Re: LS ver.1 hard freezing ...

  • -/\-
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 8:04 AM
      When frozen:
      I can ping it from my xp desktop but the web interface is not accessible
      Mapped drive reports as disconnected...

      Please help !

      Thanks
      "-/\-" <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote in
      message news:da5up5$d5h$1@......
      > Hi folks,
      > I have LS ver.1 and it will randomly freeze ( big time)
      > Both green lights ON
      > Power button not responding
      > Reset button not responding
      > Only remedy is pulling the power cord re insert it and power it back on
      > Latest firmware installed and re-installed
      > HD formatted
      >
      > Any idea what's wrong ?
      >
      > Thanks !
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 6:20 PM
        -/\-

        There where some threads earlier suggesting that these boxes are quite
        susceptible to noise (EMF or such) which would cause such lockups. I have
        not experienced this personally but you may want to try moving it away from
        what ever it's next to or drape a couple sheets of aluminum foil over it as
        a test.

        JR

        > I can ping it from my xp desktop but the web interface is not accessible
        > Mapped drive reports as disconnected...
        >
        > Please help !
        >
        > Thanks
        > "-/\-" <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote in message
        >> Hi folks,
        >> I have LS ver.1 and it will randomly freeze ( big time)
        >> Both green lights ON
        >> Power button not responding
        >> Reset button not responding
        >> Only remedy is pulling the power cord re insert it and power it back on
        >> Latest firmware installed and re-installed
        >> HD formatted
        >>
        >> Any idea what's wrong ?
        >>
        >> Thanks !
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • -/\-
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 6:35 PM
          Thanks, for the suggestion !
          I'll try that :)

          "James Ronald" <jronald@...> wrote in
          message news:001401c57f6d$70cb4660$6601a8c0@jr7cce2911b481...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2 10:52 PM
            It is odd that you can still ping it. If you have telnet access and
            you can keep it up long enough, it would be interesting to look
            through the logs in /var/log to see if there is any early warning
            about what is going on. My initial guess would be that your updated
            firmware got corrupted at some point, probably in downloading it.
            Download a new copy and run a file compare on them.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"

          • -/\-
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3 3:10 AM
              Looks like I found the problem
              When I leave it in frozen state for couple hrs it will turn it self off and
              report 6 red blinks on the diag LED
              Replaced HD and everything seem to be OK again
              I presume that it started disk scan and that's why it didn't respond.
              Strange thing is that the HD doesn't report any failure when using Seagate
              online tools ....

              "James Stewart" <wartstew@...> wrote in
              message news:da7ue9+ng4c@......