Re: BitTorrent Daemon

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
      There is the utility called "screen" which lets you "background" an
      entire shell (telnet) session, as well as have multiple sessions
      running, then be able to reconnect to them later. Someone got it
      working on the original LS1 a while back. I have it on my
      Debianized one (but hardly used it because I use a graphical VNC
      desktop instead).

      If you are interested in it and can't get it going, let me know and
      I might be able to come up with a version that will run for you If
      you have an LS-1. For an LS-2 you might need to hunt down an LS-2
      owner to test it.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "superg00fy"
      <supergoofy@k...> wrote:

      > Hi, I've installed the BitTorrent package from the wiki, but I
      > haven't found a way to make my download to stay in background!

      > There is also an utility to monitor all the downloads always
      > written in Python, but that make use of a simple GUI, so it
      > must be changed to work in text-mode/web.

      > Unfortunately it was made for gentoo, ... So I just wanted to know
      > if anyone already has tryed it and adapted to the linkstation

      Also I think some people are doing it this way, at least running
      some sort of bittorrent client that runs in the background like
      this. As far a Python, it is an "interpreted" lanquage. So this
      means you don't need to worry about what OS it was "compiled" for or
      any thing like that, you "just" have to get the Python interpreter
      installed and running.

      Someone should to a HowTo on running bittorrent in the background.
      I would be interested because it seems cleaner to me than running it
      in a background-able shell or VNC environment.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
        Darn, you beat me to it! Screen is the easiest way to run programs in
        the background. Just add "screen" before the program you wish to run.
        To resume the program use the command "screen -r". I am working on
        putting together a screen package for the PPC LinkStation. I'll post
        it on the LinkStationWiki when I'm done.

        <wartstew@y...> wrote:
        > There is the utility called "screen" which lets you "background" an
        > entire shell (telnet) session, as well as have multiple sessions
        > running, then be able to reconnect to them later. Someone got it
        > working on the original LS1 a while back. I have it on my
        > Debianized one (but hardly used it because I use a graphical VNC
        > desktop instead).
        >
        > If you are interested in it and can't get it going, let me know and
        > I might be able to come up with a version that will run for you If
        > you have an LS-1. For an LS-2 you might need to hunt down an LS-2
        > owner to test it.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "superg00fy"
        > <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi, I've installed the BitTorrent package from the wiki, but I
        > > haven't found a way to make my download to stay in background!
        >
        > > There is also an utility to monitor all the downloads always
        > > written in Python, but that make use of a simple GUI, so it
        > > must be changed to work in text-mode/web.
        >
        > > Unfortunately it was made for gentoo, ... So I just wanted to know
        > > if anyone already has tryed it and adapted to the linkstation
        >
        > Also I think some people are doing it this way, at least running
        > some sort of bittorrent client that runs in the background like
        > this. As far a Python, it is an "interpreted" lanquage. So this
        > means you don't need to worry about what OS it was "compiled" for or
        > any thing like that, you "just" have to get the Python interpreter
        > installed and running.
        >
        > Someone should to a HowTo on running bittorrent in the background.
        > I would be interested because it seems cleaner to me than running it
        > in a background-able shell or VNC environment.
      • superg00fy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thanks for reply! This "screen" seems to be good, but I don't think
          could make it possible to monitor all the instances of bittorrent, and
          you have to telnet everytime you want to add a download/monitor the
          status.
          The daemon I've seen instead allow you to always monitor with a simple
          utility what you are downloading, and also allow an easy way to add
          new downloads: just putting .torrent files in a folder! So, can't we
          work on this to make it run on linkstation?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
          <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > Darn, you beat me to it! Screen is the easiest way to run programs in
          > the background. Just add "screen" before the program you wish to run.
          > To resume the program use the command "screen -r". I am working on
          > putting together a screen package for the PPC LinkStation. I'll post
          > it on the LinkStationWiki when I'm done.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
            You might want to look into a different client for your purposes.
            MLDonkey seems quite popular (although I've never used it) and comes
            with a fairly nifty looking web interface.

            <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
            > Thanks for reply! This "screen" seems to be good, but I don't think
            > could make it possible to monitor all the instances of bittorrent, and
            > you have to telnet everytime you want to add a download/monitor the
            > status.
            > The daemon I've seen instead allow you to always monitor with a simple
            > utility what you are downloading, and also allow an easy way to add
            > new downloads: just putting .torrent files in a folder! So, can't we
            > work on this to make it run on linkstation?

            > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > > Darn, you beat me to it! Screen is the easiest way to run programs in
            > > the background. Just add "screen" before the program you wish to run.
            > > To resume the program use the command "screen -r". I am working on
            > > putting together a screen package for the PPC LinkStation. I'll post
            > > it on the LinkStationWiki when I'm done.
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
              Have you seen FluxTorrent?
              http://www.fluxtorrent.com

              It requires you run mysql/apache/php so it's not for a regular
              linkstation setup. You'd need to install a full distro to get this
              going. It's a web based BitTorrent Client. I'm running it at the
              moment but because it uses python it's a bit slow - though in the
              forum there is a mod to make it run using ctorrent (precompiled C client).

              Cheers,
              Al

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
                Ooops that should be http://www.torrentflux.com/
                It's called TorrentFlux.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                > Have you seen FluxTorrent?
                > http://www.fluxtorrent.com
                >
                > It requires you run mysql/apache/php so it's not for a regular
                > linkstation setup. You'd need to install a full distro to get this
                > going. It's a web based BitTorrent Client. I'm running it at the
                > moment but because it uses python it's a bit slow - though in the
                > forum there is a mod to make it run using ctorrent (precompiled C
                client).

                > Cheers,
                > Al

                , "James Stewart"
              • superg00fy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Thanks you all for your reply, but now I've finally tryed mldonkey and
                  seems to be the one for me: multi protocol, and with remote GUIs to
                  manage it! I really like it and I'm trying it now to see how it can
                  make my LS a download center ;-)
                • wedgemusic
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Did you download the version from the LinkStationWiki or did you
                    compile your own? If you downloaded it from the wiki, how did you like
                    the installation script? Any thoughts or suggestions?

                    <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
                    > Thanks you all for your reply, but now I've finally tryed mldonkey and
                    > seems to be the one for me: multi protocol, and with remote GUIs to
                    > manage it! I really like it and I'm trying it now to see how it can
                    > make my LS a download center ;-)
                  • superg00fy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Yes, I've used the one on LinkStationWiki! I think the script is fine,
                      but maybe I'd love to see the stuffs of mldonkey, not ALL in
                      /usr/local/bin, where maybe other stuffs may go, but in a separate
                      directory (for example /usr/local/bin/mldonkey, or something like
                      /srv/mldonkey). That's only because mldonkey put a lot of
                      files/directories when it start!

                      Other than that I only had to tweak mldonkey settings to put
                      temp/downloads on a hda3 mounted dir and make a little script to force
                      it to run in it's own path (or it will fill of .ini files every
                      directory where it's started) and to run in background.
                      I've found a script that make it better: it has start/stop/status
                      params to use it at system startup

                      Now it seems to work very well with the remote gui i'm using (sancho)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                        Can you post the script and your modifications please?

                        <supergoofy@k...> wrote:
                        > Yes, I've used the one on LinkStationWiki! I think the script is fine,
                        > but maybe I'd love to see the stuffs of mldonkey, not ALL in
                        > /usr/local/bin, where maybe other stuffs may go, but in a separate
                        > directory (for example /usr/local/bin/mldonkey, or something like
                        > /srv/mldonkey). That's only because mldonkey put a lot of
                        > files/directories when it start!
                        >
                        > Other than that I only had to tweak mldonkey settings to put
                        > temp/downloads on a hda3 mounted dir and make a little script to force
                        > it to run in it's own path (or it will fill of .ini files every
                        > directory where it's started) and to run in background.
                        > I've found a script that make it better: it has start/stop/status
                        > params to use it at system startup
                        >
                        > Now it seems to work very well with the remote gui i'm using (sancho)

                        > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                        > > Did you download the version from the LinkStationWiki or did you
                        > > compile your own? If you downloaded it from the wiki, how did you like
                        > > the installation script? Any thoughts or suggestions?

                      • pretzel_munster
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                          Hi wedgemusic,

                          did you make any progress with the screen package for LS1? I would
                          love "screen" in combination with the Bittorrent package from Wiki
                          (which works great!). This tool would really solve all my needs at the
                          moment. See http://mandrivausers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t17941.html
                          for details on the easy usage of "screen".

                          I would really appreciate your efforts for the package!

                          Kind regards,

                          pretzel_munster.