Re: [LinkStation_General] External USB disk for backup

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      I have a Buffalo Drive Station 250 station and it worked fine with the 1.43 software when I tried it months and months ago.  I have since removed the drive and put it in my Kuro HG.

      JR
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        > What am I doing wrong?

        1) Toggle the POWER MODE switch of your Buffalo DriveStation right
        below the power switch so that the drive is purely based on the power
        switch's position and not by the USB signal of the LinkStation.

        2) Switch on your drive first.

        3) Then boot your LinkStation.

        The disk red light will turn off and it should now work.

        Regards.

        Chano22000
      • Peter Cassidy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005

          Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?

          Peter
          On 01/07/2005 at 15:13 chano22000 wrote:
          > What am I doing wrong?

          1) Toggle the POWER MODE switch of your Buffalo DriveStation right
          below the power switch so that the drive is purely based on the power
          switch's position and not by the USB signal of the LinkStation.

          2) Switch on your drive first.

          3) Then boot your LinkStation.

          The disk red light will turn off and it should now work.

          Regards.

          Chano22000

        • chano22000
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

            > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
            >
            > Peter

            Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
            EXT3 (Linux file system)).

            As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
            only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
            mode.

            Regards.
          • Peter Cassidy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
              Well now I can't see the external USB drive at all?

              Nothing shows up in USB Details.

              I've tried connecting to both the USB interfaces on the Linkstation - no difference?

              Also tried powering the USB drive before and after starting the linkstation - no difference?

              Peter
              On 01/07/2005 at 17:34 chano22000 wrote:
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

              > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
              >
              > Peter

              Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
              EXT3 (Linux file system)).

              As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
              only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
              mode.

              Regards.

              Best Regards
              Peter Cassidy

              Cassidy Consulting Ltd
              Tel:          01323 521940
              Fax:         01323 521948
              Mobile:    07956 976236
              Email:      peter@...

              Blainslie House
              6 Nevill Avenue
              Eastbourne
              East Sussex
              BN22 9PT
              UK

              Confidentiality notice:
              The information contained in this email is confidential.
              You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
              others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
              If you are not the intended recipient we would
              appreciate
              you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.
            • pufi42
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
                <peter@c...> wrote:
                > I have a Linkstation 120 running 1.45 firmware. I have connected
                to it a Buffalu USB 160GB drive to act as a backup device.

                > If I look in the USB Details it shows the USB drive OK. However I
                can't scan the drive, format the drive or setup the drive as a backup
                device.

                > What am I doing wrong?
                >
                > Is it possible that Buffalo USB drives don't work as backup drives
                on Buffalo linkstations?

                > Best Regards
                > Peter Cassidy
                >
                > Cassidy Consulting Ltd
                > Tel: 01323 521940
                > Fax: 01323 521948
                > Mobile: 07956 976236
                > Email: peter@c...
                >
                > Blainslie House
                > 6 Nevill Avenue
                > Eastbourne
                > East Sussex
                > BN22 9PT
                > UK
                >
                > Confidentiality notice:
                > The information contained in this email is confidential.
                > You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
                > others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
                > If you are not the intended recipient we would appreciate
                > you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.

                Hi Peter,

                I have the same problem with my Linkstation II,
                ver. 2.05. The USB drive was working for two days afterwards
                I could't connect to the USB disc anymore. I tried everything,
                reflashed the firmware, used other USB drive, used different
                startup procedures. I got different states:

                1. I do not see the USB drive at all
                2. I see the USB drive in the browser USB setup page, but I can't
                access the drive, I can't format the drive
                3. The DIAG red LED on the Linkstation flashes six times
                periodically, I can't access the Linkstation at all

                Did you solve your problem already?

                Paul