Re: ( /dev/ram0 out of space..) logrotate?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
      > <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
      > > Frenchy, thank you for your answer. Let's see if we can settle this.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
      > > > I am under the impression that Fw1.x has logrotate implemented and
      > > > working.
      > > > Look at your cron jobs
      > >
      > > You mean cron for root? Here is the (poor) result:
      > > root@SERVER:~# crontab -l
      > > 15 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
      > >

      > Also have a look in /etc/cron.d/
      >
      > On the LSII there is:
      > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 719 Feb 2 00:04 ntpdate
      > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1580 Dec 20 2004 chk_proc.sh
      > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 195 Dec 20 2004 logrotate

      Thanks Al, here is what I get:
      root@SERVER:~# ls -l /etc/cron.d
      total 3
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1785 Jul 23 2004 calib_time.sh
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 719 May 15 2004 ntpdate

      Shall I edit the file accordingly? Any LS1-Owners around to tell me
      what to do? Or should I update to fw1.47 and this will resolve the
      issue, anyway?

      best,
      h.
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
        <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
        > > <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
        > > > Frenchy, thank you for your answer. Let's see if we can settle this.
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "

        > > Also have a look in /etc/cron.d/
        > >
        > > On the LSII there is:
        > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 719 Feb 2 00:04 ntpdate
        > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1580 Dec 20 2004 chk_proc.sh
        > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 195 Dec 20 2004 logrotate
        > >

        > Thanks Al, here is what I get:
        > root@SERVER:~# ls -l /etc/cron.d
        > total 3
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1785 Jul 23 2004 calib_time.sh
        > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 719 May 15 2004 ntpdate
        >
        > Shall I edit the file accordingly?

        One more thing: logrotate alone does not seem to work. I get the same
        results as posted in #2785 (just saw this).

        > Any LS1-Owners around to tell me
        > what to do? Or should I update to fw1.47 and this will resolve the
        > issue, anyway?

        Will it?

        Best,
        h.
      • chano22000
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
          Hi haberschnasel,

          I have investigated since my post #2785.

          A look into the /usr/sbin/logrotate binary shows that the status
          file needed for this (old) version of logrotate (3.5.7) to work is
          located : /var/lib/logrotate/status which is a different place/name
          from everything you may read in any logrotate documentation.

          Could you do the following (I have not my LS with me) :

          1)Create an empty status file:
          mkdir /var/lib/logrotate
          touch /var/lib/logrotate/status

          2)There is a listed bug with older versions of logrotate when the
          status file is empty. In order to initialize it, force a logrotate
          in debug mode (which will not logrotate the files) :
          /usr/sbin/logrotate -dvf /etc/logrotate.conf
          You should now get statements where files need to be rotated.

          Can you confirm that it works (force the first rotation with
          logrotate -vf) and you now have a daily rotation over a period of 7
          days (you should see .gz files in your /var/log directory) ?

          Thanks.

          Chano22000

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel" wrote:

          > One more thing: logrotate alone does not seem to work. I get the
          same
          > results as posted in #2785 (just saw this).

        • Stephen Jungels
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
            Hello All,

            Thanks for your detective work, Chano22000.  I was also having a problem with log rotation not running so I trried following your instructions, except I skipped step 1 to see if it was really necessary.  Running the logrotate command turns out to create /var/lib/logrotate/status.

            Everything seemed to work when I ran the log rotate manually, so I took a look at the system crontab (/etc/crontab), which has the following line

              05 4   * * *   root    /etc/cron.d/logrotate

            I shut my linkstation off at night, so I changed this to

              05 14   * * *   root    /etc/cron.d/logrotate

            I also added a call to the system logger to /etc/cron.d/logrotate and I am waiting to see if the job runs successfully

            Haberschnassel, perhaps this is your problem?

            Regards,

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
              Dear Chano22000 and Stephen,

              thank you for your posts, this at least explains to me why things were
              wrong. Since I do not know much about Linux, I had to find a less
              sophisticated solution. Here is what I did: I copied the log directory
              to my user share "comp", nulled the existing logfiles (see the cat
              lines of the script below) and quickly set up the following script to
              run daily (per crontab) right after startup boot time in the morning:

              more /var/log/cron >> /mnt/comp/log/cron
              more /var/log/linkstation.log >> /mnt/comp/log/linkstation.log
              more /var/log/log.nmbd >> /mnt/comp/log/log.nmbd
              more /var/log/log.smbd >> /mnt/comp/log/log.smbd
              more /var/log/messages >> /mnt/comp/log/messages
              more /var/log/netatalk.log >> /mnt/comp/log/netatalk.log
              more /var/log/scoreboardfile >> /mnt/comp/log/scoreboardfile
              more /var/log/thttpd.log >> /mnt/comp/log/thttpd.log
              more /var/log/xferlog >> /mnt/comp/log/xferlog
              more /var/log/samba/samba.log >> /mnt/comp/log/samba/samba.log
              more /var/log/samba/samba.log.old >> /mnt/comp/log/samba/samba.log.old
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/cron
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/linkstation.log
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/log.nmbd
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/log.smbd
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/messages
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/netatalk.log
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/scoreboardfile
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/thttpd.log
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/xferlog
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/samba/samba.log
              cat /dev/null >/var/log/samba/samba.log.old

              This appends all the new log information to the resp. hdd files on my
              data share and clears the ram logs afterwards. This makes the (ram
              mounted) logfiles as small as possible and keeps all log data on the
              user share.
              This is a very crude solution, but it seems to works.

