Raid on KuroBox?

  • miggroups
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2005
      I have replaced the soldered cable on my KuroBox HG board with a
      socket and installed a duel IDE cable. I'm able to attach two HDs
      /dev/hda /dev/hdb to the KuroBox.

      I'm looking for a way to enable a software raid-1 between these disks.
      I've installed Debian on the KuroBox HG and used apt-get to install
      the mdadm and raidtools packages, but I seem to be missing the kernel
      modules md.o and raid1.o

      I guess I'm a bit confused on how to get/make these kernel modules,
      since, I believe, I'm still using the MontaVista 2.4 kernel.

      Any advise or help would be appreciated.

      -- Mig
    • David
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
        I was wondering if the hardware or the kernel would be able to use
        both master and slave id's. I thought it would. Do you have access
        to the slave? I want to try this on a linkstation and take the board
        and put it in a rackmount. Thanks for letting us know what you've
        done. If you get access to the slave, please let us know.

        Dave.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "miggroups"
        <anthony.t.migliore@b...> wrote:
        > I have replaced the soldered cable on my KuroBox HG board with a
        > socket and installed a duel IDE cable. I'm able to attach two HDs
        > /dev/hda /dev/hdb to the KuroBox.
        >
        > I'm looking for a way to enable a software raid-1 between these
        disks.
        > I've installed Debian on the KuroBox HG and used apt-get to install
        > the mdadm and raidtools packages, but I seem to be missing the kernel
        > modules md.o and raid1.o
        >
        > I guess I'm a bit confused on how to get/make these kernel modules,
        > since, I believe, I'm still using the MontaVista 2.4 kernel.
        >
        > Any advise or help would be appreciated.
        >
        > -- Mig
      • miggroups
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
          Dave,

          I can access both drives. As soon as I powered up the system with the
          duel IDE cable, setup the partitions and filesystem for /dev/hdb and
          mounted the drive. I have them jumpered as master and slave (not
          cable select). They are identical 40GB drives,
          salvaged from a pair ReplayTV 5040 drive upgrades. I get identical
          performace stats from hdparm -t. It appears the hardware is working
          correctly.

          I'd like to use a RAID1 configuration to mirror the disks, but can't
          seem to understand the requirement to build the md.o and raid.o
          modules. As a fall back, I can alway use a cron script to do a
          nightly copy from master to slave for redundency. I thought the raid
          would be a cleaner solution, as long as there are no performance
          issues.

          -- Mig

          P.S.
          I didn't think the Kuro power supply was up to the task of powering
          two drives, so I'm using a power brick from a IDE to USB adapter cable
          like this one http://tinyurl.com/86xug and I'm mounting the extra
          drive in a quiet external case called "drive-a-way"
          http://www.nexustek.nl/driveaway.htm (I got the black
          one to match the KuroBox)

          I installed the smartmontools package and the disk in the KuroBox
          (actually the half open KuroBox to allow the IDE cable to run out to
          the external drive-a-way case) is running at ~ 47 deg C. The drive in
          the drive-a-way is running ~3 deg C hotter (~50 deg C)

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dlfisher@p...>
          wrote:
          > I was wondering if the hardware or the kernel would be able to use
          > both master and slave id's. I thought it would. Do you have
          access
          > to the slave? I want to try this on a linkstation and take the
          board
          > and put it in a rackmount. Thanks for letting us know what you've
          > done. If you get access to the slave, please let us know.
          >
          > Dave.
        • miggroups
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2005
            bump...