Slimserver On Ver 2 Linkstation

  • antony2047
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3 2:17 AM
      I have read with great interest the atricle on how to install
      slimserver on to the linkstation, and this is the way I want to go.
      If
      I do get a Linkstation and it has a MIPS processor and ver 2
      software,
      will there be any way that I will be able to install slimserver.

      My knowledge of Linux is zero, and I wanted to see if it was possible
      before I got the Linkstation.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3 8:42 AM
        It's quite simple if you do the following:

        1.) Install the custom 2.05 firmware from the LinkStationWiki. This
        will give you telnet and root access.
        2.) Install the Mipsel tools package from the LinkStationWiki. This
        will give you Perl 5.8.4.
        3.) Install SlimServer per its instructions.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "antony2047"

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3 11:45 AM
          Thanks for that.

          Sorry if I sound thick, but after I have installed the custom
          firmware and then installed Mipsel tools (how do I install Mipsel),
          do I just follow the instructions here

          http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

          to install Slimserver?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3 12:00 PM
            Don't be concerned; we're all here to help each other :)

            Mipsel is the architecture of the LinkStation II while PPC is the
            architecture of the LinkStation I. Software for the 2 units isn't
            interchangable so we must offer 2 different tools packages, 1 for the
            MIPS/Mipsel LinkStation and 1 for the PPC LinkStation. Yes, once you
            have installed the custom firmware and tools you can follow the
            instructions on fieldnetworks.com. I'm working on an auto-installation
            script for SlimServer on the LinkStation but it won't be available for
            a little bit as I still have many other projects to complete first.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4 2:50 AM
              Thanks again for that. Looks like I will now be getting a
              linkstation!!

              Just one other thing. I have downloaded the 2.05 custom firmware,
              but don't seam to be able to get the Mipsel tools. Are there any
              other links I can can load from?

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4 7:49 AM
                I'm working on a bug in the mipsel tools package. It will be available
                again soon.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4 8:09 AM
                  Thanks.

                  Once I get my Linkstation, if I need more help I now know where to
                  ask!!!

                  <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                  > I'm working on a bug in the mipsel tools package. It will be
                  available
                  > again soon.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "antony2047"
                  > <t.sparkes@b...> wrote:
                  > > Thanks again for that. Looks like I will now be getting a
                  > > linkstation!!
                  > >
                  > > Just one other thing. I have downloaded the 2.05 custom
                  firmware,
                  > > but don't seam to be able to get the Mipsel tools. Are there any
                  > > other links I can can load from?
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                  > > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                  > > > Don't be concerned; we're all here to help each other :)
                  > > >
                  > > > Mipsel is the architecture of the LinkStation II while PPC is
                  the
                  > > > architecture of the LinkStation I. Software for the 2 units
                  isn't
                  > > > interchangable so we must offer 2 different tools packages, 1
                  for
                  > > the
                  > > > MIPS/Mipsel LinkStation and 1 for the PPC LinkStation. Yes,
                  once
                  > > you
                  > > > have installed the custom firmware and tools you can follow the
                  > > > instructions on fieldnetworks.com. I'm working on an auto-
                  > > installation
                  > > > script for SlimServer on the LinkStation but it won't be
                  available
                  > > for
                  > > > a little bit as I still have many other projects to complete
                  > > first.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "antony2047"

                  > > Mipsel),

                  LinkStationWiki.
                  > > This
                  LinkStationWiki.
                  > > This

                  > > install
                  > > slimserver.

                • anthonyinnyc
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5 12:23 PM
                    I have a quick question. It seems necessary to open the linkstation in
                    order to install slimserver. based on the pdf found here...

                    http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/Hackin
                    g%20Linkstation%20II.pdf

                    Am I correctly interpetting the documentation?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5 12:31 PM
                      No, it isn't necessary to open the LinkStation (I or II) to install
                      SlimServer. You will need to install custom firmware which adds telnet
                      and SSH capabilities. You can either build your own per the
                      LinkStation II Hacking PDF or you can download a prepackaged version.
                      See http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/MipselCustomFirmware
                      for prepackeged custom firmware and installation instructions.

