External USB disk for backup

  • Peter Cassidy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 5:15 AM
      I have a Linkstation 120  running 1.45 firmware. I have connected to it a Buffalu USB 160GB drive to act as a backup device.

      If I look in the USB Details it shows the USB drive OK. However I can't scan the drive, format the drive or setup the drive as a backup device.

      What am I doing wrong?

      Is it possible that Buffalo USB drives don't work as backup drives on Buffalo linkstations?

      Best Regards
      Peter Cassidy

      Cassidy Consulting Ltd
      Tel:          01323 521940
      Fax:         01323 521948
      Mobile:    07956 976236
      Email:      peter@...

      Blainslie House
      6 Nevill Avenue
      Eastbourne
      East Sussex
      BN22 9PT
      UK

      Confidentiality notice:
      The information contained in this email is confidential.
      You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
      others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
      If you are not the intended recipient we would
      appreciate
      you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 6:48 AM
        I have a Buffalo Drive Station 250 station and it worked fine with the 1.43 software when I tried it months and months ago.  I have since removed the drive and put it in my Kuro HG.

        JR

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 8:13 AM
          > What am I doing wrong?

          1) Toggle the POWER MODE switch of your Buffalo DriveStation right
          below the power switch so that the drive is purely based on the power
          switch's position and not by the USB signal of the LinkStation.

          2) Switch on your drive first.

          3) Then boot your LinkStation.

          The disk red light will turn off and it should now work.

          Regards.

          Chano22000
        • Peter Cassidy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 9:52 AM

            Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?

            Peter

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1 10:34 AM
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

              > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
              >
              > Peter

              Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
              EXT3 (Linux file system)).

              As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
              only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
              mode.

              Regards.
            • Peter Cassidy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1 12:01 PM
                Well now I can't see the external USB drive at all?

                Nothing shows up in USB Details.

                I've tried connecting to both the USB interfaces on the Linkstation - no difference?

                Also tried powering the USB drive before and after starting the linkstation - no difference?

                Peter
                On 01/07/2005 at 17:34 chano22000 wrote:
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"

                > Will it need to be formatted before I can use it as a backup drive?
                >
                > Peter

                Yes, and through the LS admin interface (your drive will be formatted
                EXT3 (Linux file system)).

                As far as I remember, Buffalo drives are preformatted FAT32, which
                only allows you to have them shared (as usbdisk1) and in read only
                mode.

                Regards.

                Best Regards
                Peter Cassidy

                Cassidy Consulting Ltd
                Tel:          01323 521940
                Fax:         01323 521948
                Mobile:    07956 976236
                Email:      peter@...

                Blainslie House
                6 Nevill Avenue
                Eastbourne
                East Sussex
                BN22 9PT
                UK

                Confidentiality notice:
                The information contained in this email is confidential.
                You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
                others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
                If you are not the intended recipient we would
                appreciate
                you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.
              • pufi42
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20 1:25 AM
                  <peter@c...> wrote:
                  > I have a Linkstation 120 running 1.45 firmware. I have connected
                  to it a Buffalu USB 160GB drive to act as a backup device.

                  > If I look in the USB Details it shows the USB drive OK. However I
                  can't scan the drive, format the drive or setup the drive as a backup
                  device.

                  > What am I doing wrong?
                  >
                  > Is it possible that Buffalo USB drives don't work as backup drives
                  on Buffalo linkstations?

                  > Best Regards
                  > Peter Cassidy
                  >
                  > Cassidy Consulting Ltd
                  > Tel: 01323 521940
                  > Fax: 01323 521948
                  > Mobile: 07956 976236
                  > Email: peter@c...
                  >
                  > Blainslie House
                  > 6 Nevill Avenue
                  > Eastbourne
                  > East Sussex
                  > BN22 9PT
                  > UK
                  >
                  > Confidentiality notice:
                  > The information contained in this email is confidential.
                  > You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
                  > others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
                  > If you are not the intended recipient we would appreciate
                  > you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.

                  Hi Peter,

                  I have the same problem with my Linkstation II,
                  ver. 2.05. The USB drive was working for two days afterwards
                  I could't connect to the USB disc anymore. I tried everything,
                  reflashed the firmware, used other USB drive, used different
                  startup procedures. I got different states:

                  1. I do not see the USB drive at all
                  2. I see the USB drive in the browser USB setup page, but I can't
                  access the drive, I can't format the drive
                  3. The DIAG red LED on the Linkstation flashes six times
                  periodically, I can't access the Linkstation at all

                  Did you solve your problem already?

                  Paul