Re: USB printer setup

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      Don't know if LS2 fimware does support the samsung printer (one may be
      similar enough to work it)- there may be a set of drivers that one can
      compile or drop in to make it do so. This might not be so straight
      forward but depends on your linux. You'll need telnet access. The
      place to find out about printer compatibility & drivers is
      linuxprinting.org which will give an idea of whether it could ever be
      supported and in what way (some manufacturers don't help).

      The apparent lack of printer support ( started me off down the road of
      turning it into a full presonal server as a learning exercise.

      By the way if you've got a linkstation 2 (with firmware 2.xx on it)
      then the firmware versions 1.4x are completely incompatible -
      different processors. It will mess it up significantly but maybe(?)
      not terminally. Versions 1.4x are for the powerPC LS1 version -I've
      got one of these.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Cassidy"
      <peter@c...> wrote:
      > Sorry if this is a newbie question but....
      >
      > I want to use the Linkstation (ver 1.45) as a print server for a
      Samsung CLP-510.

      > Looking in the setup menu it has support for either postscrip or a
      load of Epson printers?

      > Is there any pdf or other info showing how to setup for something
      like the CLP-510 as I don't believe it is a postscript printer and it
      certainly isn't an Epson?

      > Best Regards
      > Peter Cassidy
      >
      > Cassidy Consulting Ltd
      > Tel: 01323 521940
      > Fax: 01323 521948
      > Mobile: 07956 976236
      > Email: peter@c...
      >
      > Blainslie House
      > 6 Nevill Avenue
      > Eastbourne
      > East Sussex
      > BN22 9PT
      > UK
      >
      > Confidentiality notice:
      > The information contained in this email is confidential.
      > You may not use, copy, print or forward this to any
      > others parties or use it's contents in any way whatsoever.
      > If you are not the intended recipient we would appreciate
      > you replying to let us know that you received it incorrectly.
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Peter,

        the list of printers seems to be irrelevant for windows users. I have
        chosen "postscript" for my Samsung ML-1450 (which does not support
        postscript) and it works fine with my LS (1.45_13).
        This is the way to go: The samba network share of your LS is showing a
        lpt1-device once you connect a usb printer to your LS and have enabled
        a usb printer in the LS webinterface (again, you may choose
        postscript). When you connect to / install this printer with windows
        (right click on it in the network share), you are asked to install a
        driver. I installed the GDI driver that came with my printer. You may
        as well choose any driver that windows accepts/suggests. The LS seems
        to handle the printing transparently, i.e. just passes bits and bytes
        to the usb device, so there is no problem. I installed a PCL driver
        later, duplex printing works fine, etc.
        There is just one catch: The communication is one-way, such that
        scanner and/of fax recieve features will not work. Everything else
        should.
        I do not know why they do not advertise the printserver as generic
        (maybe for mac or linux environments it is important, but postscipt is
        fairly widespread there). Maybe there are problems with some specific
        printer models. But windows users are definitely not bound to the
        epson-or-postscript printer list.

        best,
        h.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

      • Peter Cassidy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          Thanks very much for that, will try it out later today.

          Regards
          Peter