and the internet radio is intermittant,
      Now I don't know why this is, I am sure it is not the wireless AP as I
      have a PC connected 2 floors down that has no connection problems and
      the squeezebox is less that 3 meters away from the AP.

      I am wondering if there are any extra processes loaded with PPC
      Openlink 0.51b that are not really needed for running the LS1 and the
      SlimServer install? Is there anything running I can get rid of.

      Or are there any aother issues / things I can do to solve this. I
      really want this to work but if it is not going to then I'm going to
      send it back

      I'm going to post this on other forums as well so if you see it again
      apologies but I am on a tight time scale.

      Hope someone out there can help.

      JonM
    • Marc D. Field
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
        In article news:dblpop+pcd6@..., "morituri64" <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@...> wrote:

        >I am wondering if there are any extra processes loaded with PPC
        >Openlink 0.51b that are not really needed for running the LS1 and the
        >SlimServer install? Is there anything running I can get rid of.

        Hi Jon,

        I'm not familiar with OpenLink, but you can run the "top" command (hit "q" when you're done) and see what processes are eating memory and cpu time on your LinkStation.

        Marc
      • morituri64
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
          Hello Marc,

          PPC Openlink 0.51b is a hacked version of 1.47 from
          linkstationwiki.org. I have Top'ed the LS1 but nothing is caining it.

          I don't know what else it could be.

          Jon

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc D. Field <yahoo@f...>
          <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@p...> wrote:

          > >I am wondering if there are any extra processes loaded with PPC
          > >Openlink 0.51b that are not really needed for running the LS1 and the
          > >SlimServer install? Is there anything running I can get rid of.
          >
          > Hi Jon,
          >
          > I'm not familiar with OpenLink, but you can run the "top" command
          (hit "q" when you're done) and see what processes are eating memory
          and cpu time on your LinkStation.

          > Marc
        • Peter Müller
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
            Hi Jon,

            had exactly the same problem. In my case I had several instances of vi running which ate away my cpu time. If that's not the reason I am afraid I can't be too much of a help. Just two thoughts: Have you been rebooting your linkstation since you installed everything? Rebooting is going to kill every process that you initiated during installation and that isn't started based on a command in a script. If that doesn't help you could either go through each and every little detail of your installation or just reinstall the openlink firmware and slimserver. You should ask more knowledgeable people here re the reinstallation than myself before you do it. One more thing: Did you install Perl (I think it is 5.8.5)? Just because you didn't say anything about it. I used the Openlink firmware myself, in my case 0.5, which gave my root access, so I skipped the 1st part of Marc's how-to, then the slimserver, then Perl.

            Hope this helps at all.
            Jens

            wrote:
            > In article news:dblpop+pcd6@e..., "morituri64"
            <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@p...> wrote:

            > >I am wondering if there are any extra processes loaded with PPC
            > >Openlink 0.51b that are not really needed for running the LS1 and the
            > >SlimServer install? Is there anything running I can get rid of.
            >
            > Hi Jon,
            >
            > I'm not familiar with OpenLink, but you can run the "top" command
            (hit "q" when you're done) and see what processes are eating memory
            and cpu time on your LinkStation.

            > Marc

            Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher

          • Marc D. Field
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
              In article news:dbmahn+10c9@..., "morituri64" <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@...> wrote:
              >PPC Openlink 0.51b is a hacked version of 1.47 from
              >linkstationwiki.org. I have Top'ed the LS1 but nothing is caining it.
              >
              >I don't know what else it could be.

              And you're sure it's not related to your network? Are other computers running heavy traffic over the network when you're running the squeezebox (I've never had this problem, but you never know)? Have you tried using a wired connection from your router to the SB (wireless squeezeboxes have an ethernet port too), to be 100% certain it's not a wirless issue? Just ideas...

              Marc
            • morituri64
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005

                Yes, reboot everytime, and yes the perl install as well. There is
                nothing else on there, i really don't know what it could be.

                It is bugging the hell out of me.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Müller
                <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Jon,
                >
                > had exactly the same problem. In my case I had several instances of
                vi running which ate away my cpu time. If that's not the reason I am
                afraid I can't be too much of a help. Just two thoughts: Have you been
                rebooting your linkstation since you installed everything? Rebooting
                is going to kill every process that you initiated during installation
                and that isn't started based on a command in a script. If that doesn't
                help you could either go through each and every little detail of your
                installation or just reinstall the openlink firmware and slimserver.
                You should ask more knowledgeable people here re the reinstallation
                than myself before you do it. One more thing: Did you install Perl (I
                think it is 5.8.5)? Just because you didn't say anything about it. I
                used the Openlink firmware myself, in my case 0.5, which gave my root
                access, so I skipped the 1st part of Marc's how-to, then the
                slimserver, then Perl.

