problems on the first steps to Debian

  • mikynog
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1 1:32 AM
      I finally got around to trying the Debian installation but am
      already not sure what to do. I've d/l'ed the files and booted to
      Knoppix with the LS disassembled hd connected. In Knoppix I'm
      trying to run the first command (fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hda) and
      it responds "Can't open /dev/hda".

      The hd is listed on the desktop as three partitions: hda1, hda3, and
      hda4. hda1 and hda4 are not accessible (couldn't mount); hda3 shows
      some folders (share, spool, etc). When I open up hd3 this is the
      reference: "file:/mnt/hda3".

      If I try su (root access) and run the command I get the following
      error: "fix_ext2_magic: command not found".

      Your guidance would be greatly appreciated. It almost seems like
      the hd is already mounted since I can access hd3. But I didn't want
      to skip any steps.

      Thanks in advance for your help.
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1 5:45 AM
        > If I try su (root access) and run the command I get the following
        > error: "fix_ext2_magic: command not found".

        try: ./fix_ext2_magic ...
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1 6:42 AM
          When I converted my PPC LS I just deleted all the partitions and started
          from there since I wanted different allocations anyway. Also I think you
          want to enter fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hda1 and not fix_ext2_magic --fix
          /dev/hda.

          JR

          > I finally got around to trying the Debian installation but am
          > already not sure what to do. I've d/l'ed the files and booted to
          > Knoppix with the LS disassembled hd connected. In Knoppix I'm
          > trying to run the first command (fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hda) and
          > it responds "Can't open /dev/hda".
          >
          > The hd is listed on the desktop as three partitions: hda1, hda3, and
          > hda4. hda1 and hda4 are not accessible (couldn't mount); hda3 shows
          > some folders (share, spool, etc). When I open up hd3 this is the
          > reference: "file:/mnt/hda3".
          >
          > If I try su (root access) and run the command I get the following
          > error: "fix_ext2_magic: command not found".
          >
          > Your guidance would be greatly appreciated. It almost seems like
          > the hd is already mounted since I can access hd3. But I didn't want
          > to skip any steps.
          >

          > Thanks in advance for your help.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mikynog
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 2:41 AM
            Thank you both for your replies. I think it was a combination of
            putting the "./" in front and referring to "hda1" that allowed me to
            get past that point.

            I think I've gotten to the point where I need to telnet into the
            Linkstation but I don't see it on my network. I didn't know what to
            put in the series of configuration files in the /ext/ folder so I left
            those alone. How should I edit these? My guess is this is the part
            I'm missing.

            Thanks again.

            PS. I did have a variation from the Wiki steps in that "unmount"
            wasn't a known command in Knoppix. So I right-clicked hda1 on the
            desktop and unmounted it that way. Just thought I'd document a
            difference from the Wiki.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 9:07 AM
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mikynog" <mikynog@y...>
              wrote:

              > Thank you both for your replies. I think it was a combination of
              > putting the "./" in front and referring to "hda1" that allowed me
              > to get past that point.

              Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps Wedgemusic can edit the
              instructions so to avoid confusion like this in the future.

              > I think I've gotten to the point where I need to telnet into the
              > Linkstation but I don't see it on my network. I didn't know what
              > to put in the series of configuration files in the /ext/ folder so
              > I left those alone. How should I edit these? My guess is this is
              > the part I'm missing.

              Yes, without editing them you get a network settings that might not
              be compatible with your network. I can't remember what they are,
              but they are listed in the original docs that the wiki docs were
              made from that can be found in the "files" section of this Yahoo
              group.

              I guess instructions for "how to edit" the settings need to be added
              too.
            • wedgemusic
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2 1:54 PM
                > Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps Wedgemusic can edit the
                > instructions so to avoid confusion like this in the future.

                Done :)

                > > I think I've gotten to the point where I need to telnet into the
                > > Linkstation but I don't see it on my network. I didn't know what
                > > to put in the series of configuration files in the /ext/ folder so
                > > I left those alone. How should I edit these? My guess is this is
                > > the part I'm missing.
                >
                > Yes, without editing them you get a network settings that might not
                > be compatible with your network. I can't remember what they are,
                > but they are listed in the original docs that the wiki docs were
                > made from that can be found in the "files" section of this Yahoo
                > group.
                >
                > I guess instructions for "how to edit" the settings need to be added
                > too.

                This is already noted in the Debian conversion instructions. The wiki
                states:

                "15. Correct the networking files so you can connect to the
                Linkstation. Edit /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf,
                /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, and /etc/hosts.deny to your network
                settings. It is recommended to change /etc/hosts.deny to ALL : PARANOID."

                I can't tell people exactly what to put because of variations in
                peoples' network settings. If you want to post your network
                information I can suggest what to put.
              • mikynog
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2 6:01 PM
                  I'm not sure to what detail you need my network configuration but
                  basically I have a firewall/router/switch that sits between the cable
                  modem and the network. The switch doles out IP addresses (DHCP).

                  The thing that was odd was that the LS wasn't showing up as a device
                  on the switch, which I saw to mean that the LS didn't get an IP
                  address. Is this remedied by editing these files? Or did I miss
                  something?

                  I don't know how you stay on top of these posts and keep your day jobs
                  but much thanks :).

