Updating Perl SlimServer

  • James S Stubbs
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hi All,

      I am using the LinkStation with SlimServer 5.4.0 and confirm it works
      great. One of the new features is a RSS feed, however it really needs to
      use Perl 5.8.x rather than what I have which is 5.6.1.

      Questions:

      I have looked at the http://www.perl.com/download.csp#stable site and
      can find Stable.tar.gz which I understand is 5.8.5, can I use this version.

      Do I have to remove/rename the existing /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 folder

      When I last updated perl on my LinkStation I put the .tar.gz file in /
      and ran tar -zxvf perl-5.6.1.tar.gz usr
      Do I put it in the same place and run the same command, replacing
      perl-5.6.1 with stable.

      Many thanks.

      James.
    • Art Age
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
        The stable.tar.gz file is likely a source
        distribution, so you will need to build it prior to
        installing. Here are the steps I took to upgrade my
        LinkStation to the latest stable perl build:

        First, copy stable.tar.gz to the linkstation's share
        at /mnt/share/.

        Then:
        cd /usr/local/src
        tar xzf /mnt/share/stable.tar.gz
        cd perl-5.8.5
        rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
        sh Configure -de
        make
        make test
        make install

        At least the final "make install" step will need to be
        performed as root.
        This will install the new perl into /usr/local/bin.
        Depending on your path setting, this will override the
        stock perl installation, but you may want to delete it
        once you have confirmed the new perl is working.

        Yoy may also want to edit the first line of your
        slimserver.pl file to explicitly look for perl in the
        new location like so:

        #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

        Of course, you need to have the development tools
        installed to build perl, and it does take a while. But
        it works great once installed.

        Incidentally, I could not get the slimserver's cache
        to work until I updated to perl 5.8.x.

        Sam

        --- James S Stubbs <stubbsjuk@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am using the LinkStation with SlimServer 5.4.0 and
        > confirm it works
        > great. One of the new features is a RSS feed,
        > however it really needs to
        > use Perl 5.8.x rather than what I have which is
        > 5.6.1.
        >
        > Questions:
        >
        > I have looked at the
        > http://www.perl.com/download.csp#stable site and
        > can find Stable.tar.gz which I understand is 5.8.5,
        > can I use this version.
        >
        > Do I have to remove/rename the existing
        > /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 folder
        >
        > When I last updated perl on my LinkStation I put the
        > .tar.gz file in /
        > and ran tar -zxvf perl-5.6.1.tar.gz usr
        > Do I put it in the same place and run the same
        > command, replacing
        > perl-5.6.1 with stable.
        >
        > Many thanks.
        >
        > James.

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
          Art Age wrote:

          >The stable.tar.gz file is likely a source
          >distribution, so you will need to build it prior to
          >installing. Here are the steps I took to upgrade my
          >LinkStation to the latest stable perl build:
          >
          >First, copy stable.tar.gz to the linkstation's share
          >at /mnt/share/.
          >
          >Then:
          > cd /usr/local/src
          > tar xzf /mnt/share/stable.tar.gz
          > cd perl-5.8.5
          > rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
          > sh Configure -de
          > make
          > make test
          > make install
          >
          >At least the final "make install" step will need to be
          >performed as root.
          >This will install the new perl into /usr/local/bin.
          >Depending on your path setting, this will override the
          >stock perl installation, but you may want to delete it
          >once you have confirmed the new perl is working.

          FWIW, on my Kuro Box, I set the install path to /usr so 5.8.5 would
          replace 5.6.x altogether. To do this, leave out the '-de' switch when
          doing Configure. Answer the questions up until the install path by
          accepting defaults. After answering '/usr' twice, answer the next
          question with '& -d' to use defaults for the rest of the install.

          I also found that the 'make test' process would fail 4 tests that use
          Cwd.pm. I fixed this by installing the GNU core utils package, but you
          might be able to get away with just installing /bin/pwd.

          >Incidentally, I could not get the slimserver's cache
          >to work until I updated to perl 5.8.x.

          Same thing here.

          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
            Hi Art,

            Thank you. I am a real newbie at Linux so can you please explain a few
            things for me.

            What "Build" tools do I need and where can I find how to install them?

            I can't see that I have a directory /usr/local/src ?

            You mention that it will be installed into /usr/local/bin again that
            directory does not exist, does the "make install" create this directory?

