Re: External USB disk for backup

  • chano22000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      > What am I doing wrong?

      1) Toggle the POWER MODE switch of your Buffalo DriveStation right
      below the power switch so that the drive is purely based on the power
      switch's position and not by the USB signal of the LinkStation.

      2) Switch on your drive first.

      3) Then boot your LinkStation.

      The disk red light will turn off and it should now work.

      Regards.

      Chano22000
    • Peter Cassidy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005

        Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?

        Peter

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

          > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
          >
          > Peter

          Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
          EXT3 (Linux file system)).

          As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
          only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
          mode.

          Regards.
        • Peter Cassidy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
            Well now I can't see the external USB drive at all?

            Nothing shows up in USB Details.

            I've tried connecting to both the USB interfaces on the Linkstation - no difference?

            Also tried powering the USB drive before and after starting the linkstation - no difference?

            Peter
            On 01/07/2005 at 17:34 chano22000 wrote:
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

            > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
            >
            > Peter

            Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
            EXT3 (Linux file system)).

            As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
            only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
            mode.

            Regards.

            Best Regards
            Peter Cassidy

            Cassidy Consulting Ltd
            Tel:          01323 521940
            Fax:         01323 521948
            Mobile:    07956 976236
            Email:      peter@...

            Blainslie House
            6 Nevill Avenue
            Eastbourne
            East Sussex
            BN22 9PT
            UK

            Confidentiality notice:
            The information contained in this email is confidential.
            You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
            others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
            If you are not the intended recipient we would
            appreciate
            you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.
          • pufi42
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
              <peter@c...> wrote:
              > I have a Linkstation 120 running 1.45 firmware. I have connected
              to it a Buffalu USB 160GB drive to act as a backup device.

              > If I look in the USB Details it shows the USB drive OK. However I
              can't scan the drive, format the drive or setup the drive as a backup
              device.

              > What am I doing wrong?
              >
              > Is it possible that Buffalo USB drives don't work as backup drives
              on Buffalo linkstations?

              > Best Regards
              > Peter Cassidy
              >
              > Cassidy Consulting Ltd
              > Tel: 01323 521940
              > Fax: 01323 521948
              > Mobile: 07956 976236
              > Email: peter@c...
              >
              > Blainslie House
              > 6 Nevill Avenue
              > Eastbourne
              > East Sussex
              > BN22 9PT
              > UK
              >
              > Confidentiality notice:
              > The information contained in this email is confidential.
              > You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
              > others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
              > If you are not the intended recipient we would appreciate
              > you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.

              Hi Peter,

              I have the same problem with my Linkstation II,
              ver. 2.05. The USB drive was working for two days afterwards
              I could't connect to the USB disc anymore. I tried everything,
              reflashed the firmware, used other USB drive, used different
              startup procedures. I got different states:

              1. I do not see the USB drive at all
              2. I see the USB drive in the browser USB setup page, but I can't
              access the drive, I can't format the drive
              3. The DIAG red LED on the Linkstation flashes six times
              periodically, I can't access the Linkstation at all

              Did you solve your problem already?

              Paul