                > Hope this helps at all.
                > Jens
                >
                > morituri64 <morituri32@h...> schrieb:
                > Hello Marc,
                >
                > PPC Openlink 0.51b is a hacked version of 1.47 from
                > linkstationwiki.org. I have Top'ed the LS1 but nothing is caining it.
                >
                > I don't know what else it could be.
                >
                > Jon
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc D. Field <yahoo@f...>
                > wrote:
                > > In article news:dblpop+pcd6@e..., "morituri64"
                > <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@p...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > >I am wondering if there are any extra processes loaded with PPC
                > > >Openlink 0.51b that are not really needed for running the LS1 and the
                > > >SlimServer install? Is there anything running I can get rid of.
                > >
                > > Hi Jon,
                > >
                > > I'm not familiar with OpenLink, but you can run the "top" command
                > (hit "q" when you're done) and see what processes are eating memory
                > and cpu time on your LinkStation.
                > >
                > > Marc

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher
              • lb_worm
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                  <morituri32@h...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Yes, reboot everytime, and yes the perl install as well. There is
                  > nothing else on there, i really don't know what it could be.
                  >
                  > It is bugging the hell out of me.

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Müller
                  > <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hi Jon,
                  > >
                  > > had exactly the same problem. In my case I had several instances
                  of
                  > vi running which ate away my cpu time. If that's not the reason I
                  am
                  > afraid I can't be too much of a help. Just two thoughts: Have you
                  been
                  > rebooting your linkstation since you installed everything?
                  Rebooting
                  > is going to kill every process that you initiated during
                  installation
                  > and that isn't started based on a command in a script. If that
                  doesn't
                  > help you could either go through each and every little detail of
                  your
                  > installation or just reinstall the openlink firmware and
                  slimserver.
                  > You should ask more knowledgeable people here re the reinstallation
                  > than myself before you do it. One more thing: Did you install Perl
                  (I
                  > think it is 5.8.5)? Just because you didn't say anything about it.
                  > used the Openlink firmware myself, in my case 0.5, which gave my
                  root
                  > access, so I skipped the 1st part of Marc's how-to, then the
                  > slimserver, then Perl.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps at all.
                  > > Jens
                  > >
                  > > morituri64 <morituri32@h...> schrieb:
                  > > Hello Marc,
                  > >
                  > > PPC Openlink 0.51b is a hacked version of 1.47 from
                  > > linkstationwiki.org. I have Top'ed the LS1 but nothing is
                  caining it.

                  > > I don't know what else it could be.
                  > >
                  > > Jon
                  > >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc D. Field
                  <yahoo@f...>
                  > > wrote:

                  PPC

                  > > > Hi Jon,
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm not familiar with OpenLink, but you can run the "top"
                  command
                  > > (hit "q" when you're done) and see what processes are eating
                  memory
                  > > and cpu time on your LinkStation.
                  > > >
                  > > > Marc

                  > Service.
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher

                  Log into the linkstation when slimserver is running and type top.
                  This will tell you what is eating your CPU. You will find that when
                  slimerver first runs up and performs a scan it will consume around
                  95% of the CPU. If you have many albums in your music directory
                  then this could take an hour or more to complete (~10000 tracks).
                  Once it has completed the scan, then the CPU usage will drop to 0%
                  until you connect via the squeezebox. At this point, I would expect
                  to see CPU usage climb upto 20% at the most. If all looks okay at
                  the LS then I would look at your wireless network.
                • morituri64
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
                    Just found out that SlimServer is crashing out. Was trying to play a
                    playlist and the SqueezeBox reported that it couldn't find Slimserver.
                    Telnet'ed into the LS1 and the SlimServer process was not there.
                    Running the lastest nightly 07-21

                    Any ideas why the process could be dying?

                    And no, no heavy network traffic at all.

                    Thanks

                    wrote:
                    > In article news:dbmahn+10c9@e..., "morituri64"
                    <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@p...> wrote:
                    > >PPC Openlink 0.51b is a hacked version of 1.47 from
                    > >linkstationwiki.org. I have Top'ed the LS1 but nothing is caining it.
                    > >
                    > >I don't know what else it could be.
                    >
                    > And you're sure it's not related to your network? Are other
                    computers running heavy traffic over the network when you're running
                    the squeezebox (I've never had this problem, but you never know)?
                    Have you tried using a wired connection from your router to the SB
                    (wireless squeezeboxes have an ethernet port too), to be 100% certain
                    it's not a wirless issue? Just ideas...

                    > Marc
                  • David Taylor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
                      You're not playing disco by any chance, are you? Given a choice, most would
                      rather kill themselves than play disco.

                      wrote:
                      > In article news:dbmahn+10c9@e..., "morituri64"
                      <morituri32-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@p...> wrote:
                      > >PPC Openlink 0.51b is a hacked version of 1.47 from
                      > >linkstationwiki.org. I have Top'ed the LS1 but nothing is caining it.
                      > >
                      > >I don't know what else it could be.
                      >
                      > And you're sure it's not related to your network? Are other
                      computers running heavy traffic over the network when you're running
                      the squeezebox (I've never had this problem, but you never know)?
                      Have you tried using a wired connection from your router to the SB
                      (wireless squeezeboxes have an ethernet port too), to be 100% certain
                      it's not a wirless issue? Just ideas...

                      > Marc

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • morituri64