Access linkstation over netbios through VPN

  • Paul Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
      I have just purchased the Buffalo linkstation and am wondering if it
      can mimic the functionality that I currently have set up with an old
      Windows machine acting as a file and print server. I have 3 other
      machines that require access to the files and printer. One of those
      machines is typically connected to my corporate intranet through VPN.
      But I'd still like to be able to access the files and printer even
      when the VPN is running.

      In my current configuration, I have managed to do this by running the
      file and print server over NetBios / NetBeui instead of over TCP/IP.
      Somehow, even when the work computer is connected to the VPN using
      TCP/IP, it can access the local computer over NetBios.

      I was hoping that the linkstation could do something similar, but so
      far it doesn't look good. I thought I read something about the
      linkstation using netbios, but right now I can't access the drive from
      my work computer when the VPN is running.

      I'd be open to hacking the linkstation if it were relatively
      straightforward. Any help is much appreciated.

      Thanks...

      pt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
        Although I'm not a VPN expert, here are some things you have to have
        to make it work.

        You need VPN software/hardware running at both ends. This is to
        un-encrypt the VPN packets, as well as to "authenticate" valid
        users. I'm guessing that with your old setup, you had VPN software
        running on the home computer you had providing these shared
        resources.

        This means that you need to get the compatible VPN software running
        on your LS. The first step in this is determining which VPN system
        you are using, If you didn't install any special software, then you
        might be using Microsoft's VPN that is built into Windows. The next
        task is to locate a Linux version of the VPN software and then get
        it installed and running on the LS. One word of caution: The
        encrypting/decrypting process of the VPN is a little processor
        intensive, so I'm not sure if the LS would be able to be real fast
        at this, so don't expect real fast performance.

        Another alternative is to buy a stand alone VPN hardware box that is
        compatible with your corporate network. I think I've seen some of
        these sold by low-cost hardware manufactures (maybe even Buffalo!).
        I have no idea if they would be compatible with what you have. The
        idea here is to put it on your home network and let do all the work
        providing the netBIOS gateway between the two networks.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Taylor"