            At present perl 5.6.1 is in /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 and every thing works,
            I did not have to edit the slimserver.pl file to look for it.

            How do I confirm the "new perl" is working. I got the impression that
            the web interface requires perl, if I remove the .../perl/5.6.1
            directory will the interface still work.?

            I apologise if these questions appear basic, but I would prefer to
            understand why I am doing things.

            Best wishes.

            James.

          • Art Age
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
              James,

              If you've never built software on Linux before, it can
              present a bit of a learning curve. I installed the
              development tools from the revogear site (the kuro box
              and linkstation are virtually identical hardware-wise,
              and these tools work without incident).

              /usr/local/src is a typical directory for depositing
              source code prior to building. You can create the
              directory if it does not exist like so:

              mkdir -p /usr/local/src

              "make install" should create any missing directories
              it needs.

              Once installed, the LinkStation's web interface works
              fine with the new perl. However, I believe the
              slimserver code may be hardcoded to look for perl in
              /usr/bin, hence the need to edit it if you install the
              new perl in a different directory (such as
              /usr/local).

              Hope this helps.

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • James S Stubbs
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
                Sam,

                I have had a look at the www.revogear.com site but can't find any
                developement tools, can you help me with a link?

                Best wishes.

                James.

              • Art Age
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 22, 2004
                  Try this:

                  http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip

> [...]

                  > > > What "Build" tools do I need and where can I
                  > find
                  > > > how to install them?
                  > > >
                  > > > I can't see that I have a directory
                  > /usr/local/src ?
                  > > >
                  > > > You mention that it will be installed into
                  > > > /usr/local/bin again that
                  > > > directory does not exist, does the "make
                  > install"
                  > > > create this directory?
                  > > >
                  > > > At present perl 5.6.1 is in
                  > /usr/share/perl/5.6.1
                  > > > and every thing works,
                  > > > I did not have to edit the slimserver.pl file to
                  > > > look for it.
                  > > >
                  > > > How do I confirm the "new perl" is working. I
                  > got
                  > > > the impression that
                  > > > the web interface requires perl, if I remove the
                  > > > .../perl/5.6.1
                  > > > directory will the interface still work.?
                  > > >
                  > > > I apologise if these questions appear basic, but

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • milanhawkins
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2004
                    I'm also having problems installing the latest version of Perl. I have
                    SlimServer running successfully with Perl 5.6.1, but, upon trying to
                    upgrade (using instructions from this list), I get "disk full"
                    messages. As my "share" is empty, I take it these messages relate to a
                    LinkStation system disk? If so, is there anything that I can safely
                    delete?
                  • ianlawton68
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23, 2004
                      Sam,
                      Would you mind adding the compiled version of the 5.8.x Perl release
                      to the Files section of the forum to make it easier for newbies like
                      us to install it? And would adding these files make it possible for
                      us to just copy them over to our Linkstations like we had to with
                      the 5.6 build?

                      Cheers

                      Ian

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age <artagesw@y...>

                    • Art Age
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 23, 2004
                        I'll see what I can do. I'll need to rebuild it into a
                        segregated environment in order to package it up as an
                        installable tar ball.

                        Sam

                        --- ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@...> wrote:

                        > Sam,
                        > Would you mind adding the compiled version of the
                        > 5.8.x Perl release
                        > to the Files section of the forum to make it easier
                        > for newbies like
                        > us to install it? And would adding these files make
                        > it possible for
                        > us to just copy them over to our Linkstations like
                        > we had to with
                        > the 5.6 build?
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Ian
                        >

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age
                        > <artagesw@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Try this:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
                        > >
                        > > Sam
                        > >
                        > > --- James S Stubbs <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Sam,
                        > > >
                        > > > I have had a look at the www.revogear.com site
                        > but
                        > > > can't find any
                        > > > developement tools, can you help me with a link?
                        > > >
                        > > > Best wishes.
                        > > >
                        > > > James.

                        > before, it
                        > > > can
                        > the
                        > kuro
                        > > > box
                        > > > hardware-wise,

                        > > > depositing
                        > the

                        > > > directories

                        > interface
                        > > > works
                        > perl
                        > > > in
                        > install
                        > > > the

                        > can
                        > > > you

                        > > > find

                        > > > /usr/local/src ?

