Speeding up the FTP Server

  • Andrew Hodgson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

      Is there any way of doing this - or is it normal for it to be slow?

      Running 1.47 of the firmware.

      Thanks.
      Andrew.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        That depends - how slow is slow?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
        <andrew@h...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Is there any way of doing this - or is it normal for it to be slow?
        >
        > Running 1.47 of the firmware.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Andrew.
      • Andrew Hodgson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

          When I FTP to it using the FTP command on a Linux box it takes around 5
          seconds for the initial greeting to come up. It is slightly quicker on
          directory listing, and the data transfer is fine.

          Andrew.

          > Is there any way of doing this - or is it normal for it to be slow?
          >
          > Running 1.47 of the firmware.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Andrew.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
            This isn't a LS specific thing. I always have this delay when
            accessing an FTP server. Despite that, I would kind of like to know
            what is going on, and if there is any way to speed it up too.

            <andrew@h...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > When I FTP to it using the FTP command on a Linux box it takes
            around 5
            > seconds for the initial greeting to come up. It is slightly
            quicker on
            > directory listing, and the data transfer is fine.
            >
            > Andrew.

          • wedgemusic
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
              I wouldn't be concerned over a delay of only a few seconds, provided
              that transfer speeds are sufficient. I'm guessing it's a delay in
              authentication or reading the directory structure. Have you tried
              installing a different FTP daemon, such as vsftpd?

              <wartstew@y...> wrote:
              > This isn't a LS specific thing. I always have this delay when
              > accessing an FTP server. Despite that, I would kind of like to know
              > what is going on, and if there is any way to speed it up too.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
              > <andrew@h...> wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > When I FTP to it using the FTP command on a Linux box it takes
              > around 5
              > > seconds for the initial greeting to come up. It is slightly
              > quicker on
              > > directory listing, and the data transfer is fine.
              > >
              > > Andrew.

            • Christoph Steckelberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
                Hi

                Try adding your linkstation's ip and its hostname to /etc/hosts on
                the linkstation.

                Christoph