Re: [LinkStation_General] Knoppix and the LinkStation.

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 19 5:40 PM
      --- James S Stubbs <stubbsjuk@...> wrote:

      > Note: It appears that when you shutdown (From the
      > web page) and start up again it replaces the
      > smb.conf file back to the original. I noticed that
      > there is a smb.conf.bak file in the samba folder, I
      > wonder if it uses that ?

      No, I think there is probably a file in the web page
      area (I forgot where that was exactly), but I remember
      there are files with a lot of settings for all the
      things you can control under the Web interface there.
      Perhaps if you go modify that one, it will stop
      fighting you.

      > I was aware of the command rm -r (recursive) and
      > assumed that the word meant "Every thing below"
      > but when I looked for the word in the
      > dictionary I could not find a clear meaning and
      > thus was not happy to use it..... I'm still not :-)

      Be happy, but careful. It will delete the directory
      whose name you give and everything below. It works
      just like the old MSDOS "deltree" command.

      > I am probably pushing my luck, but my original
      > question was how could I see the link station files
      > if I use the Knoppix Live CD.

      The easiest way is assuming you let Knoppix load the
      default "KDE" graphical environment is to open up
      "Konqueror" (the globe looking icon) and in the
      "Location:" bar type "smb://<linkstation name>", where
      <linkstaion name> is the name you gave your
      linkstation in the web setup. It should then go and
      display all the shares just like if you entered
      "\\<linkstation name" in Windows Explorer and give you
      all the same control over things like copying,
      deleting, creating files, etc.

      Oh and now for some of the parts I probably left out,
      You might need to start the Samba server for this to
      work. It also wouldn't hurt to configure it. To
      start it, find the icon in the "K/Knoppix/Services"
      menu folder and click on it. To configure it try
      entering "localhost:901" in a Konqueror "location"
      bar. If that doesn't work edit /etc/inetd.conf and
      uncomment (take the "#" out of the front of) the line
      close to the bottom that has the word "swat" in it.
      Who knows what version of Knoppix you have; things
      change a lot in a short amount of time, so expect
      errors in my exact instructions.

      > the reason I
      > asked the question was because I figure if I am to
      > trying and learn Linux I might as well start using
      > a Linux OS even if I still need/feel
      > more comfortable with the GUI rather than using
      > Windows.

      Knoppix is real good IMHO. You know you can "clone"
      it to a hard drive using this little known command
      line "sudo /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer"

      If you need to shrink you existing Windows partition
      to fit it on your hard drive first, you can use the
      "QTParted" program that is found in the "system" menu
      from the big "K" (i.e. "start") menu. Oh and you need
      2.5 Gigs minimum, over 3 gigs is recommended. You
      should also create a swap partition of about 256 Megs
      or so too. Of course be real careful with all this
      stuff, but it does work, I've used it.

      Once on the hard drive you can then change things
      since you are no longer running on a read-only CDROM.
      Knoppix also boots faster and runs better on a hard
      drive. I'm actually using a copy of Knoppix 3.4 this
      way right now on this computer. I just got done with
      a massive software update session with it. Be sure to
      check out OpenOffice too, it works pretty good for a
      free replacement to MS-Office.

      > I guess I need to mount the drive some how but I am
      > not clear as to what I should do. I just realized
      > that I changed "View shared folder to
      > Widows". I will change it to Win/Mac and see if I
      > can see the share when I start up using Knoppix.

      Not real sure I follow what you are saying here, but
      yes you can mount the share in the knoppix file
      system. Here is an example of the command-line way of
      doing it (from a shell)

      sudo bash < gets you into root privleges
      cd /mnt < traditional place for mounts
      mkdir buffalo < make a blank directory
      mount -t smbfs //buffalo/share buffalo

      If all went right, buffalo's "share" should be under
      "/mnt/buffalo". You can do a "man mount" to get all
      the options under doing the mount such as logging in
      with different usernames.

      If you want a graphical tool and successfully got
      Knoppix connecting to the internet, then run
      "synaptic" from the system menu and search for
      "xsmbrowser" and install it, you might have to do a
      "reload" (the current file list) first if yours is too
      far out of date.

      Have fun, Linux does have a steep learning curve, but
      I think it is well worth it. Anymore I feel crippled
      when running Windows in comparison.

      Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

      Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

      Do You Yahoo!?