Re: problems on the first steps to Debian

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikynog" <mikynog@y...>
      wrote:

      > The switch doles out IP addresses (DHCP). The thing that was odd
      > was that the LS wasn't showing up as a device on the switch, which
      > I saw to mean that the LS didn't get an IP address. Is this
      > remedied by editing these files? Or did I miss something?

      Yes, the default network config on that Debian system (unless
      someone has changed it) are these static IP settings:

      IP address: 192.168.0.100
      Gateway: 192.168.0.1
      DNS: 192.168.0.1

      Your DHCP server didn't register anything because the LS never asked
      the DHCP server for anything.

      I don't think that a DHCP client works on this system because of an
      imcompatibility with the options compiled into the kernel. At least
      I can't get it to work on mine. I never tried other DHCP clients
      like "pump" however.

      So to change the network config of the LS you have to
      edit /etc/network/interfaces. You will also need to
      edit /etc/resolve (for DNS settings), and /etc/hosts.allow
      & /etc/hosts.deny to allow you to log into it.

      > I don't know how you stay on top of these posts and keep your day
      > jobs but much thanks :).

      Well, work is a little slow right now, so you are in luck.

      > I guess instructions for "how to edit" the settings need to be
      > added too.

      That depends on what you used to put the Debian on the LS in the
      first place. If it was a Linux/Unix type system, use what ever
      plain text editor that might be on it that you know how to use.
      They all usually at least have "vi", but it isn't at all new-user
      friendly. If you used something full featured like a Knoppix CDROM,
      then you can use "kwrite", "kate", "kedit", "gedit", etc. If you
      can get into your LS by changing network settings on a computer to
      be compatible with it, you can edit them from within you LS, it only
      has "vi" but you can then ftp the "nano" editor that I put in the
      "files" section of this group if you need something easier to figure
      out.

      Now you know why I am very excited about the install procedure that
      balimbabullabe is working on. It should be much less convoluted if
      he ever gets the thing to boot.

      How did you get Debian on your LS? I guess I (or someone)
      could/should do a revised procedure for the LS-1 that does it using
      balimbabullabe's partition swapper program, but not debootstrap
      (like his installer will use) that still uses the Japanese Debian
      instead. With this procedure, you would copy the Japanese tarball
      over to the share directory using the Windows sharing-server
      function of the LS, then telnet into it and unpack it to the root
      of /mnt. Then copy over the /lib/modules directory to /mnt, then
      fix up your network setting, and host.allow stuff, then run the
      partition swapper program and reboot. (Notice the drive never left
      the LS!), I was just hoping we would have balimbabullabe's version
      by now because the Japanese Debian uses the ancient "Woody" Debian,
      which you then normally would want to upgrade to "Sarge" (which can
      be done with a simple "apt-get dist-upgrade"), which will pretty
      much replace the whole system with the current Debian.
    • mikynog
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
        Thanks to all your help I've passed the Debian installation!
        Answering your questions:

        - I followed the Wiki as best as I could, including the opening up
        the case steps
        - I did a static IP assignment as you suggested and this worked
        - For editing I used emacs which comes on Knoppix (invoked from
        command line)

        A couple of notes on the Wiki steps:

        1. after the reboot one has to "su" back in to do a "deluser"
        2. it looks like the command should be "passwd <username>" instead of
        "passwd <yournewpassword>"

        Now on to the rest of the steps. Is a 2G main partition enough for
        the OS?

        Thanks again!

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
          wrote:

          > Thanks to all your help I've passed the Debian installation!
          > Answering your questions:
          >
          > - I followed the Wiki as best as I could, including the opening
          > up the case steps
          > - I did a static IP assignment as you suggested and this worked
          > - For editing I used emacs which comes on Knoppix (invoked from
          > command line)

          Good. There are probaby 2 dozen editors on Knoppix that would work.
          I just get the new Knoppix bootable DVD via bittorrent on my LS. (I
          haven't burned it yet) I claims to have about 15,000 installed
          applications on it! (if I read the claims correctly). Imagine how
          populated the WM menus must be?

          > A couple of notes on the Wiki steps:
          >
          > 1. after the reboot one has to "su" back in to do a "deluser"
          > 2. it looks like the command should be "passwd <username>" instead
          > of "passwd <yournewpassword>"

          Hopefully Wedgemusic can make these corrections.

          > Now on to the rest of the steps. Is a 2G main partition enough
          > for the OS?

          I have lots of stuff installed on mine and yet I've only used 884
          Megs. I do make extensive use of /dev/hda3 for bulk storage of
          things (like my Knoppix DVD image, various LS OS images, Web page
          contents, public FTP area, etc.)

          > Thanks again!

          Good to see yet another join the ranks of having a real "manageable"
          OS installed on their Linkstation.
        • downlalaway
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
            I also went through them when I did it -must have missed a few typos too!
            I've too got unfeasible amounts of stuff on /dev/hda1 including
            mailservers, webmail, printer drivers, logging/graphing stuff
            (cacti/rrdtool) and haven't got to 1Gb.
            So guessing that 2G will be all you ever need (unless you wanted to
            run KDE/gnome -which might be a bit slow...)