Installing/Compiling new Programs

  • Nicholas Pappas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2005
      Hello all.

      Okay, so I got my LS2 hocked up with SSH now and I feel really warm and
      fuzzy. mmm... fuzzy. So now I sit here wondering if I should go for
      the full Debian install or if I should try at just installing packages
      in the LS's native environment.

      I was condering a mail client server which would include smtp,
      fetchmail, postfix, SpamAssassin and imap. Has anyone looked into
      putting these into the LS2? But a friend has been suggesting a
      different way to handle my mail, by routing it all through GMail...
      amazingly, I can only see 1 disadvantage to that and several advantages.
      So I think my mail server idea is bust, but it might be useful to
      others! :)

      But here is what I still want to do! I am wanting to install a source
      control system on my LS -- specifically, Subversion
      (http://subversion.tigris.org). This would be great in a native system,
      as you could set aside a directory in /mnt/hda for all your source
      contrl. You could access it as you should (i.e., via svn) or you could
      cheat and just access it directly too! I guess you could password
      protect the directory too, so you are less tempted. :)

      To my question/request -- what steps do I need to go through to try and
      install Subversion on my LS?

      - install the MIPSel Tools
      - unpack the subversion source somewhere on /mnt/hda
      - simply attempt to compile as normal (?)
      - install the binaries to /root, or (e.g.) /mnt/hda/svn-bin?

      Is that pretty much it? Once I get it (if I get it...) compiled, would
      others be interested in the package?

      Thanks for any help!