Re: BitTorrent Daemon

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
      Darn, you beat me to it! Screen is the easiest way to run programs in
      the background. Just add "screen" before the program you wish to run.
      To resume the program use the command "screen -r". I am working on
      putting together a screen package for the PPC LinkStation. I'll post
      it on the LinkStationWiki when I'm done.

      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
      > There is the utility called "screen" which lets you "background" an
      > entire shell (telnet) session, as well as have multiple sessions
      > running, then be able to reconnect to them later. Someone got it
      > working on the original LS1 a while back. I have it on my
      > Debianized one (but hardly used it because I use a graphical VNC
      > desktop instead).
      >
      > If you are interested in it and can't get it going, let me know and
      > I might be able to come up with a version that will run for you If
      > you have an LS-1. For an LS-2 you might need to hunt down an LS-2
      > owner to test it.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "superg00fy"
      > <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi, I've installed the BitTorrent package from the wiki, but I
      > > haven't found a way to make my download to stay in background!
      >
      > > There is also an utility to monitor all the downloads always
      > > written in Python, but that make use of a simple GUI, so it
      > > must be changed to work in text-mode/web.
      >
      > > Unfortunately it was made for gentoo, ... So I just wanted to know
      > > if anyone already has tryed it and adapted to the linkstation
      >
      > Also I think some people are doing it this way, at least running
      > some sort of bittorrent client that runs in the background like
      > this. As far a Python, it is an "interpreted" lanquage. So this
      > means you don't need to worry about what OS it was "compiled" for or
      > any thing like that, you "just" have to get the Python interpreter
      > installed and running.
      >
      > Someone should to a HowTo on running bittorrent in the background.
      > I would be interested because it seems cleaner to me than running it
      > in a background-able shell or VNC environment.
    • superg00fy
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
        Thanks for reply! This "screen" seems to be good, but I don't think
        could make it possible to monitor all the instances of bittorrent, and
        you have to telnet everytime you want to add a download/monitor the
        status.
        The daemon I've seen instead allow you to always monitor with a simple
        utility what you are downloading, and also allow an easy way to add
        new downloads: just putting .torrent files in a folder! So, can't we
        work on this to make it run on linkstation?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
        <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > Darn, you beat me to it! Screen is the easiest way to run programs in
        > the background. Just add "screen" before the program you wish to run.
        > To resume the program use the command "screen -r". I am working on
        > putting together a screen package for the PPC LinkStation. I'll post
        > it on the LinkStationWiki when I'm done.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
          You might want to look into a different client for your purposes.
          MLDonkey seems quite popular (although I've never used it) and comes
          with a fairly nifty looking web interface.

          <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
          > Thanks for reply! This "screen" seems to be good, but I don't think
          > could make it possible to monitor all the instances of bittorrent, and
          > you have to telnet everytime you want to add a download/monitor the
          > status.
          > The daemon I've seen instead allow you to always monitor with a simple
          > utility what you are downloading, and also allow an easy way to add
          > new downloads: just putting .torrent files in a folder! So, can't we
          > work on this to make it run on linkstation?

          > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > > Darn, you beat me to it! Screen is the easiest way to run programs in
          > > the background. Just add "screen" before the program you wish to run.
          > > To resume the program use the command "screen -r". I am working on
          > > putting together a screen package for the PPC LinkStation. I'll post
          > > it on the LinkStationWiki when I'm done.
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
            Have you seen FluxTorrent?
            http://www.fluxtorrent.com

            It requires you run mysql/apache/php so it's not for a regular
            linkstation setup. You'd need to install a full distro to get this
            going. It's a web based BitTorrent Client. I'm running it at the
            moment but because it uses python it's a bit slow - though in the
            forum there is a mod to make it run using ctorrent (precompiled C client).

            Cheers,
            Al

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
              Ooops that should be http://www.torrentflux.com/
              It's called TorrentFlux.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
              > Have you seen FluxTorrent?
              > http://www.fluxtorrent.com
              >
              > It requires you run mysql/apache/php so it's not for a regular
              > linkstation setup. You'd need to install a full distro to get this
              > going. It's a web based BitTorrent Client. I'm running it at the
              > moment but because it uses python it's a bit slow - though in the
              > forum there is a mod to make it run using ctorrent (precompiled C
              client).

              > Cheers,
              > Al

              , "James Stewart"
            • superg00fy
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                Thanks you all for your reply, but now I've finally tryed mldonkey and
                seems to be the one for me: multi protocol, and with remote GUIs to
                manage it! I really like it and I'm trying it now to see how it can
                make my LS a download center ;-)
              • wedgemusic
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Did you download the version from the LinkStationWiki or did you
                  compile your own? If you downloaded it from the wiki, how did you like
                  the installation script? Any thoughts or suggestions?

                  <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
                  > Thanks you all for your reply, but now I've finally tryed mldonkey and
                  > seems to be the one for me: multi protocol, and with remote GUIs to
                  > manage it! I really like it and I'm trying it now to see how it can
                  > make my LS a download center ;-)
                • superg00fy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Yes, I've used the one on LinkStationWiki! I think the script is fine,
                    but maybe I'd love to see the stuffs of mldonkey, not ALL in
                    /usr/local/bin, where maybe other stuffs may go, but in a separate
                    directory (for example /usr/local/bin/mldonkey, or something like
                    /srv/mldonkey). That's only because mldonkey put a lot of
                    files/directories when it start!

                    Other than that I only had to tweak mldonkey settings to put
                    temp/downloads on a hda3 mounted dir and make a little script to force
                    it to run in it's own path (or it will fill of .ini files every
                    directory where it's started) and to run in background.
                    I've found a script that make it better: it has start/stop/status
                    params to use it at system startup

                    Now it seems to work very well with the remote gui i'm using (sancho)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Can you post the script and your modifications please?

                      <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
                      > Yes, I've used the one on LinkStationWiki! I think the script is fine,
                      > but maybe I'd love to see the stuffs of mldonkey, not ALL in
                      > /usr/local/bin, where maybe other stuffs may go, but in a separate
                      > directory (for example /usr/local/bin/mldonkey, or something like
                      > /srv/mldonkey). That's only because mldonkey put a lot of
                      > files/directories when it start!
                      >
                      > Other than that I only had to tweak mldonkey settings to put
                      > temp/downloads on a hda3 mounted dir and make a little script to force
                      > it to run in it's own path (or it will fill of .ini files every
                      > directory where it's started) and to run in background.
                      > I've found a script that make it better: it has start/stop/status
                      > params to use it at system startup
                      >
                      > Now it seems to work very well with the remote gui i'm using (sancho)

                      > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                      > > Did you download the version from the LinkStationWiki or did you
                      > > compile your own? If you downloaded it from the wiki, how did you like
                      > > the installation script? Any thoughts or suggestions?

                    • pretzel_munster
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                        Hi wedgemusic,

                        did you make any progress with the screen package for LS1? I would
                        love "screen" in combination with the Bittorrent package from Wiki
                        (which works great!). This tool would really solve all my needs at the
                        moment. See http://mandrivausers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t17941.html
                        for details on the easy usage of "screen".

                        I would really appreciate your efforts for the package!

                        Kind regards,

                        pretzel_munster.