LS speed?

  • mikynog
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
      Is the LS fast with linux on it? I'm unpacking the webmin stuff as
      outlined in the Wiki and am finding that this part is much slower than
      the other parts. It isn't showing a change on the display so I tried
      logging into another session and it wasn't letting me in a while ago,
      but now it is; but it's very slow to respond.

      I know linux to be a spritely multi-threaded environment so I'm
      surprised that it would be this "slow".

      I'll wait it out and see how it goes.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikynog" <mikynog@y...>
        wrote:

        > Is the LS fast with linux on it?

        > I'm unpacking the webmin stuff as outlined in the Wiki and am
        > finding that this part is much slower than the other parts. It
        > isn't showing a change on the display so I tried logging into
        > another session and it wasn't letting me in a while ago, but now
        > it is; but it's very slow to respond.

        The debian packaging system, although IMHO the best Linux has to
        offer, is slow and ineffecient on any computer. All the packaging
        information is stored in a single very large linear text file that
        it has to parse over and over again. With the huge size of Sarge,
        this takes awhile. It normally takes longer for me to "unpack" and
        "setup" a package than it takes to download it from Debian on *any*
        of my computers. This does say something for the bandwidth of the
        Debian repositories: It can max out my 3Mbs cable connection every
        time. It is scary how fast I can retrieve 100 MBs of updates from
        them. In comparison, downloading updates for my Slackware-Linux
        computer takes over 20 times longer.

        > I know linux to be a spritely multi-threaded environment so I'm
        > surprised that it would be this "slow".

        For example, the LS Wiki runs on a LS. It seems to me to be quite
        responsive, even when Wedgemusic is doing who knows what at the same
        time on it.

        It's only a 200Mhz 603E (PPC model) with 64 Megs of RAM so don't
        expect the speed of a 2-Ghz+ machine, but for what it is I feel it
        does very well.

        > I'll wait it out and see how it goes.

        Webmin seems more sluggish than it should be to me as well. I an
        serve large static web pages containing lots of pictures (~100) much
        faster. I only recently installed Webmin, and so far I am not real
        happy with it, but then I *am* at home with logging in and
        configuring things myself.
      • prb0x
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005

          > Webmin seems more sluggish than it should be to me as well. I an
          > serve large static web pages containing lots of pictures (~100) much
          > faster. I only recently installed Webmin, and so far I am not real
          > happy with it, but then I *am* at home with logging in and
          > configuring things myself.

          Webmin has it's own webserver which is known to be slow. There are
          details on their website to get it to run with Apache. I don't think
          it'd be too much of a problem to run it with thttpd as perl scripts are
          already running. You would probably have to install webmin to one of
          the cgi-bin directories unless you were going to change execute
          permission within thttpd.

          Cheers,
          Al
        • downlalaway
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
            > >
            > > Webmin seems more sluggish than it should be to me as well. I an
            > > serve large static web pages containing lots of pictures (~100) much
            > > faster. I only recently installed Webmin, and so far I am not real
            > > happy with it, but then I *am* at home with logging in and
            > > configuring things myself.
            >
            > Webmin has it's own webserver which is known to be slow. There are
            > details on their website to get it to run with Apache. I don't think
            > it'd be too much of a problem to run it with thttpd as perl scripts are
            > already running. You would probably have to install webmin to one of
            > the cgi-bin directories unless you were going to change execute
            > permission within thttpd.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Al
            Webmin is slow, but it does come up early in the boot - had a problem
            recently where apache was crashing and shutting it down before
            finishing the boot. Without ssh access (not booted so blocked out) it
            was the best way to switch off services to start up and sort the
            problem. It might be better away from apache.