Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: newbie question on - usb sync with laptop

  • Nicholas Pappas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      The LinkStation is not an external USB hard drive, which is what
      you appear to be trying to use it as. It is not meant to be plugged
      directly into another computer via the USB.
      Its a network file server. You need to connect it to your computer
      via an ethernet cable -- generally via a switch or hub. A cable would
      come from your computer in the switch, and another cable would run
      between your LinkStation and the switch. The two can now talk to each
      other.
      What balimbabullabe suggested is a "crossover" cable. This is a
      special ethernet cable to removed the need for a hub. You can connect
      your computer and your LinkStation directly with such a cable (you can
      not with a regular ethernet cable). But if your computer's ethernet
      port is already taken, you'll have to go the switch route.
      You can run a search for some key words on google and probably find
      some really good sites that can explain it better then any of us can via
      a mailing list. Not knowing how much you know about networks, it is
      difficult to explain with only text. Pictures help, a lot. :)

      samir_sood wrote:
      > thank you and excuse my ignorance but could you explain this further.
      > thank you
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
      > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
      >
      >>I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
      >
      > need
      >
      >>this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
      >>hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
      >
      > used.
      >
      >>I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
      >>the network cable.
      >>

      >>>i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using

      >>>usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
      >>>recognize the link station. any suggestions would be very
      >
      > helpful.
      >
      >>>thank you
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bertram Doerfler
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005

        The linkstation is a network device, not a USB device. The usb ports are there to connect usb hardware to the linkstation (like external hard drives, printers,…). As you have a IBM t42 notebook, you do not need a crossover cable, the network port is recognizing what type of connection you have. So, just plug the networkcable that came with your linkstation in the network port of the linkstation and the networkport of your computer and start the linkstation software…

        ernibert1973

        <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

        > I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
        need
        > this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
        > hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
        used.
        > I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
        > the network cable.
        >
        > > i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using
        > > usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
        > > recognize the link station.  any suggestions would be very
        helpful.
        > > thank you

      • samir_sood
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
          thank you
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
          <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > The linkstation is a network device, not a USB device. The usb
          ports are
          > there to connect usb hardware to the linkstation (like external
          hard drives,
          > printers,.). As you have a IBM t42 notebook, you do not need a
          crossover
          > cable, the network port is recognizing what type of connection you
          have. So,
          > just plug the networkcable that came with your linkstation in the
          network
          > port of the linkstation and the networkport of your computer and
          start the
          > linkstation software.
          >

          > ernibert1973
          >

          > _____