                        > > > install"

                        > > > /usr/share/perl/5.6.1
                        > file to

                        > > > got
                        > the

                        > but

                        > > > prior
                        > > > upgrade
                        > build:

                        > linkstation's

                        > will
                        > > > need
                        > > > override
                        > > > working.

                        > of
                        > > > your
                        > perl
                        > > > in

                        > development
                        > > > tools
                        > > > while.

                        > slimserver's

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Art Age
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 23, 2004
                          OK, I have built a tarball of perl-5.8.5 for the
                          linkstation. Unfortunately, it is too large (8.5MB) to
                          upload to the files area. Does anyone have some server
                          space available to host this file?

                          Sam

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • ianlawton68
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                            Excellent Sam, thanks so much for doing that. I have some ftpspace
                            that you can use. Ill send you the login details by private email.
                            If anyone else needs access to the file please email me and I will
                            give you the details too, just in case I need to control numbers.

                            Thanks again

                            wrote:
                            > OK, I have built a tarball of perl-5.8.5 for the
                            > linkstation. Unfortunately, it is too large (8.5MB) to
                            > upload to the files area. Does anyone have some server
                            > space available to host this file?
                            >
                            > Sam
                            >
                            > --- Art Age <artagesw@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I'll see what I can do. I'll need to rebuild it into
                            > > segregated environment in order to package it up as
                            > > an
                            > > installable tar ball.
                            > >
                            > > Sam
                            > >
                            > > --- ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > Sam,
                            > > > Would you mind adding the compiled version of the
                            > > > 5.8.x Perl release
                            > > > to the Files section of the forum to make it
                            > > easier
                            > > > for newbies like
                            > > > us to install it? And would adding these files
                            > > make
                            > > > it possible for
                            > > > us to just copy them over to our Linkstations like
                            > > > we had to with
                            > > > the 5.6 build?
                            > > >
                            > > > Cheers
                            > > >
                            > > > Ian
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art
                            > > Age
                            > > > <artagesw@y...>

                            > > > but
                            > > link?

                            > > > before, it
                            > > installed
                            > > > the
                            > > (the
                            > > > kuro

                            > > create
                            > > > the

                            > > > interface
                            > > the
                            > > > perl
                            > > > install

                            > > > can

                            > > > file to

                            > > working.
                            > > remove
                            > > > the

                            > > basic,
                            > > > but

                            > > source
                            > > it
                            > > > build:

                            > > > linkstation's

                            > > > will
                            > > will
                            > > want
                            > >
                            > === message truncated ===

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • bubba
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                              Hi Ian,

                              I'd be really grateful for access to download the file too please!

                              Regards,

                              Milan.

                              wrote:
                              > OK, I have built a tarball of perl-5.8.5 for the linkstation.
                              > Unfortunately, it is too large (8.5MB) to upload to the files area.
                              > Does anyone have some server space available to host this file?
                              >
                              > Sam
                              >
                              > --- Art Age <artagesw@y...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I'll see what I can do. I'll need to rebuild it into a segregated
                              > > environment in order to package it up as an installable tar ball.
                              > >
                              > > Sam
                              > >
                              > > --- ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > Sam,
                              > > > Would you mind adding the compiled version of the 5.8.x Perl
                              > > > release to the Files section of the forum to make it
                              > > easier
                              > > > for newbies like
                              > > > us to install it? And would adding these files
                              > > make
                              > > > it possible for
                              > > > us to just copy them over to our Linkstations like we had to with
                              > > > the 5.6 build?
                              > > >
                              > > > Cheers
                              > > >
                              > > > Ian
                              > > >

                              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art
                              > > Age
                              > > > <artagesw@y...>

                              > > > but
                              > > link?

                              > > > before, it
                              > > installed
                              > > > the
                              > > (the
                              > > > kuro

                              > > create
                              > > > the

                              > > > interface
                              > > the
                              > > > perl
                              > > > install

                              > > > can

                              > > > file to

                              > > working.
                              > > remove
                              > > > the

                              > > basic,
                              > > > but

                              > > source
                              > > it
                              > > > build:

                              > > > linkstation's

                              > > > will
                              > > will
                              > > want
                              > >
                              > === message truncated ===

                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM
                            • James S Stubbs
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 25, 2004
                                Hi Ian,

                                I too would be grateful if I can down load the file.

                                Best wishes.

                                James.

                                stubbsjuk_at_yahoo.co.uk