Re: External USB disk for backup

  • chano22000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 10:34 AM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

      > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
      >
      > Peter

      Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
      EXT3 (Linux file system)).

      As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
      only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
      mode.

      Regards.
    • Peter Cassidy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 12:01 PM
        Well now I can't see the external USB drive at all?

        Nothing shows up in USB Details.

        I've tried connecting to both the USB interfaces on the Linkstation - no difference?

        Also tried powering the USB drive before and after starting the linkstation - no difference?

        Peter
        On 01/07/2005 at 17:34 chano22000 wrote:
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

        > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
        >
        > Peter

        Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
        EXT3 (Linux file system)).

        As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
        only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
        mode.

        Regards.

        Best Regards
        Peter Cassidy

        Cassidy Consulting Ltd
        Tel:          01323 521940
        Fax:         01323 521948
        Mobile:    07956 976236
        Email:      peter@...

        Blainslie House
        6 Nevill Avenue
        Eastbourne
        East Sussex
        BN22 9PT
        UK

        Confidentiality notice:
        The information contained in this email is confidential.
        You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
        others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
        If you are not the intended recipient we would
        appreciate
        you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.
      • pufi42
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20 1:25 AM
          <peter@c...> wrote:
          > I have a Linkstation 120 running 1.45 firmware. I have connected
          to it a Buffalu USB 160GB drive to act as a backup device.

          > If I look in the USB Details it shows the USB drive OK. However I
          can't scan the drive, format the drive or setup the drive as a backup
          device.

          > What am I doing wrong?
          >
          > Is it possible that Buffalo USB drives don't work as backup drives
          on Buffalo linkstations?

          > Best Regards
          > Peter Cassidy
          >
          > Cassidy Consulting Ltd
          > Tel: 01323 521940
          > Fax: 01323 521948
          > Mobile: 07956 976236
          > Email: peter@c...
          >
          > Blainslie House
          > 6 Nevill Avenue
          > Eastbourne
          > East Sussex
          > BN22 9PT
          > UK
          >
          > Confidentiality notice:
          > The information contained in this email is confidential.
          > You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
          > others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
          > If you are not the intended recipient we would appreciate
          > you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.

          Hi Peter,

          I have the same problem with my Linkstation II,
          ver. 2.05. The USB drive was working for two days afterwards
          I could't connect to the USB disc anymore. I tried everything,
          reflashed the firmware, used other USB drive, used different
          startup procedures. I got different states:

          1. I do not see the USB drive at all
          2. I see the USB drive in the browser USB setup page, but I can't
          access the drive, I can't format the drive
          3. The DIAG red LED on the Linkstation flashes six times
          periodically, I can't access the Linkstation at all

          Did you solve your problem already?

          Paul