Shoutcast / Twonkyvision problem

  • cgjonesp900
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 19, 2005

      I'm running Twonkyvision mediaserver 2.8 on my MIPS based Linkstation
      but I cannot get any internet radio. I have it enabled in the ini
      file and to automatically scan for pop channels but all my MP101 says
      is 'no connection to Shoutcast'.

      Anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you get around it
      because I am coming up with nothing.

      Thanks in advance.
    • han320yah
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
        Sorry but I don't have the answer, however I have exactly the same
        problem. I'll email Twonky Support and see if they can help.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cgjonesp900" <colin@d...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm running Twonkyvision mediaserver 2.8 on my MIPS based
        Linkstation
        > but I cannot get any internet radio. I have it enabled in the ini
        > file and to automatically scan for pop channels but all my MP101
        says
        > is 'no connection to Shoutcast'.
        >
        > Anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you get around it
        > because I am coming up with nothing.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
      • han320yah
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
          O.K. the reply from Twonky support has isolated the problem and I
          think I've got it working now. The problem lies with the
          Linkstation not being able to resolve the shoutcast server. This is
          caused by the Linkstation being given a static IP address, which
          many of us have done. The answer is to edit the resolv.conf file
          within the LS.
          Basically you need to ssh or telnet into your Linkstation and change
          directory to /etc (use cd /etc).
          If you now type ls you should see the directory contents. The
          resolv.conf file should be present in this directory.
          Add the following line to the file:
          nameserver 192.168.1.1
          BUT replace the IP address above with the IP address of your
          router. Reboot and it SHOULD work.....

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah" <b747@o...>
          wrote:
          > Sorry but I don't have the answer, however I have exactly the same
          > problem. I'll email Twonky Support and see if they can help.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cgjonesp900"
          <colin@d...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm running Twonkyvision mediaserver 2.8 on my MIPS based
          > Linkstation
          > > but I cannot get any internet radio. I have it enabled in the
          ini
          > > file and to automatically scan for pop channels but all my MP101
          > says
          > > is 'no connection to Shoutcast'.
          > >
          > > Anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you get around it
          > > because I am coming up with nothing.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
        • Schelte Bron
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
            On Wednesday 20 July 2005 18:06, han320yah wrote:
            > The resolv.conf file should be present in this directory. Add
            > the following line to the file:
            > nameserver 192.168.1.1
            > BUT replace the IP address above with the IP address of your
            > router. Reboot and it SHOULD work.....

            The LS is not running Windows! There is absolutely no need to
            reboot after changing /etc/resolv.conf.
          • cgjonesp900
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
              Thanks for that. Tried it. Still the same. Did you have any joy?

              wrote:
              > O.K. the reply from Twonky support has isolated the problem and I
              > think I've got it working now. The problem lies with the
              > Linkstation not being able to resolve the shoutcast server. This
              is
              > caused by the Linkstation being given a static IP address, which
              > many of us have done. The answer is to edit the resolv.conf file
              > within the LS.
              > Basically you need to ssh or telnet into your Linkstation and
              change
              > directory to /etc (use cd /etc).
              > If you now type ls you should see the directory contents. The
              > resolv.conf file should be present in this directory.
              > Add the following line to the file:
              > nameserver 192.168.1.1
              > BUT replace the IP address above with the IP address of your
              > router. Reboot and it SHOULD work.....
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
              <b747@o...>
              > wrote:
              > > Sorry but I don't have the answer, however I have exactly the
              same
              > > problem. I'll email Twonky Support and see if they can help.
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cgjonesp900"
              > <colin@d...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I'm running Twonkyvision mediaserver 2.8 on my MIPS based
              > > Linkstation
              > > > but I cannot get any internet radio. I have it enabled in the
              > ini
              > > > file and to automatically scan for pop channels but all my
              MP101
              > > says
              > > > is 'no connection to Shoutcast'.
              > > >
              > > > Anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you get around
              it
              > > > because I am coming up with nothing.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance.
            • Peter Müller
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
                Slimserver requires the DNS (domain name server) addresses of your primary (and secondary) DNS in this file in the following format:

                nameserver ###.###.##.##
                nameserver ###.###.##.##

                Check http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation4.html for more. I hope you are ok with posting this link, Marc.

                If this helps with twonky is beyond my knowledge. Just wanted to point it out to you, you might want to give it a try.

                Jens

                wrote:
                > O.K. the reply from Twonky support has isolated the problem and I
                > think I've got it working now.  The problem lies with the
                > Linkstation not being able to resolve the shoutcast server.  This
                is
                > caused by the Linkstation being given a static IP address, which
                > many of us have done.  The answer is to edit the resolv.conf file
                > within the LS.
                > Basically you need to ssh or telnet into your Linkstation and
                change
                > directory to /etc  (use cd /etc).
                > If you now type ls you should see the directory contents.  The
                > resolv.conf file should be present in this directory.
                > Add the following line to the file:
                > nameserver 192.168.1.1
                > BUT replace the IP address above with the IP address of your
                > router.  Reboot and it SHOULD work.....
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                <b747@o...>
                > wrote:
                > > Sorry but I don't have the answer, however I have exactly the
                same
                > > problem.  I'll email Twonky Support and see if they can help.
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cgjonesp900"
                > <colin@d...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > I'm running Twonkyvision mediaserver 2.8 on my MIPS based
                > > Linkstation
                > > > but I cannot get any internet radio.  I have it enabled in the
                > ini
                > > > file and to automatically scan for pop channels but all my
                MP101
                > > says
                > > > is 'no connection to Shoutcast'.
                > > >
                > > > Anybody else had this problem?  If so, how did you get around
                it
                > > > because I am coming up with nothing.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks in advance.

                Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher

              • han320yah
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
                  Got it working with the advice below. You have to enter both the
                  Primary and Secondary DNS from your ISP in the resolv.conf file. I
                  obtained this info from my router config.
                  Hope that helps and good luck!

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Müller
                  <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                  > Slimserver requires the DNS (domain name server) addresses of your
                  primary (and secondary) DNS in this file in the following format:

                  > nameserver ###.###.##.##
                  > nameserver ###.###.##.##
                  >
                  > Check http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation4.html for more. I
                  hope you are ok with posting this link, Marc.

                  > If this helps with twonky is beyond my knowledge. Just wanted to
                  point it out to you, you might want to give it a try.

                  > Jens
                  >

                  > cgjonesp900 <colin@d...> schrieb:
                  > Thanks for that. Tried it. Still the same. Did you have any joy?
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                  <b747@o...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > O.K. the reply from Twonky support has isolated the problem and
                  > > think I've got it working now. The problem lies with the
                  > > Linkstation not being able to resolve the shoutcast server.
                  This
                  > is
                  > > caused by the Linkstation being given a static IP address, which
                  > > many of us have done. The answer is to edit the resolv.conf
                  file
                  > > within the LS.
                  > > Basically you need to ssh or telnet into your Linkstation and
                  > change
                  > > directory to /etc (use cd /etc).
                  > > If you now type ls you should see the directory contents. The
                  > > resolv.conf file should be present in this directory.
                  > > Add the following line to the file:
                  > > nameserver 192.168.1.1
                  > > BUT replace the IP address above with the IP address of your
                  > > router. Reboot and it SHOULD work.....
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                  > <b747@o...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Sorry but I don't have the answer, however I have exactly the
                  > same
                  > > > problem. I'll email Twonky Support and see if they can help.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cgjonesp900"
                  > > <colin@d...>

                  > > > Linkstation
                  > > ini
                  > MP101
                  > > > says

                  > it

                  > Buffalo linkstation Communication and networking Kitchen hardware
                  Network hardware Networking hardware Door hardware

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher
                • lb_worm
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > Got it working with the advice below. You have to enter both the
                    > Primary and Secondary DNS from your ISP in the resolv.conf file.
                    > obtained this info from my router config.
                    > Hope that helps and good luck!
                    >
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Müller
                    > <ortho_man@y...> wrote:
                    > > Slimserver requires the DNS (domain name server) addresses of
                    your
                    > primary (and secondary) DNS in this file in the following format:
                    > >
                    > > nameserver ###.###.##.##
                    > > nameserver ###.###.##.##
                    > >
                    > > Check http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation4.html for more.
                    > hope you are ok with posting this link, Marc.
                    > >
                    > > If this helps with twonky is beyond my knowledge. Just wanted to
                    > point it out to you, you might want to give it a try.
                    > >
                    > > Jens
                    > >

                    > > cgjonesp900 <colin@d...> schrieb:
                    > > Thanks for that. Tried it. Still the same. Did you have any
                    joy?

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                    > <b747@o...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > O.K. the reply from Twonky support has isolated the problem
                    and
                    > > > think I've got it working now. The problem lies with the
                    > > > Linkstation not being able to resolve the shoutcast server.
                    > This
                    > > is
                    > > > caused by the Linkstation being given a static IP address,
                    which
                    > > > many of us have done. The answer is to edit the resolv.conf
                    > file
                    > > > within the LS.
                    > > > Basically you need to ssh or telnet into your Linkstation and
                    > > change
                    > > > directory to /etc (use cd /etc).
                    > > > If you now type ls you should see the directory contents. The
                    > > > resolv.conf file should be present in this directory.
                    > > > Add the following line to the file:
                    > > > nameserver 192.168.1.1
                    > > > BUT replace the IP address above with the IP address of your
                    > > > router. Reboot and it SHOULD work.....
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                    > > <b747@o...>
                    > > same

                    > > > <colin@d...>

                    > the
                    > > > ini
                    > > MP101

                    > around
                    > > it

                    > > Buffalo linkstation Communication and networking Kitchen
                    hardware
                    > Network hardware Networking hardware Door hardware

                    > Service.
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher

                    Just as a matter of interest, what do you use as a client player to
                    Twonky?
                  • cgjonesp900
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 21, 2005
                      Woohoooooooo all working fine. MP101 is now brilliant. Before it
                      was good but just annoying that I couldn't get the radio working.

                      Thanks for all of your help fellas

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"

                    • han320yah
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 25, 2005
                        I'm using a Philips Streamium SL400i with the Twonky Mediaserver.