Buffalo Firmware Upgrade Failure

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2004
      I have noticed the following problem and thought I'ld share it with
      the community.

      If you have recently downloaded ZoneAlarm 55_062_000 (I can't
      exactly remember the number) then even if you disable it, the
      firmware will not transfer across successfully using Buffalo
      Firmware Transfer Tool and hence corrupt your flash. I have had this
      happen on a Linkstation and I suspect it is not limited to
      linkstations. It appears that ZoneAlaram has an issue with Buffalo's
      Firmware downloading tool.

      What I saw happening, was that it would never completely transfer
      the firmware across. Activity is evident on both computer and
      linkstation but something is not working correctly. If you uninstall
      zonealarm, you should be good to go. However, the Linkstation
      becomes useless after the bad original flash.

      A possible workaround (not a fix) is to use the Japanese downloader
      to transmit the English firmware. Note that this will allow you to
      regain access to your Linkstation but, if you try to use the English
      downloader again, it will fail.