Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: problems on the first steps to Debian

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
      If you didn't change the IP address like the how-to states then IP address
      should be set to 192.168.0.100. So long as your DHCP server is serving up
      IPs on the 192.168.0 network you should be fine so long as 192.168.0.100 is
      not already being assigned to another IP device. If your network is not set
      to 192.168.0 you can ether remove the drive and change it per the how-to or
      change a workstation on your network to 192.168.0.10, telnet into the LS @
      192.168.0.100 and then change the LS IP per the how-to.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikynog" <mikynog@y...>
        wrote:

        > The switch doles out IP addresses (DHCP). The thing that was odd
        > was that the LS wasn't showing up as a device on the switch, which
        > I saw to mean that the LS didn't get an IP address. Is this
        > remedied by editing these files? Or did I miss something?

        Yes, the default network config on that Debian system (unless
        someone has changed it) are these static IP settings:

        IP address: 192.168.0.100
        Gateway: 192.168.0.1
        DNS: 192.168.0.1

        Your DHCP server didn't register anything because the LS never asked
        the DHCP server for anything.

        I don't think that a DHCP client works on this system because of an
        imcompatibility with the options compiled into the kernel. At least
        I can't get it to work on mine. I never tried other DHCP clients
        like "pump" however.

        So to change the network config of the LS you have to
        edit /etc/network/interfaces. You will also need to
        edit /etc/resolve (for DNS settings), and /etc/hosts.allow
        & /etc/hosts.deny to allow you to log into it.

        > I don't know how you stay on top of these posts and keep your day
        > jobs but much thanks :).

        Well, work is a little slow right now, so you are in luck.

        > I guess instructions for "how to edit" the settings need to be
        > added too.

        That depends on what you used to put the Debian on the LS in the
        first place. If it was a Linux/Unix type system, use what ever
        plain text editor that might be on it that you know how to use.
        They all usually at least have "vi", but it isn't at all new-user
        friendly. If you used something full featured like a Knoppix CDROM,
        then you can use "kwrite", "kate", "kedit", "gedit", etc. If you
        can get into your LS by changing network settings on a computer to
        be compatible with it, you can edit them from within you LS, it only
        has "vi" but you can then ftp the "nano" editor that I put in the
        "files" section of this group if you need something easier to figure
        out.

        Now you know why I am very excited about the install procedure that
        balimbabullabe is working on. It should be much less convoluted if
        he ever gets the thing to boot.

        How did you get Debian on your LS? I guess I (or someone)
        could/should do a revised procedure for the LS-1 that does it using
        balimbabullabe's partition swapper program, but not debootstrap
        (like his installer will use) that still uses the Japanese Debian
        instead. With this procedure, you would copy the Japanese tarball
        over to the share directory using the Windows sharing-server
        function of the LS, then telnet into it and unpack it to the root
        of /mnt. Then copy over the /lib/modules directory to /mnt, then
        fix up your network setting, and host.allow stuff, then run the
        partition swapper program and reboot. (Notice the drive never left
        the LS!), I was just hoping we would have balimbabullabe's version
        by now because the Japanese Debian uses the ancient "Woody" Debian,
        which you then normally would want to upgrade to "Sarge" (which can
        be done with a simple "apt-get dist-upgrade"), which will pretty
        much replace the whole system with the current Debian.
      • mikynog
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thanks to all your help I've passed the Debian installation!
          Answering your questions:

          - I followed the Wiki as best as I could, including the opening up
          the case steps
          - I did a static IP assignment as you suggested and this worked
          - For editing I used emacs which comes on Knoppix (invoked from
          command line)

          A couple of notes on the Wiki steps:

          1. after the reboot one has to "su" back in to do a "deluser"
          2. it looks like the command should be "passwd <username>" instead of
          "passwd <yournewpassword>"

          Now on to the rest of the steps. Is a 2G main partition enough for
          the OS?

          Thanks again!

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
            wrote:

            > Thanks to all your help I've passed the Debian installation!
            > Answering your questions:
            >
            > - I followed the Wiki as best as I could, including the opening
            > up the case steps
            > - I did a static IP assignment as you suggested and this worked
            > - For editing I used emacs which comes on Knoppix (invoked from
            > command line)

            Good. There are probaby 2 dozen editors on Knoppix that would work.
            I just get the new Knoppix bootable DVD via bittorrent on my LS. (I
            haven't burned it yet) I claims to have about 15,000 installed
            applications on it! (if I read the claims correctly). Imagine how
            populated the WM menus must be?

            > A couple of notes on the Wiki steps:
            >
            > 1. after the reboot one has to "su" back in to do a "deluser"
            > 2. it looks like the command should be "passwd <username>" instead
            > of "passwd <yournewpassword>"

            Hopefully Wedgemusic can make these corrections.

            > Now on to the rest of the steps. Is a 2G main partition enough
            > for the OS?

            I have lots of stuff installed on mine and yet I've only used 884
            Megs. I do make extensive use of /dev/hda3 for bulk storage of
            things (like my Knoppix DVD image, various LS OS images, Web page
            contents, public FTP area, etc.)

            > Thanks again!

            Good to see yet another join the ranks of having a real "manageable"
            OS installed on their Linkstation.
          • downlalaway
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
              I also went through them when I did it -must have missed a few typos too!
              I've too got unfeasible amounts of stuff on /dev/hda1 including
              mailservers, webmail, printer drivers, logging/graphing stuff
              (cacti/rrdtool) and haven't got to 1Gb.
              So guessing that 2G will be all you ever need (unless you wanted to
              run KDE/gnome -which might be a bit slow...)