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2 6:39 PM
                    If you didn't change the IP address like the how-to states then IP address
                    should be set to 192.168.0.100. So long as your DHCP server is serving up
                    IPs on the 192.168.0 network you should be fine so long as 192.168.0.100 is
                    not already being assigned to another IP device. If your network is not set
                    to 192.168.0 you can ether remove the drive and change it per the how-to or
                    change a workstation on your network to 192.168.0.10, telnet into the LS @
                    192.168.0.100 and then change the LS IP per the how-to.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2 10:22 PM
                      wrote:

                      > The switch doles out IP addresses (DHCP). The thing that was odd
                      > was that the LS wasn't showing up as a device on the switch, which
                      > I saw to mean that the LS didn't get an IP address. Is this
                      > remedied by editing these files? Or did I miss something?

                      Yes, the default network config on that Debian system (unless
                      someone has changed it) are these static IP settings:

                      IP address: 192.168.0.100
                      Gateway: 192.168.0.1
                      DNS: 192.168.0.1

                      Your DHCP server didn't register anything because the LS never asked
                      the DHCP server for anything.

                      I don't think that a DHCP client works on this system because of an
                      imcompatibility with the options compiled into the kernel. At least
                      I can't get it to work on mine. I never tried other DHCP clients
                      like "pump" however.

                      So to change the network config of the LS you have to
                      edit /etc/network/interfaces. You will also need to
                      edit /etc/resolve (for DNS settings), and /etc/hosts.allow
                      & /etc/hosts.deny to allow you to log into it.

                      > I don't know how you stay on top of these posts and keep your day
                      > jobs but much thanks :).

                      Well, work is a little slow right now, so you are in luck.

                      > I guess instructions for "how to edit" the settings need to be
                      > added too.

                      That depends on what you used to put the Debian on the LS in the
                      first place. If it was a Linux/Unix type system, use what ever
                      plain text editor that might be on it that you know how to use.
                      They all usually at least have "vi", but it isn't at all new-user
                      friendly. If you used something full featured like a Knoppix CDROM,
                      then you can use "kwrite", "kate", "kedit", "gedit", etc. If you
                      can get into your LS by changing network settings on a computer to
                      be compatible with it, you can edit them from within you LS, it only
                      has "vi" but you can then ftp the "nano" editor that I put in the
                      "files" section of this group if you need something easier to figure
                      out.

                      Now you know why I am very excited about the install procedure that
                      balimbabullabe is working on. It should be much less convoluted if
                      he ever gets the thing to boot.

                      How did you get Debian on your LS? I guess I (or someone)
                      could/should do a revised procedure for the LS-1 that does it using
                      balimbabullabe's partition swapper program, but not debootstrap
                      (like his installer will use) that still uses the Japanese Debian
                      instead. With this procedure, you would copy the Japanese tarball
                      over to the share directory using the Windows sharing-server
                      function of the LS, then telnet into it and unpack it to the root
                      of /mnt. Then copy over the /lib/modules directory to /mnt, then
                      fix up your network setting, and host.allow stuff, then run the
                      partition swapper program and reboot. (Notice the drive never left
                      the LS!), I was just hoping we would have balimbabullabe's version
                      by now because the Japanese Debian uses the ancient "Woody" Debian,
                      which you then normally would want to upgrade to "Sarge" (which can
                      be done with a simple "apt-get dist-upgrade"), which will pretty
                      much replace the whole system with the current Debian.
                    • mikynog
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 2 11:57 PM
                        Thanks to all your help I've passed the Debian installation!
                        Answering your questions:

                        - I followed the Wiki as best as I could, including the opening up
                        the case steps
                        - I did a static IP assignment as you suggested and this worked
                        - For editing I used emacs which comes on Knoppix (invoked from
                        command line)

                        A couple of notes on the Wiki steps:

                        1. after the reboot one has to "su" back in to do a "deluser"
                        2. it looks like the command should be "passwd <username>" instead of
                        "passwd <yournewpassword>"

                        Now on to the rest of the steps. Is a 2G main partition enough for
                        the OS?

                        Thanks again!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3 1:02 PM
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks to all your help I've passed the Debian installation!
                          > Answering your questions:
                          >
                          > - I followed the Wiki as best as I could, including the opening
                          > up the case steps
                          > - I did a static IP assignment as you suggested and this worked
                          > - For editing I used emacs which comes on Knoppix (invoked from
                          > command line)

                          Good. There are probaby 2 dozen editors on Knoppix that would work.
                          I just get the new Knoppix bootable DVD via bittorrent on my LS. (I
                          haven't burned it yet) I claims to have about 15,000 installed
                          applications on it! (if I read the claims correctly). Imagine how
                          populated the WM menus must be?

                          > A couple of notes on the Wiki steps:
                          >
                          > 1. after the reboot one has to "su" back in to do a "deluser"
                          > 2. it looks like the command should be "passwd <username>" instead
                          > of "passwd <yournewpassword>"

                          Hopefully Wedgemusic can make these corrections.

                          > Now on to the rest of the steps. Is a 2G main partition enough
                          > for the OS?

                          I have lots of stuff installed on mine and yet I've only used 884
                          Megs. I do make extensive use of /dev/hda3 for bulk storage of
                          things (like my Knoppix DVD image, various LS OS images, Web page
                          contents, public FTP area, etc.)

                          > Thanks again!

                          Good to see yet another join the ranks of having a real "manageable"
                          OS installed on their Linkstation.
                        • downlalaway
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 3 4:53 PM
                            I also went through them when I did it -must have missed a few typos too!
                            I've too got unfeasible amounts of stuff on /dev/hda1 including
                            mailservers, webmail, printer drivers, logging/graphing stuff
                            (cacti/rrdtool) and haven't got to 1Gb.
                            So guessing that 2G will be all you ever need (unless you wanted to
                            run KDE/gnome -which might be a bit slow...)