Dead LS1?

  • Tom Leon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
      Hello there,

      Had a bad storm rip through my neck of the woods this past weekend, and it appears to have knocked my LS1 out of commission. When I boot the unit, the power light blinks for a while, but there is no light on the Link/Act, then after a short bit the Power light will go solid. Per the Buffalo folks, I tried holding the reset button on the back of my unit for 30 seconds, which did no good, and I left the unit unplugged for a day, which did nothing either.

      It seems to me that one of two things has happened: 1) the network interface got fried or 2) the whole unit was toasted.

      I really don't want to have to RMA the unit, as I don't have all of the data on the unit backed up (most, but not all, darn my hide). So my question is this: If it is the network interface, it is possible to attach a USB network adapter to the unit, and have it recognized and work?

      Thanks in advance.

      -Tom
    • downlalaway
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2005
        Sounds like it messed the boot from disc and only does the flash
        memory part - does the power light blink 6 times?
        Odd that the link light doesn't come up, I think - maybe a setting's
        wrong with the router cross-overswitch. Plug it directly into your PC
        if necessary (possibly switching the switch then). Think you have to
        hold the red button at power up for initialising -maybe try that first.
        You can't use a usb link.

        If booting from memory/emergency mode it will have initialised to
        default settings - run the buffalo IP search utility - if you can find
        the LS somehow all is not lost.
        The install appropriate firmware of your choice (make sure is v1.4x
        for an LS1 or v2.xx for a LS2 otherwise it will be very unhappy.
        Of course this assumes no lasting disk errors/crashes.

        It should do the install without altering the data area, although may
        not find the shaes you made before. You may have to access through
        telnet (and some linux commands to pull the data off)