password hack oops

  • c_dito
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2005
      Hi all,
      I've been looking for a way to hack the root passwd on my hd-160. The
      method posted in the files section to run a cgi worked great. It
      opened the rights of the passwd file just as advertised. I gained
      access to the password file, changed the entry for root, saved and
      closed the file, then all rights to /etc were gone. Root used to have
      a uid of 100, now all of the files and directories in the / directory
      belong to uid 0 gid 0. I cannot access /etc, although I can see by the
      directory size that there is something in it. The web interface still
      works, I can change anything in it, I just can't change the linux
      passwords. We used to do this procedure to change local root passwords
      on sun systems. Is there any way to gain access to /etc again?
      The password for root was set to ' ', it doesn't allow me to use ' ' as
      a login passwd.