Set the MTU=1492 to match DSL packet size for max speed

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
      You know how when MTU are not matched, packets get fragmented... and
      speed drops.

      If not each time you send a 1500 size packet out on a MTU1492
      network you end up with two packets: 1492 + 8
      That why the speed drops - The second packet is almost empty!!

      If you type: ifconfig eth0
      It will show: MTU = 1500

      Standard MTU to match aDSL (cable) = 1492Max!!

      So set this in a startup file (I used hdparm since I am all over it
      these days)

      Add this line to one of your startup files:
      /bin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

      And yes, the interface eth0 is spelled with a ZERO not a O... save
      you some asle on this one.
      -Sam
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 2:07 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        <glasseron@y...> wrote:
        > You know how when MTU are not matched, packets get fragmented... and
        > speed drops.
        >
        > If not each time you send a 1500 size packet out on a MTU1492
        > network you end up with two packets: 1492 + 8
        > That why the speed drops - The second packet is almost empty!!
        >
        > If you type: ifconfig eth0
        > It will show: MTU = 1500
        >
        > Standard MTU to match aDSL (cable) = 1492Max!!
        >
        > So set this in a startup file (I used hdparm since I am all over it
        > these days)
        >
        > Add this line to one of your startup files:
        > /bin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
        >
        > And yes, the interface eth0 is spelled with a ZERO not a O... save
        > you some asle on this one.
        > -Sam

        hmm.... really interesting...just changed it....is a info valueable to
        mention.....

        regards
        mindbender