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "anthonyinnyc"
                      <Anthony@D...> wrote:
                      > I have a quick question. It seems necessary to open the linkstation in
                      > order to install slimserver. based on the pdf found here...
                      >
                      > http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/Hackin
                      > g%20Linkstation%20II.pdf
                      >
                      > Am I correctly interpetting the documentation?

                      > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                      > > Don't be concerned; we're all here to help each other :)
                      > >
                      > > Mipsel is the architecture of the LinkStation II while PPC is the
                      > > architecture of the LinkStation I. Software for the 2 units isn't
                      > > interchangable so we must offer 2 different tools packages, 1 for
                      > the
                      > > MIPS/Mipsel LinkStation and 1 for the PPC LinkStation. Yes, once you
                      > > have installed the custom firmware and tools you can follow the
                      > > instructions on fieldnetworks.com. I'm working on an
                      > auto-installation
                      > > script for SlimServer on the LinkStation but it won't be available
                      > for
                      > > a little bit as I still have many other projects to complete first.
                      > >
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "antony2047"
                    • Brian Cowan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5 1:21 PM
                        I don't have broadband @ home yet ($60/month is FAR too much to give
                        ComCast), and my office blocks bittorrent traffic because too many
                        people were downloading video via bittorrent. (OK, me too, but it wasn't
                        porn, it was Enterprise episodes I missed! I'm no perv, just a geek.)
                        Anyway, I the firmware link sites I've seen are all BT, and thus NG for
                        me. Can someone point me to a non BT link set for the 1.47 prepackaged
                        firmware?

                        Thanks!
                      • wedgemusic
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 5 1:35 PM
                          I created fw_up147_mod-v3 and run the website which it is available
                          from. The website currently is hosted on my home broadband connection
                          so I'm limited to about 50k outgoing total, of which I've allocated
                          30k outgoing for file downloads. Due to these limited resources I'm
                          forced to offer torrents or nothing at all. I can offer you a direct
                          donwload link but you will be limited to 5k. I wish I can offer more
                          but I still have my personal bandwidth needs. Contact me via email
                          (available at http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/AboutMe) for
                          a link.

                          For the reason listed above (plus some others) I'm trying to raise
                          enough money for professional hosting. Once we have enough money for
                          professional hosting I will be able to offer direct downloads, which
                          should be easier and faster. See the LinkStationWiki frontpage for
                          more information:
                          http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/LinkStationWiki

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Brian Cowan <brcowan@g...>
                          wrote:
                          > I don't have broadband @ home yet ($60/month is FAR too much to give
                          > ComCast), and my office blocks bittorrent traffic because too many
                          > people were downloading video via bittorrent. (OK, me too, but it
                          wasn't
                          > porn, it was Enterprise episodes I missed! I'm no perv, just a geek.)
                          > Anyway, I the firmware link sites I've seen are all BT, and thus NG for
                          > me. Can someone point me to a non BT link set for the 1.47 prepackaged
                          > firmware?
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                        • antony2047
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 28 8:06 AM
                            Well I've gone and got a LS2 and want to get the Slimserver onto it.

                            I have flashed the Firmware to 2.05 with Telnet access, but thats
                            about as far as I have got. When I telnet to the LS I get "bash-
                            2.05a#"

                            I have some questions that I hope someone maybe able to help me
                            with. I have looked on the wiki.

                            Do I need to do anything about changing the password or changing so
                            I get the login when I telnet?

                            Is it just a case of installing Mipsel Tool V3, Slimserver and then
                            the MIPSelSlimServerModules? If so how and where are they installed?
                            All from the wiki.

                            Do I still need to the follow the guide by Mark D Field for
                            installing Slimserver?

                            Like I said my knowledge of Linux is zero so any help would be great.