Re: interfacing SmartMon - AutoFan

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
      yes I have both WD (newer LS) and Samsung (earlier box) so long they
      keep our data.
      My main recommendation would be not to use a 7200rpm disk
      replacement for the 120Gb besides 5400rpm are cheaper and cooler so
      you may be able to run the fan silent all the time.

      I am doing some testing with smartmon to get a good handle on
      Attribute ID 194. I am trying to find a way to integrate a
      temperature regulation with AutoFan for 5400rpm disk. 7200rpm are
      too hot not to have the fan high while spinning.
      -Sam.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
        About regulating fan speed based on disk SMART temperature
        (SMARTmon)...

        I am done with the testing.
        It turns out it is a bad idea to cycle the fan based on disk temp
        while it is spinning!!

        - Temperature tests with SMART AttributeID=194 show it is hard to
        cool down the disk once it has warmed by running the fan at silent
        speed.

        - Cycling fan on/off based on disk temperature is not practical for
        such a small fan with a hot disk inside a small enclosure.

        - The best way to keep the disk cool is what AutoFan
        does "DiskON=FanON".

        - Thus spinning the disk with a low fan is not an option if you like
        to stay on the good side with all your data. Heat is what kills
        HDD's. Cooler means longer life.

        Test results:
        Buffalo 120Gb/7200Rpm: WD1200BB-00GUA0 - Specs: 20W to start. 8W
        idle. 1W Standby.
        Spinning> FanHIGH 30/32C base temp
        FanLOW +6C in 10mn! (36C and up)
        FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

        After Market 300Gb/7200Rpm: ST3300831A (hot disk)
        Spinning> FanHIGH 39/40C base temp
        FanLOW +4 in 10mn (43C and up)
        FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

        Now if you are crazy like most of us, be my guest. Use these
        smartmon strings for your own testing:
        - - -
        temp_hda="$(/usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda | /bin/grep 194
        | /bin/awk '{print $10}')"
        echo 'The disk temperature is '"$temp_hda"' Celcius'
        # You **need to have smartmon installed** to use the above!
        - - -
        There are some real interesting things to be done to integrate
        smartmon on the LS but that will be different topic for me perhaps
        later this summer... (watchdogs, shutdown, health test and reports)

        I will not integrate Smartmon temperatures to cycle the fan on/off
        while the disk is spinning.
        Just get your LS to let the disk stop and the fan will go silent. If
        the disk does not stop see my FAQ in the file section to
        troubleshoot why the LS keeps writing to your disk.

        -Sam.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "