Re: Cool'n Quiet LS... Nice to have: interface to SmartMon

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
      Just on the earlier note of there mostly being samsungs - I've got a
      WD1200BB caviar in my LS1 (seems nice and quite)
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
      <taubert@g...> wrote:
      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
      > > Hi Derek,
      > >
      > > Got the files, thanks.
      > > What disk do you have in your box?
      >
      > root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
      > smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C)
      2002-4 Bruce Allen
      > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
      >
      > Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
      > MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
      > FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
      > match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
      > MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
      > FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
      > ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
      > OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -F
      samsung2)

      > > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
      > > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
      > >
      > > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
      > >
      > > Do you need to use that option?
      >
      > I don't have to add anything to the command line as the
      smartmontools database
      > figures it out.
      >

      > > Can you paste a copy of your config file
      >
      > I just use one line:
      >
      > /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s
      (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

      > and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to have
      > a simple way to use the e-mail feature...
      >
      > Derek
      >

      > > -Sam.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
      > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I do. See post #544.
      > > >
      > > > etc/init.d/smartd
      > > > etc/smartd.conf
      > > > usr/sbin/smartctl
      > > > usr/sbin/smartd
      > > >
      > > > Just uploaded to the files section...
      > > >
      > > > Derek

      > > Smartmon.
    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
        Derek,
        If you don't have a runing email service, you best shot is to direct
        the email output to the linkstation.log file using script "example3"
        -Sam.
        <taubert@g...> wrote:
        > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
        > > Hi Derek,
        > >
        > > Got the files, thanks.
        > > What disk do you have in your box?
        >
        > root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
        > smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C)
        2002-4 Bruce Allen
        > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
        >
        > Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
        > MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
        > FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
        > match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
        > MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
        > FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
        > ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
        > OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -
        F samsung2)

        > > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the
        config
        > > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
        > >
        > > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none,
        samsung

        > > Do you need to use that option?
        >
        > I don't have to add anything to the command line as the
        smartmontools database
        > figures it out.
        >

        > > Can you paste a copy of your config file
        >
        > I just use one line:
        >
        > /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s
        (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

        > and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to
        have
        > a simple way to use the e-mail feature...
        >
        > Derek
        >

        > > -Sam.
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
        > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I do. See post #544.
        > > >
        > > > etc/init.d/smartd
        > > > etc/smartd.conf
        > > > usr/sbin/smartctl
        > > > usr/sbin/smartd
        > > >
        > > > Just uploaded to the files section...
        > > >
        > > > Derek

        > > Smartmon.
      • Frenchy
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
          yes I have both WD (newer LS) and Samsung (earlier box) so long they
          keep our data.
          My main recommendation would be not to use a 7200rpm disk
          replacement for the 120Gb besides 5400rpm are cheaper and cooler so
          you may be able to run the fan silent all the time.

          I am doing some testing with smartmon to get a good handle on
          Attribute ID 194. I am trying to find a way to integrate a
          temperature regulation with AutoFan for 5400rpm disk. 7200rpm are
          too hot not to have the fan high while spinning.
          -Sam.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
            About regulating fan speed based on disk SMART temperature
            (SMARTmon)...

            I am done with the testing.
            It turns out it is a bad idea to cycle the fan based on disk temp
            while it is spinning!!

            - Temperature tests with SMART AttributeID=194 show it is hard to
            cool down the disk once it has warmed by running the fan at silent
            speed.

            - Cycling fan on/off based on disk temperature is not practical for
            such a small fan with a hot disk inside a small enclosure.

            - The best way to keep the disk cool is what AutoFan
            does "DiskON=FanON".

            - Thus spinning the disk with a low fan is not an option if you like
            to stay on the good side with all your data. Heat is what kills
            HDD's. Cooler means longer life.

            Test results:
            Buffalo 120Gb/7200Rpm: WD1200BB-00GUA0 - Specs: 20W to start. 8W
            idle. 1W Standby.
            Spinning> FanHIGH 30/32C base temp
            FanLOW +6C in 10mn! (36C and up)
            FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

            After Market 300Gb/7200Rpm: ST3300831A (hot disk)
            Spinning> FanHIGH 39/40C base temp
            FanLOW +4 in 10mn (43C and up)
            FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

            Now if you are crazy like most of us, be my guest. Use these
            smartmon strings for your own testing:
            - - -
            temp_hda="$(/usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda | /bin/grep 194
            | /bin/awk '{print $10}')"
            echo 'The disk temperature is '"$temp_hda"' Celcius'
            # You **need to have smartmon installed** to use the above!
            - - -
            There are some real interesting things to be done to integrate
            smartmon on the LS but that will be different topic for me perhaps
            later this summer... (watchdogs, shutdown, health test and reports)

            I will not integrate Smartmon temperatures to cycle the fan on/off
            while the disk is spinning.
            Just get your LS to let the disk stop and the fan will go silent. If
            the disk does not stop see my FAQ in the file section to
            troubleshoot why the LS keeps writing to your disk.

            -Sam.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "