kurobox.com is lost

  • David
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
      So I see that in the attempts of moving servers from place to place
      the www.kurobox.com domain name wasn't renewed on time (and as a
      result) was lost to one of the search rings (URL spammers).

      Is someone working on resurrecting the old site (have backups of the
      articles that were there?). I'd be happy to try and set something up
      if noone else wishes to have a go at it (or is currently working on
      something). The revolutionstore.com people don't seem to be putting
      much impetus on providing a user collaboration area for
      firmware/software development...

      Or if there is another place that is for user collaboration that
      currently exists...?

      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      Using Outlook Express and want some color? http://tinyurl.com/39goy
      Funstuff: Are you going to come quietly or do I have to use earplugs?
    • Art Wallace
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
        I received this reply from waite (he's the admin and is on this list
        too):

        Thanks for the concern. I have sent Sven an email last Friday morning
        regarding the hostname. Right now I don't think it is lost to spammers.
        It seems like it is in a holding pattern, but I don't know for how long.
        I will try to ping Sven again today about it. I am not too frustrated by
        this to continue working on the site I only wish I could get Sven to
        concentrate for a day on finishing up the Kurobox move. Time will tell.

        Art Wallace
        art@...

        So I see that in the attempts of moving servers from place to place the
        www.kurobox.com domain name wasn't renewed on time (and as a
        result) was lost to one of the search rings (URL spammers).

        Is someone working on resurrecting the old site (have backups of the
        articles that were there?). I'd be happy to try and set something up if
        noone else wishes to have a go at it (or is currently working on
        something). The revolutionstore.com people don't seem to be putting much
        impetus on providing a user collaboration area for firmware/software
        development...

        Or if there is another place that is for user collaboration that
        currently exists...?

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123 Using Outlook Express and
        want some color? http://tinyurl.com/39goy
        Funstuff: Are you going to come quietly or do I have to use earplugs?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • David Taylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
          I have copies of the files required for installing Gentoo and the
          instructions. I also have the "Administrate Your System article" I can also
          write some stuff although I am very new to Gentoo and The Kuro Box - I do
          have some experience hacking an IBSS under FreeBSD, and am certainly not
          afraid of screwing something up and having to start over as this is more of
          a gadget to me than anything.

          Dave Taylor

        • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
            > I received this reply from waite (he's the admin and is on this list
            > too):
            >
            > Thanks for the concern. I have sent Sven an email last Friday morning
            > regarding the hostname. Right now I don't think it is lost to
            > spammers.
            > It seems like it is in a holding pattern, but I don't know
            > for how long.
            > I will try to ping Sven again today about it. I am not too
            > frustrated by
            > this to continue working on the site I only wish I could get Sven to
            > concentrate for a day on finishing up the Kurobox move. Time
            > will tell.

            Good to hear. I hope something materializes soon, I've had this Kuro HG that
            I spent over an hour trying to get any firmware loaded on it. Found
            kurobox.com, and the articles there. Used them (had some problems with
            stupid stuff that wasn't covered in the article), tried to register (and
            couldn't because the registration function was broken) so I could update the
            wiki with the problems I encountered.

            From that point on I've been stumped. Been waiting for server move, fixed
            wiki etc. <frustration>

            For the guys that are working on the Gentoo and Debian builds for the Kuro
            (HG?) box, where are they collaborating (are they collaborating, or just
            trying to do this solo)? Do they have a sourceforge project for file
            storage, or another site (forum or wiki) up and running that lets them
            collaborate?

            Just looking for somewhere to work with others on this box with o-so many
            possibilities.

            (Dave Taylor, think you could upload the Gentoo files - and any other files
            if you want - into ftp://powerpro.dyndns.org/uploads/kurogentoo )
            Thanks!
            David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
            TightVNC - Remote Control software that's just good http://www.tightvnc.com
            Funstuff: It matters not whether you win or lose. It matters whether I win
            or lose.
          • wedgemusic
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
              I have a great surprise...

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David" <WRT54G.yg@d...>

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                We have a KuroBox email list that serves as a backup for the Kuro
                community at:

                I've archived the Gentoo install docs there but not the binaries. I have
                them.

                And I set up a reorganized version of the Gentoo install docs here:
                <http://kurobox.crankedup.com/guides/gentoo-b1-install/>

                They are working on the Debian distro for PPC and MIPS on this list.
                There are also several sites with currently working Debian installs for
                the Kuro out there, such as this:
                <http://kuro.dsk.jp>

                TGL, who did most of the Gentoo work, used to hang out in the official
                Gentoo French forums. He may still be there but I haven't checked in a
                while.

                Art Wallace
                art@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                  Art Wallace wrote:
                  > They are working on the Debian distro for PPC and MIPS on this list.
                  > There are also several sites with currently working Debian installs for
                  > the Kuro out there, such as this:
                  > <http://kuro.dsk.jp>

                  Where are the Debian installs for MIPs on the list? The files section
                  doesn't seem to have it listed. I checked out the kuro.dsk.jp site but
                  haven't sat down to translate it -- is that distro for PPC or MIPs?

                  With the MIPs version of Debian, would a conversion to a full Debian box
                  be the same as on the frontalot WIKI site (just with the different
                  Debian build)?

                  I'm just a little anxious on ripping my LinkStation down and making a
                  really cool mini server. :)
                • Art Wallace
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                    The KuroBox is currently only available with PPC processors so there is
                    no MIPS version of that. The people on this email list are the ones
                    making that happen for the LS.

                    Art Wallace
                    art@...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
                      I uploaded to your FTP site the binaries, portage snapshot, and portage
                      overlay so others can Gentoo their Kuro Boxes. I also uploaded the files
                      that are necessary for WizD into the same directory.

                      Dave Taylor

                      >(Dave Taylor, think you could upload the Gentoo files - and any other files
                      >if you want - into ftp://powerpro.dyndns.org/uploads/kurogentoo )
                      >Thanks!
                    • David Taylor
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
                        ...and also uploaded the system-20041218.tar.tar file

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
                          > I uploaded to your FTP site the binaries, portage snapshot,
                          > and portage
                          > overlay so others can Gentoo their Kuro Boxes. I also
                          > uploaded the files
                          > that are necessary for WizD into the same directory.

                          Much appreciated. I'll leave all those files publicly available in that
                          location for the foreseeable future. Feel free to point anyone needing them
                          to that location. Till we can get another location more reliable (that is
                          just on my home system with a 3M DSL connection 95%+ uptime) I guess that
                          will do.

                          Are there definitions anywhere what is meant by "portage" "WizD" etc? The
                          best I can tell as a definition of portage is the gentoo/linux
                          packages/utils that are compiled for custom chipsets (x86, ppc etc) that can
                          be used on appropriate systems.

                          WiZd being some kind of media server to load on the Kuro after you've
                          installed gentoo?

                          ------------

                          Personally for my kuro, I was able to follow the "manually setup your
                          kurobox" in the old wiki and now have the english translation of the
                          standard Kuro firmware working so that it's just a simple NAS.

                          I've been a bit nervous about changing that setup because:
                          - can't read Japanese (seems like the active development lists on these
                          Kuro's is in Japan) :)
                          - don't want to make a brick (make the Kuro unbootable) trying to load the
                          Linux on the system
                          - If I brick it, how do I fix it(I don't want a $190.00 doorstop)?
                          - not 100% sure about what is needed to install the gentoo system (what
                          items in the ls /dev listing are the HDD vs what is the rom (firmware) drive
                          of the kuro box). How do I identify the difference?
                          - If I put the wrong thing in the firmware flash area, will that stop the
                          kuro from loading?
                          - If installing gentoo, how to convert it from the firmware to the gentoo
                          system
                          - what kernel is used in the gentoo tarball you uploaded?
                          - what's the difference between the 2.4 and 2.6 Linux kernel as it applies
                          to Kuro? How do the different kernels affect installation to the kinds of
                          LS/Kuro boxes.
                          - I actually have a Kuro HG, do I have to do something different in installs
                          between the Kuro and the Kuro HG (need different Linux/software/compiles).
                          - depending on what kernel, can you have either 2.4 or 2.6 kernel and run
                          any ppc package listed in the portage "ppc" list (if above assumptions are
                          correct)?
                          - If someone posts software for the LS/LS1/LS2/Kuro/Kuro HG does xyz
                          software work with all hardware from Buffalo? Only work with some hardware?
                          Works with all hardware, but requires gentoo Linux? Works with all hardware
                          but requires debian Linux? Are there restrictions? Where are the
                          restrictions?

                          ...and with all that I think I've confidently shown my extreme
                          linux-noobism, any and all information is greatly appreciated :)

                          Maybe once we can get a wiki up I can post any/all answers I get to these
                          kinds of simple questions into a Noob FAQ section.

                          Thanks!
                          David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                          Powerpro Resources. Find 'em here - http://powerpro.pcrei.com
                          Funstuff: Tact is for people where aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

                          PS: I'm a 11+ year windows veteran, MCSE, MCSA, know IP and IP routing in
                          and out, setup networks both hardware and software, do full domain
                          configuration for everything from DC, file, db, mail, print etc servers.
                          Domain policy establishment, implementation, GPO configuration, bat and
                          autoit scripter etc etc.
                          Basically windows/x86 hardware/network guru, but linux noob :)
                        • David Taylor
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
                            Wow, lots of questions. Here are some answers.

                            Dave

                            Are there definitions anywhere what is meant by "portage" "WizD" etc? The
                            best I can tell as a definition of portage is the gentoo/linux
                            packages/utils that are compiled for custom chipsets (x86, ppc etc) that can
                            be used on appropriate systems.
                            The portage is a list of applications that will run and install on your
                            Gentoo system. To install a package it is usually as simple as typing
                            'emerge [package]. for example, to install the apache server you would ype
                            'emerge apache2'. These packages are not compiled and will be compiled
                            during the emerge. After installation you might need to edit a config file
                            and set the application to automatically run on startup, pretty easy to do.

                            WiZd being some kind of media server to load on the Kuro after you've
                            installed gentoo?
                            Yes, and it requires the jpeg library and dvd library which I also uploaded
                            to your FTP. I'll send specific instructions for installation as I believe
                            many (including myself) specifically got the Kuro for use as a media server.

                            ------------

                            I've been a bit nervous about changing that setup because:
                            - can't read Japanese (seems like the active development lists on these
                            Kuro's is in Japan) :)
                            There was a good amount of info in English before the Kuro Wiki disappeared
                            a few days ago.

                            - don't want to make a brick (make the Kuro unbootable) trying to load the
                            Linux on the system
                            That won't happen as long as you don't mess with the flash memory. The Kuro
                            was made to be hacked. Worst case, you reboot in EM mode and reinstall the
                            stock firmware.

                            - If I brick it, how do I fix it(I don't want a $190.00 doorstop)?
                            You don't. Again, if you don't try to change the flash, you won't get in
                            trouble.

                            - not 100% sure about what is needed to install the gentoo system (what
                            items in the ls /dev listing are the HDD vs what is the rom (firmware) drive
                            of the kuro box). How do I identify the difference?
                            You don't need to. Just follow the instructions at
                            http://kurobox.crankedup.com/guides/gentoo-b1-install/index.html . The only
                            difference was that I had to reboot the system after step 4 and go back to
                            step 3 , this time skipping step 4 and continuing with the installation. The
                            whole process takes less than an hour.

                            - If I put the wrong thing in the firmware flash area, will that stop the
                            kuro from loading?
                            You won't be putting anything in the flash memory. The Gentoo installation
                            writes all data to the harddrive. If you are really concerned about getting
                            the Kuro back after installing Gentoo you can throw a spare drive (everybody
                            has a spare drive lieing around) into the Kuro before trying to install
                            Gentoo, that way if you have problems all you need to do is reinstall the
                            old drive and you are back where you started. To boot in EM mode for the
                            install you will need to hold the button on the rear of the Kuro for about 6
                            seconds while it boots.

                            - If installing gentoo, how to convert it from the firmware to the gentoo
                            system
                            Already answered 2 questions ago.

                            - what kernel is used in the gentoo tarball you uploaded?
                            2.4

                            - what's the difference between the 2.4 and 2.6 Linux kernel as it applies
                            to Kuro? How do the different kernels affect installation to the kinds of
                            LS/Kuro boxes.
                            Not sure of this one, but my Kuro with Gentoo works great. I have installed
                            WizD, Apache2, Webmin, Samba, and all work so far. By the way, I got the
                            Kuro last weekend and am new to Gentoo. I have some experience with FreeBSD
                            from hacking an Intel Inbusiness Storage Station (also an NAS, but with two
                            drives).

                            - I actually have a Kuro HG, do I have to do something different in installs
                            between the Kuro and the Kuro HG (need different Linux/software/compiles).
                            I don't believe so, but am not sure about this. Give it a shot. Worst case,
                            you reinstall the stock firmware.

                            - depending on what kernel, can you have either 2.4 or 2.6 kernel and run
                            any ppc package listed in the portage "ppc" list (if above assumptions are
                            correct)?
                            I haven't run into any packages (which you would want on the Kuro) that
                            doesn't run under the 2.4 kernel.

                            - If someone posts software for the LS/LS1/LS2/Kuro/Kuro HG does xyz
                            software work with all hardware from Buffalo? Only work with some hardware?
                            Works with all hardware, but requires gentoo Linux? Works with all hardware
                            but requires debian Linux? Are there restrictions? Where are the
                            restrictions?
                            Software for the PPC will run on the Kuro with Gentoo. The only caveat being
                            that if it was setup for the LS1 some of the file locations may (will) be
                            different and you will need to change some paths/locations. This is not too
                            difficult. If you have any experience with MsDos (I know, MsDos isn't a unix
                            OS) you should be able to pick up Linux pretty easily. I suggest you buy a
                            book on Gentoo (Gentoo for Dummies if it exists). If you can't find a book
                            on Gentoo, Get one on Linux and make sure it has a few chapters on the BASH
                            shell.

                            ...and with all that I think I've confidently shown my extreme
                            linux-noobism, any and all information is greatly appreciated :)
                            Just jump right in. This device is specifically made for experimenting. I'm
                            sure you will make some mistakes (I have), but there are gobs of information
                            to help. This group is very active. Hopefully the Kuro group will be active
                            too, and the Gentoo wiki is invaluable.

                            Maybe once we can get a wiki up I can post any/all answers I get to these
                            kinds of simple questions into a Noob FAQ section.
                            I was thinking of running one on a Kuro Box. I believe the linkstation wiki
                            is run on a debianized linkstation.It only makes sense that the Kuro wiki
                            should be run on a Gentooified Kuro.
                          • Brian Waite
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
                              Kurobox.com is back.
                              The hosting service let the domain expire. They put up the garbage page. It
                              has been fixed and hopefully the move will happen soon and we won't have
                              these issues again :)

                              Thanks
                              Brian