LS ver.1 hard freezing ...

  • -/\-
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hi folks,
      I have LS ver.1 and it will randomly freeze ( big time)
      Both green lights ON
      Power button not responding
      Reset button not responding
      Only remedy is pulling the power cord re insert it and power it back on ...
      Latest firmware installed and re-installed
      HD formatted

      Any idea what's wrong ?

      Thanks !
    • -/\-
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        When frozen:
        I can ping it from my xp desktop but the web interface is not accessible
        Mapped drive reports as disconnected...

        Please help !

        Thanks
        "-/\-" <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote in
        message news:da5up5$d5h$1@......
        > Hi folks,
        > I have LS ver.1 and it will randomly freeze ( big time)
        > Both green lights ON
        > Power button not responding
        > Reset button not responding
        > Only remedy is pulling the power cord re insert it and power it back on
        > Latest firmware installed and re-installed
        > HD formatted
        >
        > Any idea what's wrong ?
        >
        > Thanks !
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
          -/\-

          There where some threads earlier suggesting that these boxes are quite
          susceptible to noise (EMF or such) which would cause such lockups. I have
          not experienced this personally but you may want to try moving it away from
          what ever it's next to or drape a couple sheets of aluminum foil over it as
          a test.

          JR

          > I can ping it from my xp desktop but the web interface is not accessible
          > Mapped drive reports as disconnected...
          >
          > Please help !
          >
          > Thanks
          > "-/\-" <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote in message
          >> Hi folks,
          >> I have LS ver.1 and it will randomly freeze ( big time)
          >> Both green lights ON
          >> Power button not responding
          >> Reset button not responding
          >> Only remedy is pulling the power cord re insert it and power it back on
          >> Latest firmware installed and re-installed
          >> HD formatted
          >>
          >> Any idea what's wrong ?
          >>
          >> Thanks !
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • -/\-
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
            Thanks, for the suggestion !
            I'll try that :)

            "James Ronald" <jronald@...> wrote in
            message news:001401c57f6d$70cb4660$6601a8c0@jr7cce2911b481...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
              It is odd that you can still ping it. If you have telnet access and
              you can keep it up long enough, it would be interesting to look
              through the logs in /var/log to see if there is any early warning
              about what is going on. My initial guess would be that your updated
              firmware got corrupted at some point, probably in downloading it.
              Download a new copy and run a file compare on them.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"

            • -/\-
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
                Looks like I found the problem
                When I leave it in frozen state for couple hrs it will turn it self off and
                report 6 red blinks on the diag LED
                Replaced HD and everything seem to be OK again
                I presume that it started disk scan and that's why it didn't respond.
                Strange thing is that the HD doesn't report any failure when using Seagate
                online tools ....

                "James Stewart" <wartstew@...> wrote in
                message news:da7ue9+ng4c@......