              Best, h.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Jungels"
              <stephen@j...> wrote:
              > Hello All,
              >
              > Thanks for your detective work, Chano22000. I was also having a problem
              > with log rotation not running so I trried following your instructions,
              > except I skipped step 1 to see if it was really necessary. Running the
              > logrotate command turns out to create /var/lib/logrotate/status.
              >
              > Everything seemed to work when I ran the log rotate manually, so I
              took a
              > look at the system crontab (/etc/crontab), which has the following line
              >
              > 05 4 * * * root /etc/cron.d/logrotate
              >
              > I shut my linkstation off at night, so I changed this to
              >
              > 05 14 * * * root /etc/cron.d/logrotate
              >
              > I also added a call to the system logger to /etc/cron.d/logrotate
              and I am
              > waiting to see if the job runs successfully
              >
              > Haberschnassel, perhaps this is your problem?
              >

              > Regards,
              >
              > Stephen

              logrotate?

              > Hi haberschnasel,
              >
              > I have investigated since my post #2785.
              >
              > A look into the /usr/sbin/logrotate binary shows that the status
              > file needed for this (old) version of logrotate (3.5.7) to work is
              > located : /var/lib/logrotate/status which is a different place/name
              > from everything you may read in any logrotate documentation.
              >
              > Could you do the following (I have not my LS with me) :
              >
              > 1)Create an empty status file:
              > mkdir /var/lib/logrotate
              > touch /var/lib/logrotate/status
              >
              > 2)There is a listed bug with older versions of logrotate when the
              > status file is empty. In order to initialize it, force a logrotate
              > in debug mode (which will not logrotate the files) :
              > /usr/sbin/logrotate -dvf /etc/logrotate.conf
              > You should now get statements where files need to be rotated.
              >
              > Can you confirm that it works (force the first rotation with
              > logrotate -vf) and you now have a daily rotation over a period of 7
              > days (you should see .gz files in your /var/log directory) ?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Chano22000
              >

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel" wrote:
              >

              > > One more thing: logrotate alone does not seem to work. I get the
              > same
              > > results as posted in #2785 (just saw this).

              > Service.

              > --
            • Stephen Jungels
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9, 2005
                Just to follow up on my own post, changing the logrotate cron job to run during the day solved my problem: I can see that my log files are being properly rotated now.

                --Stephen

                I have investigated since my post #2785.

                A look into the /usr/sbin/logrotate binary shows that the status
                file needed for this (old) version of logrotate (3.5.7) to work is
                located : /var/lib/logrotate/status which is a different place/name
                from everything you may read in any logrotate documentation.

                Could you do the following (I have not my LS with me) :

                1)Create an empty status file:
                     mkdir /var/lib/logrotate
                     touch /var/lib/logrotate/status

                2)There is a listed bug with older versions of logrotate when the
                status file is empty. In order to initialize it, force a logrotate
                in debug mode (which will not logrotate the files) :
                     /usr/sbin/logrotate -dvf /etc/logrotate.conf
                You should now get statements where files need to be rotated.

                Can you confirm that it works (force the first rotation with
                logrotate -vf) and you now have a daily rotation over a period of 7
                days (you should see .gz files in your /var/log directory) ?

                Thanks.

                Chano22000

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"  wrote:

                > One more thing: logrotate alone does not seem to work. I get the
                same
                > results as posted in #2785 (just saw this).

              • prb0x
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 22, 2005
                  No that thread is discussing the Debian release roadmap.
                  I'm having the same problem with mipseltools.

                  There are only two references to "unary" in the forum:
                  http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12&page=0#8
                  and:
                  http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12&page=0#6
                  Of which the second is a quote from the first.

                  I don't see much of a 'discussion' there.

                  Anyone got a fix for this problem?

                  Cheers,
                  Al

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                  <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                  > Please direct questions about this over to the LinkStationWiki. There
                  > already is a thread discussing this.

                  http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Bridgman"
                  > <barry@b...> wrote:
                  > > HI All
                  > >
                  > > Having problems installing the Mipseltools. I have unpacked the
                  tar file
                  > > into the root directory. When I run the sh script I get the following
                  > > error "./mipsel-tools-install.sh: [: =: unary operator expected"
                  after
                  > > I type y to continue !!!
                  > >
                  > > Anyone got any ideas ?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Barry
                  > >

                  > > --
                  01/07/2005
                • wedgemusic
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 22, 2005
                    The original website hasn't been in use for a few weeks now. Ask your
                    question over at the new website - http://linkstationwiki.org/

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                    > No that thread is discussing the Debian release roadmap.
                    > I'm having the same problem with mipseltools.
                    >
                    > There are only two references to "unary" in the forum:

                    http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12&page=0#8
                    > and:

                    http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12&page=0#6
                    > Of which the second is a quote from the first.
                    >
                    > I don't see much of a 'discussion' there.
                    >
                    > Anyone got a fix for this problem?
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Al

                    > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                    > > Please direct questions about this over to the LinkStationWiki. There
                    > > already is a thread discussing this.

                    http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Bridgman"
                    > > <barry@b...> wrote:
                    > > > HI All
                    > > >
                    > > > Having problems installing the Mipseltools. I have unpacked the
                    > tar file
                    > > > into the root directory. When I run the sh script I get the
                    following
                    > > > error "./mipsel-tools-install.sh: [: =: unary operator expected"
                    > after
                    > > > I type y to continue !!!
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone got any ideas ?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks
                    > > >
                    > > > Barry
                    > > >

                    > > > --
                    > 01/07/2005
                  • prb0x
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 22, 2005
                      Well I'm now stripping down my LSII after having gone wrong somewhere
                      in my install of Debian (flashing power light for 5 minutes then the
                      diag light) looks like something is taking up the boot process. I did
                      do a fsck of /dev/hda3 before swapping it but I think I should have
                      done it as /dev/hda1 after swapping it.

                      My solution was just to remove the question sections from your nice
                      script making it non interactive.

                      Thanks for the response though.

                      All the best,