Re: Speeding up the FTP Server

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      That depends - how slow is slow?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
      <andrew@h...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Is there any way of doing this - or is it normal for it to be slow?
      >
      > Running 1.47 of the firmware.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Andrew.
    • Andrew Hodgson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

        When I FTP to it using the FTP command on a Linux box it takes around 5
        seconds for the initial greeting to come up. It is slightly quicker on
        directory listing, and the data transfer is fine.

        Andrew.

        > Is there any way of doing this - or is it normal for it to be slow?
        >
        > Running 1.47 of the firmware.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Andrew.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
          This isn't a LS specific thing. I always have this delay when
          accessing an FTP server. Despite that, I would kind of like to know
          what is going on, and if there is any way to speed it up too.

          <andrew@h...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > When I FTP to it using the FTP command on a Linux box it takes
          around 5
          > seconds for the initial greeting to come up. It is slightly
          quicker on
          > directory listing, and the data transfer is fine.
          >
          > Andrew.

        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
            I wouldn't be concerned over a delay of only a few seconds, provided
            that transfer speeds are sufficient. I'm guessing it's a delay in
            authentication or reading the directory structure. Have you tried
            installing a different FTP daemon, such as vsftpd?

            <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > This isn't a LS specific thing. I always have this delay when
            > accessing an FTP server. Despite that, I would kind of like to know
            > what is going on, and if there is any way to speed it up too.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
            > <andrew@h...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > When I FTP to it using the FTP command on a Linux box it takes
            > around 5
            > > seconds for the initial greeting to come up. It is slightly
            > quicker on
            > > directory listing, and the data transfer is fine.
            > >
            > > Andrew.

          • Christoph Steckelberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
              Hi

              Try adding your linkstation's ip and its hostname to /etc/hosts on
              the linkstation.

              Christoph